Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2001 MDX navigation screen has started going dark on occasion. A good punch on the dashboard usually brings it back on, still running (not rebooting). This suggests a loose connection somewhere nearby the screen.

Before I start pulling the dash apart, I thought I'd ask here if anyone's experienced this- and if so, any ideas?

Any helpful hints on accessing the rear of the unit?

Many thanks-

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having a very similar, probably the same problem with my 2001 MDX.

My nav screen is black, but occasionally after hitting a pothole or something it will come back. When it's "Back" it works just fine.

I've also noticed that when I have a passenger, it's more likely to work.. which makes me wonder if it's not tied into the passenger airbag sensor.

Last, Yesterday I plugged in my cellphone to the AC port next to the ashtray, the nav screen started flashing AND my cell phone would intermittently show "charging" or not charging. Clearly it's a power issue... either a loose connection or a frayed wire somewhere. My MDX has 162k miles on it and runs great (knock wood) but I do not want to spend crazy money to have this fixed. I consider it a design flaw that the AC controls are thru the NAV system in the first place.

If you figure it out, please let me know!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2002 MDX nav screen. Alpine repaired it for $128 (including return freight) flat rate in less than one week. The guy said it was a crack in the solder on the electronic board, which allowed it to work sometimes, but fade to black when it warmed up. If you are handy with electronic boards, you could look for a similar problem. Otherwise, I believe the flat rate applies to any repair to the nav screen. Several years ago, there was a dealer TSO that related to the same Alpine repair (ie, dealer removed and sent to Alpine) for about $250, but my friendly service rep wanted $3,000 to replace the unit. Alpine will deal direct with you, the end user. Removal and reinstall is relatively easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry, I forgot that you asked how to get to the unit. You have to undo the trim pieces below the nav unit (ie, down by the coin tray). There are three pieces -- the coin tray, the unit the coin tray is stuck into that has the power outlet, and the trim below and behind that piece (kind of curved). Your hand hits this piece if you reach into the open storage space and reach to the back. This last piece comes out first and is only attached by clips. The second piece is attached by three or four screws (but do not remove the three brass screws that simply hold part of the assembly together). The coin tray slides out of course.

Once you have removed these pieces, you can carefully curl your fingers under the bottom of the trim surround and push out the bottom carefully to disengage the clips. Then carefully work your way upward to disengage side clips, top clips, and electrical connectors. Then the screws holding in the nav unit, etc. are exposed.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 2002 MDX nav screen. Alpine repaired it for $128 (including return freight) flat rate in less than one week. The guy said it was a crack in the solder on the electronic board, which allowed it to work sometimes, but fade to black when it warmed up. If you are handy with electronic boards, you could look for a similar problem. Otherwise, I believe the flat rate applies to any repair to the nav screen. Several years ago, there was a dealer TSO that related to the same Alpine repair (ie, dealer removed and sent to Alpine) for about $250, but my friendly service rep wanted $3,000 to replace the unit. Alpine will deal direct with you, the end user. Removal and reinstall is relatively easy.
Any chance you still have the contact information?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts