Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a 2002 Acura 3.2TL (not S) with navigation. The navigation screen is deteriorating - it looks like plastic wrap that is wrinkled. Does anyone know how this can be fixed, if it can be fixed? Also, if the only fix is to replace the factory installed navigator, is it possible to install a better and/or cheaper navigator? Finally, since the navigator controls are tied in with the A/C heating control, can those controls be replaced if I use an aftermarket navigator? Thanks for your help. I have attached two photos of the navigation screen.

IMG_20131125_115936.jpg

IMG_20131125_115947.jpg

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Since its integrated with the HVAC I would think that the only cost effective way would be to replace it with an OE screen. I highly doubt you can buy JUST the screen and service it yourself. There would be very fine soldering involved I would assume. Our OE vendor on here (hondaacuraplanet) would be able to tell you for sure. Other than OE your only option would be some custom aftermarket piece that is designed specifically for the vehicle due to the hvac controls.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
That's not a soldering job that you want to attempt yourself, unless you're highly experienced. Too easy to burn traces.....just a little too much heat, and your project is scrap.

The only way to replace is with a new or used display. Looks like some sort of old chemical damage, possibly from a cleaner or something?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Tim,

The damage is actually inside of the screen - it's hard to see that on the picture I posted. I've only had the car for 2.5 years and have never cleaned the screen, so I'm not sure how the damage could be from a cleaner. It's been slowly deteriorating for the last year or so.

I'll hold out as long as I can before I replace it because it's still in good working order and I know it's expensive to replace.

When the time comes to replace it, I would definitely settle for a used item b/c the car is 11 years old with over 100K miles. Is it possible to get an inexpensive replacement?

Thanks again.

- David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yeah, it's pretty cheap on ebay. A friend of mine from DSRLeasing had his screen crashed also, cheap replacement. So, what did you do?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts