Acura World banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 intergra LS and in the manuel it says(on page 109, lol) under changing oil and filter: engine oil and the filter should be changed every 6 months or 7,500 miles which ever comes first. okay, what ever happened to every 3,000 or 3 months... do i have the super dooper integra special addition manufactured by the japanese elite? or am i on crack.. what should i do?

·
"We got this... go home."
25,012 Posts
nada, just replace the filter everytime you change the oil... if you leave the old filter in, you are increasing the chance to ruin new oil with the older crap oil that is still in the filter, and increase the chances to let unwanted particles re-circulate thru the engine...

best to just change it every oil change

and anywhere between 3000-5000 miles, depending on how hard you drive your car and such...

·
5,395 Posts
I would say change your oil any where 3000-5000 miles, but is always a good idea to check your oil every few days/ weeks

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
I dunno where the 3000/3months 'rule' came from but if Acura says that you don't have to change it then you probably don't. I know I run that new Mobile1 Extended Performance and don't worry about changing my oil for at least six months.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The 3000/3 months rule came from the companies themselves and oil cahnge garages.

·
"We got this... go home."
25,012 Posts
coldfire said:
I dunno where the 3000/3months 'rule' came from but if Acura says that you don't have to change it then you probably don't. I know I run that new Mobile1 Extended Performance and don't worry about changing my oil for at least six months.
6 months??? holy hell...

i do it at least 3 to 4 months

·
1,265 Posts
Does your owner's manual have more than one maintenance schedule? I know my GS-R lists a "normal" and "severe" schedule. For normal, oil changes are every 7500 miles. For severe, it's every 3750.

·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's under normal maintenance schedule. and yes i read it right every 7,500 or 6 months. i wanna changed my oil myself...is the oil filter hard to get to? i haven't tried to locate it yet.

·
1,265 Posts
ndon70 said:
it's under normal maintenance schedule. and yes i read it right every 7,500 or 6 months. i wanna changed my oil myself...is the oil filter hard to get to? i haven't tried to locate it yet.
That sounds right then. Like the others have said, the "every 3 months/3000 miles" was the norm for domestic maintenance schedules two to three decades ago.

With improvements made to both oils and engine design, auto manufacturers have been recommending changing the oil less often.

If you don't meet the criteria for the "severe" maintenance schedule, you should be fine doing oil changes every 7500 miles or 6 months. If you're not comfortable going that long, then just change the oil every 3750 miles or 3 months. You won't hurt your car doing that... just spend a little more money on maintenance costs.

*EDIT: As far as the oil filter is concerned, I'm not familiar with the 2nd gen Integras, so hopefully someone who has one can help you.

·
1,265 Posts
Rycon said:
Im too lazy to mark down the mileage when i change my oil so i just check it all the time and wait till it gets nice and black and then i change it.... lol.
Actually, if you do it every 5k miles, then it's pretty easy to tell when your next change is... 150k, 155k, 160k.

The color of the oil is actually a poor indication on the condition of the oil.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 92 intergra LS and in the manuel it says(on page 109, lol) under changing oil and filter: engine oil and the filter should be changed every 6 months or 7,500 miles which ever comes first. okay, what ever happened to every 3,000 or 3 months... do i have the super dooper integra special addition manufactured by the japanese elite? or am i on crack.. what should i do?
Short answer is “ follow the factory owner’s manual” since they designed the engine and also stand behind the product during the warranty period.

Both engines and engine oil hand improved immensely since I started driving (in the ‘60s). 7500 mile oil change intervals have been pretty much standard since the ‘90s or before. We also used to have to change points and plugs and repack wheel bearings at 10k and brake shoes (pre disc brakes) at ~30k too.

I used to autocross Corvairs in the ‘70s with rear-mounted air-cooled flat 6-cylinder engines. Those Air-cooled engines typically ran very high oil (280 deg F!) temperatures which was extremely hard on the oil. No synthetics in those days. Chevrolet recommended Corvar oil be changed “every 6000 miles...” ( sounds normal so far...) ...”...OR 60 DAYS”! Corvair engine oil was BLACK at 1500 miles, so we changed it religiously or paid the price.

We put over 170k miles on my daughter’s ‘90 Integra GS and over 90k on her ‘94 (when it was stfollowing Acura’s recommended 7500 mile change interval wit( zero engine problems.

Most current cars don’t even have a “standard” oil change interval - the engine management computer has an algorithm that analyses your driving habits and calculates the remaining oil life based on how you drive. Short trips/hard use calls for shorter intervals than extended highway driving.

Just be sure to change the timing belt at the factory-recommended interval, too!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.