Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2017 MDX and so far it's been great, except I've been sorely disappointed with the phone charging through the USB ports. For example, if I'm using Waze while I'm driving and plugged in, my phone's battery charge level will very slowly DECREASE over time. I've found that after 3-4 hours of driving, my battery life will have dropped as much as 20%! If the display is off, my phone will eventually charge to 100%, but it takes quite a long time. I haven't had this problem with other cars I've previously owned.

Just wondering whether others have had a similar experience with the MDX or perhaps there is an issue here that needs to be inspected.

·
Administrator
2018 Acura RDX Tech, AWD
30 Posts
I recently purchased a 2017 MDX and so far it's been great, except I've been sorely disappointed with the phone charging through the USB ports. For example, if I'm using Waze while I'm driving and plugged in, my phone's battery charge level will very slowly DECREASE over time. I've found that after 3-4 hours of driving, my battery life will have dropped as much as 20%! If the display is off, my phone will eventually charge to 100%, but it takes quite a long time. I haven't had this problem with other cars I've previously owned.

Just wondering whether others have had a similar experience with the MDX or perhaps there is an issue here that needs to be inspected.
You should get a 12V charger to charge your phone. A lot of vehicle USB ports don’t charge very fast. I don’t know specifically what the charge rate of the MDX, but this sounds like a common complaint with multiple vehicle USB ports.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Would this be an adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter? I do have one of those, but assumed I didn't need it since the MDX has so many built-in USB ports.

·
Registered
86 Posts

Phone charging via and car's USB port is always very slow. They are not designed to be high power ports. Most vehicle telematics controls shut these ports off if you are not transferring data. You need to use a power port charger if you want to charge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, that's what I've come to realize. Definitely charges much faster using the cigarette lighter adapter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts