Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My passenger side headlight turns on for a few seconds at times a few minutes and then turns off. I disconnected the connector that goes into the bulb and I see a little condensation on it. I cleaned it from both ends and each time I plug it in it works and then turns off. Everything else works on the passenger side headlight like the high beams and blinkers but not the low beam.

A mechanic told me its the bulb that needs to be replaced and I have been able to find a replacement for $50.00 (just for 1) but I wanted to get a second opinion from you guys. Please help.

Thanks,

Henry

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Hi Henry,

It could be the bulb, but there are also two other components in the system....the ballast and igniter.

The best way to diagnose this (which is a pain in the rump, I realize) is to move parts from the left to the right, and when the issue transfers to the other side, you've successfully isolated the failing part.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. I went ahead and I purchased a set of headligh bulb off of ebay for 30 bucks. I was going to try a new bulb to see if that was really the issue. I guess ill try your way afterwards.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
If it's not the bulb, most shops and dealers will quote $500 plus and just replace everything, thereby eliminating any potential comeback. Changing the ballasts over will require removal of the front bumper cover, but it's a 30 minute job that will save you several hundred dollars in parts cost.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it wasnt the hid lightbulb. Two things I have noticed:

The connector has some type of greenish color condensation inside of it. Each time I clean it and plug it in and take it out, u can see the little bit of condensation inside the connector. Ill try to post a picture of it later.

When I turned on the headlights, it was working for about a mintue and then it turned off. Each time I turn it off and then turn it back on it works but only for a minute (passenger headlight).

Do you think I have a bad ballast?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
The connector on the back of the bulb contains the igniter. Try swapping them left to right....they plug in to the ballast down towards the bottom of the headlight.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts