Acura World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My computer which is a Compaq Evo 500 keeps freezing. I'm running w/ 98 on it. It freezes for about 10 seconds and then comes back w/ a 'clunk' type noise from the desktop.

Any hints as to what might be causing this?

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,527 Posts
reformat that sucker :)

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Usually if it is freezing up, it freeezes until you reboot. Sounds like maybe the hd is having some issues...:dunno:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nootch said:
Usually if it is freezing up, it freeezes until you reboot. Sounds like maybe the hd is having some issues...:dunno:
Yeah I know its weird. I just ripped out all the memory on the board (384MB: Compaq 256MB + No Name brand 128MB) and replaced it w/ one brand new Kingston 256MB chip.

Hope this works.

·
Moderator?
9,839 Posts
Sounds like the hard drive. Do a full scandisk (with surface scan) and watch its progress. If it hangs up in certain spots, even if scandisk shows the disk is OK, you have bad sectors.

·
Premium Member
13,838 Posts
What he said. Clunks could be the heads crashing or searching on a bad sector.

mdaniel said:
Sounds like the hard drive. Do a full scandisk (with surface scan) and watch its progress. If it hangs up in certain spots, even if scandisk shows the disk is OK, you have bad sectors.

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,113 Posts
It's simple, back up what you have on the computer that you want to save, and just pop up in the quick restore CDs that compaq gives you and restore that thing back to factory settings. Best thing for the machine. All the crap you loaded or anything wrong with registry or overwriting dlls will be gone and it will be like the day you bought the computer. Just save all your shit and clean up the computer when you load everything back on there.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help guys, but I think it was the memory. I haven't had one freeze yet (new record of 2 hours where as the old record stood for 10 min.)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts