Acura World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay for the break-in period am I supposed to drive below 3000rpm and don't use my brakes too hard? How fast can I drive?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of hard to do off the highway.

When I'm accelerating I'm always passing 3000rpm for a short while thats okay right.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Most modern engines don't really need much of a "break-in" period. I'd say 300-500 miles is plenty. You're supposed to vary your speed as much as possible, and hit WOT (Wide-Open-Throttle) occasionally, but not regularly or for very long.

Most of all, don't worry about it too much. Just enjoy the car. Its innards are tried and true Honda - it will last. :)

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
True. Basically, for the first 1,000 km (hey, we use the metric systm up here :D), drive as normal, just no hard starts or stops, and try not to rev too much into the VTEC range (4500+)...it won't hurt the car if you do, just don't stay in there too long. When I got past the break in point on my EL, the first opportunity I got, I revved it, and when VTEC kicked in, it felt great :D

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the forums!

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Excellent point on the hard stops. It's actually more important to break in your brakes. Do NOT test ABS in the first 500km. ;)

·
NO MORE DIALYSIS
4,082 Posts
Oh yeah, same thing with your cruise control, as in don't use it for that time.

Didn't they tell you this stuff when you picked up your car??? :sqnteek: :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay it wasn't really a hard stop just a fairly quick one shouldn't be too bad.

I found the page in my manual about the break-in period"

"- Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration

- Avoid hard-breaking. New brakes need to be broken-in by moderate use for the first 300 km (200 miles).

- Do not change the oil until the recommended time or distance interval shown in the maintenance schedule"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey glad to hear you got your new car.

It's not like the car will shatter on you if you break the rules, it's just that your car probabaly has been sitting in some place for a while and it will need some time to make it feel comfortable with its self. It's like freash apple pie hmmmmmm you keep it safe untill its time to eat it. hmmmmmm pie! So, don't worry about it! Once the car is ready then you'll have a blast. HMmmmmmmmm Pie! I think I'll go see if I got some! :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts