Acura World banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started up my car the other day and the Navi's touchscreen froze up. I couldn't touch the OK button on the disclaimer. The joystick's pushbutton worked, though.

So I turned the car off and started it back up again. Same thing. I used the joystick and tried jabbing a couple of buttons on the screen with no response.

Suddenly the unit came back to life and the touchscreen works as well as before.

Alpine, fix your #!*&@ buggy software! :rant:

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,477 Posts
Here's a good test for you guys.

Try that with the moonroof open and shining direct sunlight on the screen...guaranteed, your touch screen will be buggy.

At first I freaked out...but now I know that whenever it does this, I just use my other hand as a shade over the screen while the other hand enters in my pin#.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
edgalang said:

Try that with the moonroof open and shining direct sunlight on the screen...guaranteed, your touch screen will be buggy.

At first I freaked out...but now I know that whenever it does this, I just use my other hand as a shade over the screen while the other hand enters in my pin#.
Ah, I bet you it's the IR sensors getting blinded by the sun... OK, I'll try this out later!

·
Oracle11iGuru
252 Posts
yep happened to me too when my sunroof is open and the sun bakes on my Navi screen

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,477 Posts
TLover8888 said:

you can have PIN number so only you, the owner, can use the NAVI? how?
Just like how there's the his and her's memory seat, there is also a his and her's memory setting in the NAV. Anyone can use the nav...but there is an area where only YOU can have access too...the address book. You dont want the guy who stole your car to have access to everyone's address right? I use my adress book everyday...even if I already know how to get there. :p

·
Registered
192 Posts
edgalang said:

Just like how there's the his and her's memory seat, there is also a his and her's memory setting in the NAV. Anyone can use the nav...but there is an area where only YOU can have access too...the address book. You dont want the guy who stole your car to have access to everyone's address right? I use my adress book everyday...even if I already know how to get there. :p

i take it this is only on the '02? i have a '00

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,086 Posts
Crazy_Jizzal said:
yea mine does that, only when its hot out though. :dunno:
Yeah, that's why we need a cover on NAV screen. :(

·
Registered
387 Posts
My '01 navi has the dual user address book with PIN code. I thought all of them have it? You press "Personal Addresses" and then it prompts you to enter your PIN.

Bimmer navi doesn't suffer from the sunlight drowning out the touchscreen cause the massively overpriced, overly complicated navi system doesn't even feature a touchscreen.

I don't know whether Lexus uses an IR sensor array like ours or a resistive film sensor. If it uses IR, then it'll respond like ours and occasionally act up in heat and direct sunlight.

·
White Diamond Pearl '02 Acura TL Type S w/Navi
83 Posts
edgalang said:

Ha, ha! This just happened to me the other day! I left work, hopped into my car and noticed that I had left the moonroof shade open. Tried to hit the "OK" button on the Navi but it just sat there. I pressed it about two more times before I figured out that the sun was probably messing me up. So in a fit of desperation I hit the joystick! WooHoo... back in action until the damn thing cooled off!

Now all I need is some kind of Navi-Cover...

V.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I haven't had the frozen screen yet, but I've had it not come on at all. I start the car and the screen stays blank. Turn the car off/on and it's ok.

It's only done it 2-3 times. The problem was - it did it while I was trying to impress some chick. What luck...

·
Registered
387 Posts
erik said:
on the pin code screen, i can bypass it without having to punch in the numbers by just pressing OK. so much for security :rolleyes:
that's because you haven't setup a pin yet. If you go to the setup screen and setup a pin, then you will be required to enter the valid pin before it takes you to your address book.

;)

·
White Diamond Pearl '02 Acura TL Type S w/Navi
83 Posts
Bebber said:

that's because you haven't setup a pin yet. If you go to the setup screen and setup a pin, then you will be required to enter the valid pin before it takes you to your address book.;)
LOL! Wouldn't that be a bitch if it DID lock him out and he hadn't entered a P.I.N. yet? :laugh:

V.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here's a little tid bit I discovered a while back on the navi.

Scroll down a bit for the pics and movie:
navi link

Iggy

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,980 Posts
Iggy said:
Here's a little tid bit I discovered a while back on the navi.

Scroll down a bit for the pics and movie:
navi link

Iggy
woah, that was a really interesting read, thanks :) :bigok:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.