Acura World banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of now.. this is what i want to get together.

2 IDMAX subwoofers the DVC 4 ohms ones.

powering them would be 2 T1200.1 PG tantrum amp
Specs of amp..
MONO BLOCK AMPLIFIER

-18dB CONTINUOUSLY VARIABLE CROSSOVER

-LOW PASS CONTROL (LPL)

-TWIN "T" BASS EQ CIRCUITRY

-REMOTE MONITORING DISPLAY PORT (RMD)

-1X250 WATTS @ 4 OHM

-1X500 WATTS @ 2 OHM

-1X1400 WATTS @ 1 OHM

-DIMENSIONS: 19.25"X10.0"X2.35"

Now i need 3 way components... but which ones?
I was thinking of A/D/S 641is ???

Poweriing them would be PG tantrum t500.2
Specs:
2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER

-INVERSE AUX OUTPUTS

-LOW PASS CONTROL (LPL)

-2X125 WATTS @ 4 OHM

-2X250 WATTS @ 2 OHM

-1X500 WATTS @ 4 OHM BRIDGED

-DIMENSIONS: 16.75"X10.0"X2.35"

Anything else im missing? Also, does anyone know where i can get good prices on PG tantrum amps, or any compoent system?
Would those PG tantrum T1200.1 amps work well with the 2 12" IDMAX?
:dunno:

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
81 Posts
I really like what I have heard about the IDMAX. I would have bought it but it was too deep for my application. I think the PG 1200.1 would handle an IDMAX really well. Just make sure to get the IDMAX that wires to 4 ohms with both voice coils (2 ohms each voice coil). By the way, the amp on PG's site says it does 1200 watts into 1 channel.

I seriously looked into the A/D/S 641s but there is no place even remotely near me that carries those to listen to. The thing I like about them most is that the midrange is crossed over fairly low to the midbass. Most 3-ways have a 300 to 500 Hz crossover for the midrange to midbass which is way to high as the midbass will start to get very directional in those frequencies. I ended up getting a Illusion Audio 2-way set and added a midbass. But that also requires another pair of amp channels.

The 500.2 seems like a nice amp too and should drive your components well.

David

·
291 Posts
Crazy_AcurA said:
As of now.. this is what i want to get together.

2 IDMAX subwoofers the DVC 4 ohms ones.

powering them would be 2 T1200.1 PG tantrum amp
Specs of amp..
MONO BLOCK AMPLIFIER

-LOW PASS CONTROL (LPL)

-1X250 WATTS @ 4 OHM

-1X500 WATTS @ 2 OHM

-1X1400 WATTS @ 1 OHM

-DIMENSIONS: 19.25"X10.0"X2.35"

If this amp is truly 1 ohm stable and truly puts out that much power at 1 ohm, it should be fine for the IDMax's.

Now i need 3 way components... but which ones?
I was thinking of A/D/S 641is ???

Since you are looking at the A/D/S/ speakers I am guessing you like the smooth sounding, strong mid bass qualities. Quite a difference for your last Focal set up. Are you sure this is what you want? Just asking since you just want from one of the brighter sounding speakers to one of the smoother sounding ones. If you are sure about this, I would definitely suggest you look into the Dynaudio System 340. To my ears, Dyn's are still the best and easiset to tune out, bar none!

Poweriing them would be PG tantrum t500.2
Specs:
2 CHANNEL AMPLIFIER

-INVERSE AUX OUTPUTS

-LOW PASS CONTROL (LPL)

-2X125 WATTS @ 4 OHM

-2X250 WATTS @ 2 OHM

-1X500 WATTS @ 4 OHM BRIDGED

-DIMENSIONS: 16.75"X10.0"X2.35"

AI believe that this amp puts out about 50w x2 at 12.5v rms. If you go with the Dyn's I would suggest you provide them with a little more power than this. They like to have as much as you can give them...

Anything else im missing? Also, does anyone know where i can get good prices on PG tantrum amps, or any compoent system?
Would those PG tantrum T1200.1 amps work well with the 2 12" IDMAX?
:dunno:
I am not too familiar with the new Tantrum amps and PG website kinda sucks for specs... E-mail me at [email protected], I can definitely try to help you out with all of this!

Bryan

·
291 Posts
Re: Re: New audio setup.. how does this sound?

Damn sorry, my reply is within your post, didn't know that would happen :(

autophile1 said:

I am not too familiar with the new Tantrum amps and PG website kinda sucks for specs... E-mail me at [email protected], I can definitely try to help you out with all of this!

Bryan

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
81 Posts
I also don't know much about the PG Tantrum amps. Amps that I have and always recommend are Linear Power tanks they call amps. Really high quality, high powered amps that don't need to go to 2 ohms for maximum power. They are often recommend on the Elitecaraudio and Termpro forums if you want to find out more info on them. Since there aren't many dealers of Linear Power around, they sell their amps for 40% off of retail directly from the factory. Check out the site at http://www.linearpower.com. They are slightly thicker than the PG amps but definitely smaller in length. I would say you would need 2 3.2HV amps for the subs and 1 2.2HV for your components.

David

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
autophile1 said:
Jesal,

I sent you an e-mail did you get it?

Bryan

yep! I just got it. I agree with you about the amps, but arent those brands over $800?? The amp im looking at is $400 for the PG tantrum amp. I just think an amp is an amp.. :dunno:

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
81 Posts
If you mean the Linear Power amps being expensive, yes they are if you pay MSRP. However, as I said, you can usually get them factory direct for 40% off. The LP 2.2HV is $659 MSRP which is $400 factory direct. They don't currently have the 3.2HV price up but I think it was around $900 which would be around $540 factory direct.

I have also heard some solid things about JL Amps from a few sound quality competitors on some of the car audio forums.

The reason I am giving you alternatives is because I was seriously looking into buying the PG Titanium series amps but they were too expensive. I also heard their quality isn't as good as it used to be. To me, I am not paying retail for an amp.

As you said, an amp is an amp for the most part. I think Linear Power has higher quality than most though. They were popular 10 years ago when I was into car audio. I was surprised they were still around when I got back into car audio this past year.

David

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.