Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I just need a little advice...

I have to have my timing belt service done SOON :cry: since I'm now at 110,000miles ($$$!) But I'm also concerned something else, and wonder if it's something (a) that can wait and (b) is really what I think it is?

It started in Sept when I took my car to be inspected. Mechanic said back tires were cupping and that it was a sign that rotors would need to be replaced. He didn't seem terribly concerned though, so that was that. Then a few weeks ago, I started hearing a clunking noise from the back passenger wheel area as I come to a stop. Not terribly loud or anything. And it happens again as I start back from a stop. Don't hear anything on bumps specifically or at higher speeds.

When I called the dealer to make the appointment for the timing belt, I asked if he could give me an estimate if the rotors in fact needed replacing. When I told him what it was doing, he said that sounded nothing like rotors and he thought shocks instead....

I realize it's not a science to diagnosing over the phone OR internet, buuuut just wondering if this rings a bell with anyone, and what I may expect...and it is something that can wait a while until I get over the shellshock of the timing belt work?:paranoid:

Thanks in advance!!

Amy

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Hello Amy,

Welcome to AcuraWorld! :)

Well let's see.....

The dealer diagnosis 100% correct. Bad brakes will never cause tire wear. The rotors aren't the cause. Tire cupping is usually caused by wheel hop, usually from worn shocks/struts.

If it was a choice of which to do first, I'd say the timing belt service. Other than rear tires and an annoying noise, the struts being bad won't cause any further damage to the car itself....while the timing belt, if not replaced, can snap down the road leading to a HUGE bill for an engine rebuild.

But don't be nervous about it, I don't think you're into "danger" territory there just yet.....just get it done at your earliest convenience in the near future.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you SO much! You've made me feel much better. I've got it in the shop today to do the timing belt work. The honda dealership gave me a much better price than acura, so I took it there. I'll deal w/ the shocks/struts later.

thank you, thank you, thank you!:wavey:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts