Acura World banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally figured out what components Im going to be using after talking it over with several ppl from here, other websites and stores. This price does not include install or my alarm.

Kenwood KVT-911DVD - 6.5" Screen/DVD/TV/Radio/Multimedia Contol Center - $2,279.20
Kenwood KNA-DV2100 - Navigation System - $2024.40
Kenwood KGC-9044 - Equalizer - $273
Kenwood KDS-P900 - Dolby Digital 5.1 Decoder - $414.40
Kenwood KDV-C810 - 10 Disk DVD/ CD Changer - $960.40
Kenwood KSC-900CTR - Center Channel Speaker w/ Amp - $224
JL Audio 500/1 - Mono Amp - $450
JL Audio 300/4 - Multi Channel Amp - $400
2 JL Audio 10w3-D4 - 10" Subwoofers - $350 ($175 each)
Infinity 62.5i - 6 1/2" 2 Way Speakers - waiting on pricing for these

Total - $7,375.40 plus speakers

Once again this does not include the price of install and my Compustar2 WSS-AS Alarm/Remote Starter. I'll let you know how much the speakers are when I get them and same with the Alarm. Oh yes, I will have a custom installed PS2, but not for a while. I'll let you know how it comes out. Comments please.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Beason:
I posted in your other post...and before I continue...I am a wee bit biased because I usually get pretty low prices but...

I recently purchased a KVT-911DVD from a retailer I got to know through eBay for $1300. Brand new, factory warranted KVT-911DVD's can be had on eBay for around $1400-$1700. The navigation system has similar prices...around $1200-$1500. I haven't checked on the KGC-9044 recently, nor the KDS-P900, though I seem to remember the latter at around $300. The KDV-C810 I sent a friend to a retailer to buy it at $700. The 500/1 I used to get at $325...unfortunately my hookup on that is MIA right now. The 300/4 was I believe $300. And the 10w3's can be had most places for $130 each.

So basically you're paying way too much...you can save probable $1100 at least. I would suggest not buying from a retailer...which I am assuming you are doing. If you are not comfortable installing this yourself, ok. However, it will save you a serious amount of money to do a little more research and not buy from a standard shop or brand retailer...

Austin519

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
Good call Austin. I was gonna say, I'm gonna buy my KNA-DVD2100 for less than a grand through a friend/dealer. All factory warrantied.

Beason, did you shop around? Or just go full retail at Circuit City cuz money ain't a thang for you?:dunno:

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
baggsTLS:
That's what I'm thinking...because Beason your prices sound like you went up to a local dealer and just said I want all this...how much is it? And he of course tried to ream you...there's nothing wrong with that approach if you're not worried about cost...but I mean...if you are...

Austin519

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldnt let Circuit City of Best Buy anywhere near my car. Im getting a good installer to do my work. Done some friends and people Ive talked to really like his stuff. Yeah I've done research. Looked at several stores, online, friends, and even u austin, but still would rather spend a $1000 more and make my installer happy and much easier to work with if i have problems, then pissing him off and getting a half-ass install cuzed i pissed him off trying to save a little money. Or buying from e-bay, I've done that before, got jacked 200 bucks on speakers, and dont want to run the chance of getting robbed again or getting a used product that aint as good as new. So yes I can save a little bit of money by shopping around, but hes been real nice so I might as well be nice to him and help him out a little.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alarm Update

Going to be using the Compustar 2WSS-AS w/ Clifford Proximity Sensors. Then going to install 3 bright red LED's that turn on when security activated. One in each of the 2 front doors and one in the center of the dash right near the window. Incase my alarm does go off I'll have 4 strobe lights that will start blinking, basically enough to blind and disorient burglar if at night. Then going to install an air horn for more sound if set off. Visual, Audible, and Electronic (via Compustar pager) noticiation if alarm is set off.

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
Re: Alarm Update

Beason said:
Going to be using the Compustar 2WSS-AS w/ Clifford Proximity Sensors. Then going to install 3 bright red LED's that turn on when security activated. One in each of the 2 front doors and one in the center of the dash right near the window. Incase my alarm does go off I'll have 4 strobe lights that will start blinking, basically enough to blind and disorient burglar if at night. Then going to install an air horn for more sound if set off. Visual, Audible, and Electronic (via Compustar pager) noticiation if alarm is set off.
nice, I'm planning to do the same with an LED cluster wired to the shock sensor's first stage. Bright as @&#*. And comes on before the alarm goes off. just as a "warning".

air horns are a nice idea!:D

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
Beason said:
I wouldnt let Circuit City of Best Buy anywhere near my car. Im getting a good installer to do my work. Done some friends and people Ive talked to really like his stuff. Yeah I've done research. Looked at several stores, online, friends, and even u austin, but still would rather spend a $1000 more and make my installer happy and much easier to work with if i have problems, then pissing him off and getting a half-ass install cuzed i pissed him off trying to save a little money. Or buying from e-bay, I've done that before, got jacked 200 bucks on speakers, and dont want to run the chance of getting robbed again or getting a used product that aint as good as new. So yes I can save a little bit of money by shopping around, but hes been real nice so I might as well be nice to him and help him out a little.
I've been installing all my prior setups with my friend/installer (friend first) and he can get way better pricing. :eek: He's been going to CES and EEE trade shows, making mad connections and none require the inital $10-15k+ buy in. Your homie should be doing this too and HOOKIN' IT UP for you!!

Anyway, good luck with the install....remember to take pix!

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Beason:
Beason said:
Looked at several stores, online, friends, and even u austin, but still would rather spend a $1000 more and make my installer happy and much easier to work with if i have problems, then pissing him off and getting a half-ass install cuzed i pissed him off trying to save a little money....So yes I can save a little bit of money by shopping around, but hes been real nice so I might as well be nice to him and help him out a little.
Well again, it's your choice...but if he was a good installer this wouldn't factor into it. Any installer who's given you those prices is trying to milk you...so I wouldn't say he's being really nice. The good installers I know would agree with me that it wouldn't matter to them whether you bought the stuff from them or not, getting it installed by them is still business for them, and making you waste an extra $1000-$2000 just to "make him happy" is crazy. But, it sounds like you have that much money to waste...and if you do and it makes you comfortable, then go ahead and do it :D.

Austin519

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I got 11k just sitting around in my car account. Need another 4k to get wheels, tires and brakes. Yeah what installer would youd suggest Austin? I can truck the car up basically anywhere. Thats what we did with my bro when he wanted his soundsystem. Give me some names and shops and I'll look into it. And can you help me out here....... http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5228 . Thank you.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Beason:
First this question:
Monitor Placement-
I'm Debating between Visors or Headrests. Got a 6.5" display in the Dash for all to see.

It all depends on what you want. If you have them in the headrests obviously the people in the rear get to see better than they would with the center dash screen. It's really annoying for everyone in the back to have to look between the two front seats to see the screen...and usually 1) the glare is bad from the back and 2) you have the screen angled so the people in the front can see it (obviously) which makes it harder for those in the back to see it.

Then again, if you never have anyone in the back, or don't care about anyone being able to see the screens in the back, then visors would be better as it would give one screen per person, up close for them to see. It's all in what you're trying to accomplish.

Now on to your installer question...I really would like to see you save some money by buying your parts elsewhere...because even if you're filthy rich...you can always spend the saved money somewhere else. For a good installer I suggest emailing [email protected], ATTN: Bill Burton and asking Bill (a now somewhat distant friend of mine at Mobile Entertainment magazine) to recommend good installers in your area or somewhere within a state or two (I don't even know where you live). Also I am sure Ron ([email protected]) could tell you some good people to bring it to. And last but not least Ron himself does some good work, in fact I'll be driving from AL to NJ for us to work together on my a/v in my car before beginning to show it, and I think everyone knows how picky I am :D.

As for the units you want...I can look up prices for you if you like. Although you are scared of eBay...there are a LOT of wholesalers and retailers on eBay that just get large shipments and try to sell some off so they don't have inventory...so you would buy only from those, not the little one person groups with 5 feedback. You'd buy one brand new with a warranty from one of the large groups. You may also want to check out www.electronicgiant.com (they will negotiate with you for large purchases) and www.etronics.com. Those are some good online retailers I have dealt with.

Austin519

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ron is doing my install.:D I live in LA, da state. Probally gonna truck it up there for two weeks and leave it and the truck. Then have my dad fly me back home and when its ready have him fly me back pick up the car and truck it back.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I looked at E-Bay and used the Buy-It Now price, they did not have three of the items I wanted, Changer, Decoder and Center Channel. Austin 519 I need ur email, I got a file i need to email ya, but here is what it basically says......

Online stores versus E-Bay....$373.90 less at E-Bay
Installer versus E-Bay.... $895.60 less at E-Bay
Installer versus Online Stores.......$518.46 less Online

All these prices are equivelent to each other. If one didnt have a component I subtracted the price of the componet from the price of the one who did. Like on E-bay, they didnt have 3 things, so I subtracted the pirces of the three objects from Online and my Installers Price so they would be even. I'm not gonna say that I cant save money on E-Bay, it right there. But I just dont trust E-bay. I've been screwed by ppl on E-bay and so have my friends. I bought Home Speakers for $600 and they never showed up, but its been taken out of my account. SCREWED!!! My friends bought and Alpine Mono Amp from one of the ppl that looks legit and says its new. It had the top lid bent and cracked. They would not take it back. So I havent had ANY luck with e-bay and I dont want to get screwed again.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Beason:
That's why you use online payments like Paypal :). So far in all my eBay dealings 3 people have tried to screw me. The one guy I didn't use online payments for I called his local PD to pay him a visit, and got my money back. The other two I just told my online payment company that he screwed me, forwarded all our emails, and got all my money back in 24 hours. Pretty painless for the money you save. But for some they just won't do eBay and that's fine. At least though do it online...and I'll read that PM now...

Austin519

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Im 1 for 1 on being screwed by E-Bay, should I keep my record going? Still looking online, but if It aint over a $100 difference I know I wont waste my time. You saw in the document I sent ya that there are like 3 items over 100 dollar difference. So, I'm still looking online, but still probally going to go w/ Ron. If u can find anyone that has a price on the Decoder, DVD Changer, or Center Channel Speaker, foward them my e-mail or tell me about them.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Beason:
I'll look. It's your choice...and Ron's a friend so I'm happy either way :)

Austin519

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Beason:
I will...make sure to send me an email to remind me ([email protected])...I'm checking prices for 5 people on different stuff...hard to keep track...

Austin519

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.