Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay before you ask your question of inevitablility please check the FAQ sticky first. If this relates to the performance of a G2 Legend and you need the answers just ask away!

I hope the experts here can answer your questions with FACT and respect only, and hope that you will be satisfied. Please refrain from asking questions of illreverence(if thats a word)
EX: Can i drop in a 454 in her do yah think??---- :idea: :stfu:

So start asking away!!

PS-it will be stickied perhaps but it is up to you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i will start it off...

So to answer 3 questions:
"can i directly swap in NSX motor?"--NO.
"can i swap NSX heads?"- NO.
" can i swap in 3.5Rl motor?"_ yes :wired:


SO i have done some reading and found out that the NSX uses titanium alloy connecting rods..so i think cool!

So question... Can you swap in the connecting rods to our crankshaft or the 3.5 crank with lets say newer 3.2 heads like off a 2004 TL so that hopefully with newer technology they are lighter and stronger. I am asking this for the guys doing FI and others hoping to help bullet proof there block.
I would appreciate any feedback with spec. also since i don't have a manual in front of me or the NSX one downloaded yet. Thanks.

Ps- If there is anything you want to add to the first post or anything let me know.
Latta-Swift
 

·
Blackend Legend OG
Joined
·
226 Posts
Swift said:
So to answer 3 questions:
"can i directly swap in NSX motor?"--NO.
"can i swap NSX heads?"- NO.
" can i swap in 3.5Rl motor?"_ yes :wired:


SO i have done some reading and found out that the NSX uses titanium alloy connecting rods..so i think cool!

So question... Can you swap in the connecting rods to our crankshaft or the 3.5 crank with lets say newer 3.2 heads like off a 2004 TL so that hopefully with newer technology they are lighter and stronger. I am asking this for the guys doing FI and others hoping to help bullet proof there block.
I would appreciate any feedback with spec. also since i don't have a manual in front of me or the NSX one downloaded yet. Thanks.

Ps- If there is anything you want to add to the first post or anything let me know.
Latta-Swift
The rod end caps on the nsx are larger than the legends, and will not fit inside our block.

I believe the 04 TL is a j block, meaning it is a 60 degree engine. If you did "swap" the heads, you would have to have a custom intake manifold made, as well as custom fuel rails, etc, and you MIGHT, pick up 20 hp. A custom intake manifold runs ~2500 bucks, so you do the math, is it worth it for that much work. No.

The only way you are going to get stronger internals, is to have them custom made. They are not that expensive, and our rods are pretty durable. I think with forged pistons, our engine could handle at least 10 psi of boost pretty easily, maybe even 12. that would put us into the 270-300 hp range, maybe higher, and it would be alot faster, especially if you ran a fairly large turbo and a stall.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
dang

oh sorry rangerjoe...i know the tl heads don't fit... i meant the pistons..( i call them piston heads..)

Thanks for clearing up the connecting rods though. I appreciate it, i just think it would beat trying to put up the money for custom parts if we could find stronger ones from a "newer" engine.

Isn't there a buick 456 or something..lol. or is that the 455.
 

·
Blackend Legend OG
Joined
·
226 Posts
Swift said:
oh sorry rangerjoe...i know the tl heads don't fit... i meant the pistons..( i call them piston heads..)

Thanks for clearing up the connecting rods though. I appreciate it, i just think it would beat trying to put up the money for custom parts if we could find stronger ones from a "newer" engine.

Isn't there a buick 456 or something..lol. or is that the 455.
Rangerjoe didnt post about the heads, i did, and i will have to look into the pistons, but i dont know why you would swap those. They are not forged on either engine, both are cast, so it would make no difference as far as strength, plus you have to deal with having the same type and size of wrist pin, it would be a hassle. Quit trying to swap shit, and get something custom made.

not to be a dick but Honestly, learn the terminology, no one cares what you all them, call them what they are.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,268 Posts
RangerJoe said:
fuck the 454, you need an olds 442 455 in it.
:werd:

My dad had a '69 Cutlass Supreme Convertible that we had a '71 442 engine, trans, exhaust put in. That thing was vicious. The first time I drove it I did burnouts at every stop by just barely pressing the throttle. I really mis that car.
Later!
Lee
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
buzzard said:
Conrods are not a problem at 12 psi, they are a problem @ 28 psi.

The pistons are a problem, the ring lands are thin and crack easily when it detonates.

Chris

Cool. So what was your solution for the rings....And i don't think we will be pushing 28psi in a daily driver :lol: :cry:

thanks chris.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
Wow, you REALLY need to do a search, or start reading threads at the other acura legend forum. Because this subject has been beaten to death.

bottom line. prepare yourself to pay a good amount of the custom work, plus figuring out how to get around all the rediculous sensors placed throughout the engine.
 

·
Can't stop. Won't stop.
Joined
·
895 Posts
deerocks said:
I know there are a few turboed legends out there....so i was wondering how much it would cost and all the details....b/c i want a turbo hella bad
haha
thanks,
D
it will cost a million gazillion fafillion dollars... *holds pinky to corner of mouth*

and you'll also have to trade your first born or your left nut, whichever you dont want the most.
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
141 Posts
Swift said:
Thanks for clearing up the connecting rods though. I appreciate it, i just think it would beat trying to put up the money for custom parts if we could find stronger ones from a "newer" engine.

if you're gonna go big, go big from the start ;)


since the block has been opened, might as well go with custom forged internals if you're serious. Getting custom parts is the easy part, its just time consuming to have the pistons shipped back and forth for measurements.


The bigger thing you should be worrying about is how to get around the ECU. We are very limited as far as tuning capabilites. Boost is unless if we can't tune it.

If we can get a good management system that works properly, it opens up the door for high compression n/a and forced induction engines. Of course i'm assuming the basic fuel, air, etc are upgraded.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
233 Posts
GSteg said:
if you're gonna go big, go big from the start ;)


since the block has been opened, might as well go with custom forged internals if you're serious. Getting custom parts is the easy part, its just time consuming to have the pistons shipped back and forth for measurements.


The bigger thing you should be worrying about is how to get around the ECU. We are very limited as far as tuning capabilites. Boost is unless if we can't tune it.

If we can get a good management system that works properly, it opens up the door for high compression n/a and forced induction engines. Of course i'm assuming the basic fuel, air, etc are upgraded.
we already sort of have the forged internals part working.

and getting custom parts made is NOT the easy part. finding a reliable shop to do it is the hardest part. shipping is easy
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
141 Posts
Getting crower to make rods or Arias to make pistons is easier than asking AEM or hondata to make a standalone management system. Custom parts will require money, but then thats why its custom. AEM will definitely not make a system just for one car unless they can round up a lot of people that are actually serious. This is our weakness. We do not have sufficient amount of people that are actually dead serious. I am able to run down a block to a guy who works are Arias pistons, lay down my stock ones, and say "hey, i need forged pistons spec to this and that, and i want X design". Fine. he'll make it custom just for me. With an engine management system, you can't do that unless someone is being very generous to take the time to figure out our ECU. Even then, the price of the unit is going to skyrocket and most likely they won't make it just for one car.



most of the time, crower, JE, Arias, etc are able to make custom parts if you're willing to get the money on the table. no one said shipping was going to be hard, but the time it takes to send in the parts, have them spec it out, and then send it back is going to be a big delay. As always with custom parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
I do not want to sound like an ass, but what else do we need for engine management? I am running an SAFC and it works just fine, and with the turbo. I have an FMU and a Walbro 255 and no problems- the A/F ratio is good as well. Maybe the biggest secret of all is the $1.86 aquarium check valve from Wal-Mart. There will be some more parts out soon- so save your pennies. Buy an SAFC as well while you are at it. I see no problem to running radical NA setups as well. If I can run a stock turbo legend w 155k miles and 7.5 psi then someone can do a 10.75:1. Guys, we just have to use what works, and you dont have to waste time and money to get shit done. Just do it. My car works, and soon the kinks will be out! How many times do we have to go over this?

Peace, K
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
howdy

justcallmelabrat said:
I do not want to sound like an ass, but what else do we need for engine management? I am running an SAFC and it works just fine, and with the turbo. I have an FMU and a Walbro 255 and no problems- the A/F ratio is good as well. Maybe the biggest secret of all is the $1.86 aquarium check valve from Wal-Mart. There will be some more parts out soon- so save your pennies. Buy an SAFC as well while you are at it. I see no problem to running radical NA setups as well. If I can run a stock turbo legend w 155k miles and 7.5 psi then someone can do a 10.75:1. Guys, we just have to use what works, and you dont have to waste time and money to get shit done. Just do it. My car works, and soon the kinks will be out! How many times do we have to go over this?

Peace, K

And another infamous one presents himself:bowdown:

GSTEG---->>Buzzard(chris) can ship over an Autotronic so...engine management has been solved sort of...price :paranoid:
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top