Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my 06 acura tl over heats ive changed the fans and they wont turn on whe they should i also changed the coolant temp sensor and radiator still on fans im stuck also changed the fuses and the relay help also is the coolant temp sensor the same as the coolant temp switch i need diagrams and photos i just need help please

·
Administrator
2018 Acura RDX Tech, AWD
57 Posts
my 06 acura tl over heats ive changed the fans and they wont turn on whe they should i also changed the coolant temp sensor and radiator still on fans im stuck also changed the fuses and the relay help also is the coolant temp sensor the same as the coolant temp switch i need diagrams and photos i just need help please
Welcome to the forum. I moved your thread to the 3rd Gen TL sub forum. The New Member Intro is just for introducing yourself and your Acura.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It almost sounds like you have an air pocket that won't move out, preventing the circulation of coolant to pass over the temp sending unit(s)... - most difficult to deal with. If it were my car, I would start with the basics: Fluid level, is it leaking any coolant? Do you ever smell coolant (sort of a sweet smell hot smell) before it overheats? If it is, that also means it can suck air into the system and cause a boil-over as well as create air pockets which can limit circulation. On todays closed coolant systems, you can have ABSOLUTELY NO LEAKS! When was the last time the thermostat was replaced? It could be stuck or sticking... Do you know the history of the water pump? Water pumps can be brand new and just have something bad about the manufacturing and cause them to fail. The impeller on most replacements including the Honda OEM replacements have a plastic impeller on them. This could be free spinning or off and blocking the flow of coolant? Ask me how I know, yes it happened to me on a different car. How is the interior heater working, can it still get hot air inside the car when on the coldest days? This tells me if the coolant is still circulating well. Maybe your radiator has clogged, is your coolant real cloudy or transparent?
Cooling systems are one of my pet peeves. I live in Northern California where the summer temps get into the 110-115 degree temps for most of the summer. Being stuck in traffic on a 100+ degree day can be fatal for me.
Today, parts have become pretty inexpensive for new radiators, water pumps, thermostats, hoses and other stuff since we now have everything available online. It's just going to depend on your mechanical abilities - are you willing to do the work or do you need to have it done. The water pump on this car is the one thing that can really suck because it means you are doing a timing belt service at the same time. ( it's behind the timing belt) It's not a hard service as long as you understand the steps and process and have patience for working in a tight space. But if for any reason you doubt your capabilities for that repair, have it done. It's a deal breaker if you mis-time the timing belt by even 1 spline. It's a mandatory service every 100,000 miles and you can buy a complete kit which includes a water pump. I just did my on my 07 TL and I bought the GATES kit. Check out eBay for brand new replacement parts, everyone there is competing for your business and you can compare to your local auto parts store and Amazon... Its a process of elimination, good luck and keep your TL on the road!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts