Acura World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My experience w/ Extended Warranty Company and my local BMW Service Shop....

This is what my extended warranty company (EWC) just picked up the tab for:

Leaking Valve Cover Gaskets
Water Pump
New Radiator (the EWC sent it out)

This comes out to about $1350 in Parts & Labor (not including cost of new radiator since it was sent by EWC).

We are also going to do a new exhaust Manifold within the next couple weeks because the guys at the dealership 'heard' a very slight rattle while accelerating (love these guys at Patrick BMW!).

BTW, for those of you interested in an extended warranty, I was told by the service rep at Patrick BMW that he really likes this company that I have since they are very passive w/ work being done on the car.

The name of the company is Car Warranties Direct ( www.carwarrantiesdirect.com ). If you have mileage UNDER 50k, then you are eligible for a FACTORY extended warranty through them!!!

I paid $1900 for a 48 month/48,000 mile extended warranty when I had a little over 50k miles on my car for their BEST plan w/ $0 deductible and $25/day for rental if the repair takes more than 8 hours (if you have less than 50k miles on your car, you can get the same warranty for around $1000). Just passing the words of my service guy on to you guys who are looking for extended warranties.

Patrick BMW (Big Thumbs Up!)
Car Warranties Direct (Big Thumbs Up!)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Crazy_AcurA said:
but would our acura dealers honor this warrenty as how your bmw does? :dunno:
If its a dealership, they will honor the warranty. Its just a different way for them to get paid. They don't care where the $ comes from.

Seems to me that if you get an EW, then you actually get MORE fixed on your car since the they know that the factory isn't paying for the parts and labor.

·
Transform and roll out
5,506 Posts
is this company as anal as Acura is about having mods on the cars? Like if you put in springs and one of your shocks fail as a result of a manufacturing defect, will they try to pin it on the new springs?

·
Registered
24 Posts
fahoumh said:
is this company as anal as Acura is about having mods on the cars? Like if you put in springs and one of your shocks fail as a result of a manufacturing defect, will they try to pin it on the new springs?
hhhmmmmm,
Wonder what this means?

Non-Eligible Vehicles
All vehicles over 100,000 miles, Alfa Romeo, AMC, Aston Martin, Audi Quattro, Bentley, BMW 700/800/M Series, Cadillac 4.1 Liter Engine, Conquest, Corvette (ZR1)(6spd), Delorean, Dodge Viper, Eagle Premier, Exotic Cars, Ferrari, Fiat, Grey Market Cars, Hummers, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lancia, Land Rover Discovery, Land Rover Livery, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes 500/600/SL, Merkur, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Modified Vehicles , Peugeot, Range Rover, Renault, Rolls Royce, Sterling, Yugo, All 10 & 12 Cylinder Vehicles, any Vehicle Primarily used for Commercial Purposes, or Rental Vehicles.

:dunno:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fahoumh said:
With extended warranty companies, they never see your car (unless they suspect something like abuse or fraud from the dealer).

When you come in w/ an extended warranty, its in the dealers' best interest to point out as MANY things as possible which need to be replaced under warranty. You don't pay a dime (unless you have a $50-$200 deduct.) and w/ that, its a win - win situation for both you and the dealer.

When I took my car in, I took it in for the 3 things posted and they started to shake and examine other things (which they most likely would not do if I still had a factory BMW warranty since it comes out of BMWs pocket) and they ended up finding that my exhaust manifold rattled 'a little bit' (which for them meant that it MUST be replaced!). My service guy didn't even ask me if I wanted it replaced, he just ordered it and told me to come back next week and he'll have a loaner for me ready in the morning.

Extended warranties = :beerchug: :bigok:

However, that can quickly change when they don't cover the exclusionary items such as light bulbs, door seals, etc... (more like wear & tear items which are generally covered under factory warranty). For me so far, I've got $1300 out of the warranty company for my repairs and I paid them $1900 for the warranty. Not too bad so far, the next repair w/ the exhaust manifold is supposed to be around $800 (parts & labor).

My .02.

·
Transform and roll out
5,506 Posts
Iggy said:
hhhmmmmm,
Wonder what this means?

Non-Eligible Vehicles
All vehicles over 100,000 miles, Alfa Romeo, AMC, Aston Martin, Audi Quattro, Bentley, BMW 700/800/M Series, Cadillac 4.1 Liter Engine, Conquest, Corvette (ZR1)(6spd), Delorean, Dodge Viper, Eagle Premier, Exotic Cars, Ferrari, Fiat, Grey Market Cars, Hummers, Jensen, Lamborghini, Lancia, Land Rover Discovery, Land Rover Livery, Lotus, Maserati, Mercedes 500/600/SL, Merkur, Mitsubishi 3000GT, Modified Vehicles , Peugeot, Range Rover, Renault, Rolls Royce, Sterling, Yugo, All 10 & 12 Cylinder Vehicles, any Vehicle Primarily used for Commercial Purposes, or Rental Vehicles.

well, Driven's car isn't exactly stock, so I figured they're flexible...there's no need for sarcasim :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Iggy said:

hhhmmmmm,
Wonder what this means?

Non-Eligible Vehicles

Its in the dealers' best interest to NOT mention your modifications, so I doubt they'd do that (unless they are brought up by priests, which is highly unlikely because the guy wouldn't be working at a dealership).

EDIT: BTW, I had my resonator taken out and in its place had a straight pipe put through it. This VOIDs the factory warranty on ANY exhaust system part since they consider it to put extra wear on the parts (don't know why :dunno: ). However, even after being presented w/ a visual confirmation of that resonator missing, they still went ahead and ordered the new parts (my service guy said, "It should be 0 problems getting them to approve this. Might as well get everything done that you need now."). Again...:boink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.