Acura World banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
141 Posts
yea. buzzard did mention that the wiring is going to be a pain in our car and it is not just some wire here and there.

·
141 Posts
justcallmelabrat said:
I do not want to sound like an ass, but what else do we need for engine management?

What about for the guys with nitrous? Is the SAFC going to be sufficient in getting the utmost out of the engine?

there are lots of guys on this forum who likes the flexibilities in tuning. :) I'm sure buzzard could have gone with an FMU if he wanted to, but i think there is a specific reason why he went with what he have. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just posted this on the other site.....there is an adjustment for the timing near the firewall on the pass side. I dont know what or how much we can do with this?!? I think chris went with the stand alone because he had no car with existing electronics or because of the flexibility issue. N2O is good, but I will never use it unless I can afford to fix my car much more than I do already(driving habbits are harsh). Chris(Buzzard) what is the comp. ratio on those pistions I need to order? I would also appreciate if you could post the number to call and the order number as well. I may have some awesome stuff going on pretty soon and would like to be prepared. For timing issues I forgot that that Methanol injection system can help prevent know and allow for more timing= more power. It cost 300.00.
Until later...
Kyle

·
Registered
17 Posts
CP pistons have done us a set in 8:1 and 8.5:1. Ross have done a set in 8.5:1, but for a 0.927 chev pin. not good for stock rods. I would get the 8.5:1, the 8:1 for crazy boost. Just call up CP and talk to their tech guys. I will find the job number, might take a while.

Trust me you do not need forged pistons on a N/A engine. You will not be capable of giving it the punishment that we do. We are yet to have any part in a N/A engine fail.

The number for CP Pistons is 949 567 9000 or [email protected] for email.

Just email them and ask them.

Chris

justcallmelabrat said:
I just posted this on the other site.....there is an adjustment for the timing near the firewall on the pass side. I dont know what or how much we can do with this?!? I think chris went with the stand alone because he had no car with existing electronics or because of the flexibility issue. N2O is good, but I will never use it unless I can afford to fix my car much more than I do already(driving habbits are harsh). Chris(Buzzard) what is the comp. ratio on those pistions I need to order? I would also appreciate if you could post the number to call and the order number as well. I may have some awesome stuff going on pretty soon and would like to be prepared. For timing issues I forgot that that Methanol injection system can help prevent know and allow for more timing= more power. It cost 300.00.
Until later...
Kyle

·
Registered
17 Posts
RangerJoe said:
you need to be able to adjust the timing. and higher octane gas will help with that, but it will only do so much good
Depends what the factory timing map is, on 8.5:1 we run up to 30 degrees on 1 bar boost, from 12 deg at 2000 rpm, to 30 degrees @ 7500 rpm . You need to put a car on the dyno and sus out the advance curve on full power, or ask dinan or bayou what the stock ecu gives. Labrat sus out the 3.5 coils, they are the same part number as the nsx, at least for aftermarket ones.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also we run a 7 heat range sparkplug in the turbo's, BCP7ES or equivalent. Dont forget it. When you do that you need to space the coil up a bit, as the normal ngk plug is slightly longer (taller) than a standard plug. Get one of each and check it out. Dont forget it.

Chris

·
Registered
52 Posts
Smoke-out-of-the-tail Question

I am burning what the Mechanic called "rich fuel" (i.e. oil + gas) and the soft diagnosis is that 2 of the injectors are bad and pushing too much fuel through and its burning with the oil. Well he's replaced the 2 injectors and flushed the system and it still burns rich. Any suggestions? I trust his judgement but he's a young guy that runs around a lot and doesn't dedicate time to his projects so I'm left without my precious coupe. :bigcry:

·
Blackend Legend OG
226 Posts
Legendary1 said:
I am burning what the Mechanic called "rich fuel" (i.e. oil + gas) and the soft diagnosis is that 2 of the injectors are bad and pushing too much fuel through and its burning with the oil. Well he's replaced the 2 injectors and flushed the system and it still burns rich. Any suggestions? I trust his judgement but he's a young guy that runs around a lot and doesn't dedicate time to his projects so I'm left without my precious coupe. :bigcry:
You could try using a fuel pressure regulator to cut the fuel pressure back a bit, or try using an SAFC to lean it out a bit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
justcallmelabrat said:
Until later...
Kyle
I think ethanol would be a better long term solution, as you will use less, and it is not corrosive to aluminum parts. There is a slight loss in latent heat advantage, but i would think the benefits outweigh the downsides.

Chris

·
Registered
17 Posts
RangerJoe said:
Wow, you REALLY need to do a search, or start reading threads at the other acura legend forum. Because this subject has been beaten to death.

bottom line. prepare yourself to pay a good amount of the custom work, plus figuring out how to get around all the rediculous sensors placed throughout the engine.
well i think i've seen a thread here with this link [don't want to take somebody else's credit] http://www.labratinc.com/AcuraPics.html just to summarize: its a single turbo legend using one exaust bank.
i dont' know how well it works and performs but i must say a little boost on high rpm engines goes a long way(if the engine can handle the compression). the engine would have to boost up its performance by at least 20% NOT TUNED.
the hardest part of the project is to make exhaust header that would face the front and then make another straight pipe to go back. there is plenty of space between the condenser and the belts/pulleys to mount a turbo. everything else will involve basic welding of the piping and installing the intercooler. if i do the math correctly the T3/T4 which i believe is used in the above mentioned turbo set up with intercooler will run about $900. piping = another 100 or so. the only part missing is the exhaust header.... my estimate: for 15ooo u can get significant power increase. one that will get u all the braging rights.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
How do valve springs(length and tension) improve or lesser performance??

If we were to build an all new cam...would it be more type 1..or more like type 2(IE: top end...or torque)?

·
Registered
408 Posts
GSteg said:
if you're gonna go big, go big from the start ;)

since the block has been opened, might as well go with custom forged internals if you're serious. Getting custom parts is the easy part, its just time consuming to have the pistons shipped back and forth for measurements.

The bigger thing you should be worrying about is how to get around the ECU. We are very limited as far as tuning capabilites. Boost is unless if we can't tune it.

If we can get a good management system that works properly, it opens up the door for high compression n/a and forced induction engines. Of course i'm assuming the basic fuel, air, etc are upgraded.
Already working on that! I'm 90% complete on getting the AEM EMS working in a stock Type I

·
Registered
25 Posts
hey guys, I just bought me a Acura legend 95 coupe type II about 3 weeks ago. It's a luxury type. I want to add performance to this car. I am a newbie. I got 500 bucks. What is the first thing I can do to increase HP?

·
Blackend Legend OG
226 Posts
shizamm said:
well i think i've seen a thread here with this link [don't want to take somebody else's credit] http://www.labratinc.com/AcuraPics.html just to summarize: its a single turbo legend using one exaust bank.
i dont' know how well it works and performs but i must say a little boost on high rpm engines goes a long way(if the engine can handle the compression). the engine would have to boost up its performance by at least 20% NOT TUNED.
the hardest part of the project is to make exhaust header that would face the front and then make another straight pipe to go back. there is plenty of space between the condenser and the belts/pulleys to mount a turbo. everything else will involve basic welding of the piping and installing the intercooler. if i do the math correctly the T3/T4 which i believe is used in the above mentioned turbo set up with intercooler will run about $900. piping = another 100 or so. the only part missing is the exhaust header.... my estimate: for 15ooo u can get significant power increase. one that will get u all the braging rights.
No there are no legends turboed off of one bank. And i would never recommend running one off one bank. on any v engine. It creates a large pressure difference, and is not advisable.

to the guy with 500 bucks. Get an intake and a chip. Bayou chip should go for 150-300 if you can find one, and an ebay intake + 90 degree bend and rubber hose for ~100 bucks will give you a cold air. After that, maybe change exhaust, and if you really have the money, get cams and a type I pulley.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.