Acura World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've just purchased a 2001 CL type S, one owner, regularly dealer serviced at 75,000 miles. Had that same dealer check it pre-purchase and (as I had some idea of the tranny problem) asked them to focus on that. Check proved fine in all ways and driver said no evident tranny problem.

I'm looking for any good, dependable information on how we might delay onset of failure. Thanks very kindly in advance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We've just purchased a 2001 CL type S, one owner, regularly dealer serviced at 75,000 miles. Had that same dealer check it pre-purchase and (as I had some idea of the tranny problem) asked them to focus on that. Check proved fine in all ways and driver said no evident tranny problem.

I'm looking for any good, dependable information on how we might delay onset of failure. Thanks very kindly in advance.
Sorry to disappoint you, but if you still have original transmission at 75K miles, chances are it will fail soon, say another 20-30K miles. More odds that it will. And checking/testing transmission is useless. These trannys are known to go from perfectly OK to being dead within days. They just start to desegregate and within days its completely dead. All you can do is to change tranny fluid every 15-30K miles (or 2 years), and dont abuse it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@russianDude

Perhaps if I got Sarah Palin to sent a prayer up?

Pity. Just took the car up to Vancouver from Portland and back. Lovely vehicle, better on the highway than our last Audi a4 with half the miles and comparable to our 3 series BMW. Fingers crossed it is then.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
23 Posts
anyone pretty much will tell you that your chances of minimizing the failure are in frequent fluid changes (15-30K miles range. Some people even do 3x3qt changes, which is not really required if you change 3qt every 15K miles. And good driving habits (no flooring or high RPMS). Thats all you can do, some people get tranny cooler, which is known not to help in anyway, but still makes some people feel better....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm guessing this issue is with the Automatic tranny? I just got a 03 type s with the manual and from what i've read that is the first year with a manual transmission correct?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts