Acura World banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I could really use some feedback from the forum:

Bought my 06' TL certified from an Acura dealership in Illinois. They noted an oil change during inspection and I just had my 3rd one done since I bought the car in December 09'. So technically it has had 4 oil changes done at the same Acura dealership. This time they tell me that the bolt is not Acura OEM and that the previous owner must have brought it to a Jiffy Lube and they installed an oversized bolt. They are telling me that the bolt has started to strip the oil pan hole of the thread and that I now need a new oil pan at a cost of $600. They called me saying "You must have brought this car to a 3rd party oil change place" which is when I reminded them that they are the only ones who have touched this car since it was bought 6 months ago.

So I'm really curious as to why this has not been brought up before and why the service person reinstalled this "oversized" non OEM bolt 3 times prior to it becoming an issue. The dealership says its not their fault because it was not an "issue" when they changed the oil before. I believe they should have addressed it during the certification oil change if it was so "oversized". What's different this oil change, did the bolt swell up (joking) and decide to start doing damage now?

Anyways, am I liable for this? Or should the dealership just accept responsibility?

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
If the dealer is not will to provide any "goodwill" in this case, they suck! Not only would I never use them again, I would file a formal complaint against them with Acura Headquarters and the BBB. If you have your records you should be good to go.

Good luck!

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
I had this same issue on an Accord we had many years ago. The dealer never would stand for it and I ended up paying out over $500 out of my own pocket for the fix, which was an entirely new oil pan.

Good luck.

·
**** Whore
10,136 Posts
Yea, I guess if they don't want to admit that they did something then it's going to be hard to get them to fess up to it and pay for the repair. It's going to be hard to prove that they are the ones that did it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got a call from the dealership today and they said they will do the thread repair (there was a term for it that I can't remember) and that it should be as good as new. They will be doing it on the house. I don't know if it is because they reviewed my records or if it is because I reminded them that little goodwill gestures like this go a long way with customer retention.

Thanks for the input!

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
Well I got a call from the dealership today and they said they will do the thread repair (there was a term for it that I can't remember) and that it should be as good as new. They will be doing it on the house. I don't know if it is because they reviewed my records or if it is because I reminded them that little goodwill gestures like this go a long way with customer retention.

Thanks for the input!
Looks like they know better. :) Believe me, as much as the dealers overcharge, they can certainly afford goodwill gestures every now and then!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts