Acura World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
A-Spec Fan
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a set of TL-S wheels as part of my suspension upgrade project. I had been planning on buying a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires in 225/50/17. However, these tires are backordered everywhere and it looks like it's going to be a long wait. I am therefore researching other options. I'm looking for a good high-performance tire with both decent dry and wet/snow traction. I know that it's hard to find both in the same tire, but perhaps some of you who've upgraded your tires can help here. I'd definitely like to go with the 225/50/17 size so that I don't compromise the ride too much, and keep the rolling diameter as close to ideal as possible.

Help?

Thanks!
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
the bridgestone so3 and the re730 are the two models i am looking at right now, they are both excellent tires. fyi the new m3 is using the so3. however i am not sure about their performance in snow though
 

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
Joined
·
81 Posts
I bought the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP for my 2000 TL (225/55/16). They handle so good that I haven't bought sway bars. Before these tires, I thought the handling was pretty bad. Now the handling is awesome and really good in the wet, which was another of my criteria. These come standard on the new Corvettes.

Check out the Ultra High Performance Tire ratings at TireRack.com.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/uhp.jsp

David
 

·
A-Spec Fan
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SuperDave said:
I bought the Firestone Firehawk SZ50 EP for my 2000 TL (225/55/16).
David
Thanks for the suggestion. They're not made in the size I want, though...

I'm looking into the Bridgestones, though, as they fit a TL-S wheel.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
290 Posts
I just had my S03's mounted last Saturday. So far they are awesome! They are probably the best tire I have ever used on any car (Dunlop SP Sport 8000/9000, Michelin Pilot SX-GT, Yokohama A520). They are also surprisingly quite and comfy.

I got the 225 45 18 size...

Bryan

neuronbob said:


Thanks for the suggestion. They're not made in the size I want, though...

I'm looking into the Bridgestones, though, as they fit a TL-S wheel.
 

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
Joined
·
81 Posts
My bad. They are a popular tire so I thought they would be in most sizes. I probably should have checked the sizes before posting. You are looking at the right selection of tires though. Good luck.

David
 

·
A-Spec Fan
Joined
·
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some thorough research, I think I'm going to go with the Dunlop Sport SP 5000 symmetricals in the stock TL-S tire size, 215/50/17. I consistently hear good things about their wet and dry performance, and they have decent snow performance. AND there's no national back order. I would've preferred to go with a 225/50/17 tire, but again, after research, it appears that that size is a little odd. If I get a flat, it's much easier to replace a 215/50/17 than 225/50/17, at least around here.

Any case, before I buy, does anyone have comments about these tires? Thanks.
 

·
2001 3.2 TL-P
Joined
·
111 Posts
I had a set of the Firestone SZ50EP's on my '95 Alfa 164 Q. I loved the tires, but MAN they wore out fast! I got less than 10,000 miles out of them. And yes, I rotated, balanced, and kept the pressure at 36-38 lbs.

The Alfa is 3500 lbs, FWD, and 230 bhp/205 lb's torque.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,827 Posts
Calimike here has had the Dunlops on his CLS 6-speed - hit him up and he should tell ya how they were if I'm remembering correctly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
317 Posts
FYI, Tire Rack is closing out the Firestone Firehawk SZ50s, 215/50/17, for $88 per tire. These are not the EPs. The treadwear rating is only around 220, but at $88 per, who cares.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
The pilot's are a great choice, I really like them, I'd suggest you wait for them, or order them or the 'net somewhere. But if ya wanna get something else, get the bridgestone potenza's. I've only heard good about these.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
1,959 Posts
neuronbob said:
I just purchased a set of TL-S wheels as part of my suspension upgrade project. I had been planning on buying a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires in 225/50/17. However, these tires are backordered everywhere and it looks like it's going to be a long wait. I am therefore researching other options. I'm looking for a good high-performance tire with both decent dry and wet/snow traction. I know that it's hard to find both in the same tire, but perhaps some of you who've upgraded your tires can help here. I'd definitely like to go with the 225/50/17 size so that I don't compromise the ride too much, and keep the rolling diameter as close to ideal as possible.

Help?

Thanks!
Have you considered getting the Falken Ziex ZE-512? It's rated #1 in Consumer Reports (Nov 03 issue), and it is an all season tire. It's a pretty good tire at a decent price.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top