Acura World banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, forgive me if this is a dumb question, but I recently bought an 05 TL w/o NAV. My question is... if I were to decide in the near future that I want a NAV system, is it possible to buy one and install it somehow? Or is it basically not possible? Thanks.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Its possible. Its going to cost you more than the original $2k. You would have to buy the screen and then have a good electrical person splice all the proper wires into a harness that plugs into the back of the navi system.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Ebay or Junkyard. If you buy all the parts from the dealer it will be expensive. Plus if you can get the system from a junkyard try to get the harnesses and some wires. That will help you out. You dont only need the screen. You need the antenna and dvd drive in the trunk.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,801 Posts
Mr Zipps said:
Ebay or Junkyard. If you buy all the parts from the dealer it will be expensive. Plus if you can get the system from a junkyard try to get the harnesses and some wires. That will help you out. You dont only need the screen. You need the antenna and dvd drive in the trunk.
"junkyard"???

You meant to say "salvage yard", right? ;)

·
136 Posts
I'm pretty certain this will not work. There is more to the NAVI than the simply screen itself. You need a different wiring hardness and antenna. Others tried and ran into problems. Not worth the effort when you can get the aftermarket stuff so cheaply

·
Registered
548 Posts
The General said:
"junkyard"???

You meant to say "salvage yard", right?
Yes... ;)

ndabunka said:
I'm pretty certain this will not work. There is more to the NAVI than the simply screen itself. You need a different wiring hardness and antenna. Others tried and ran into problems. Not worth the effort when you can get the aftermarket stuff so cheaply
It has been done before. You just need to know what your doing. You need to have a decent amount of electrical know how.

·
28 Posts
Here is a Pioneer unit. AVIC-N2 . $1999.99
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4WWm7TWtE3e/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=182350&avf=Y

per their web site..

Requires Modification

Installation Details for your 2004 3.2TL

» You will need to fabricate a mounting kit in order to install your new receiver.
» Bypass your factory amps by running new speaker wires from your new receiver to each speaker.
» If the vehicle has factory XM it will be lost if factory radio is replaced.
» The factory navigation system will be lost if radio is replaced.
» Free receiver installation gear will be included with your order.
» You'll get free lifetime tech support for as long as you own your gear!

It is tempting, but more trouble than it is worth for me, and I have installed radios for a living at one time.
Had I needed Navi, I would have got it factory.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts