Acura World banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Have been looking at a 2007 TSX here in Canada at a local Honda dealer. 86,000kms on the odo and it's a Ontario (Toronto area) car. Took it for a test drive and the front end was quite noisy over bumpy surfaces. I suggest they look at it thinking it could be the struts or bushings. They did the next day and reported that the control arms on both sides needed doing, plus apparently some bushings. They are fixing it regardless of whether I buy it or not.

The car was also in an accident in the second year of its life that caused CDN$9300 in damage. According to the dealer, it was in the rear and involved paint and likely the bumper, but no panels were damaged.

I guess my question is whether any of the above sounds odd. Not sure about control arms on a car with under 100K, but I'm not a mechanic.

I lived overseas (New Zealand) for years and owned a 2007 Honda Accord Euro (of course, the TSX here in North America) so I know the car pretty well (hence I'm looking at one here).

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!

- chatoyer

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Tim, thanks for that.

I've done a bit more sleuthing around on this. It's been fun. First, though, my instincts were correct about the front end noise: they called back saying it was the struts, not the control arms.

Now about the damage. The CarProof report indicates that it is "miscellaneous" and NOT "collision". Thus, it would seem that the car has NOT been in an accident, but as I mentioned in my first post there WAS a claim made for CDN$9300. It said the date of the claim was on 5 August 2008. I also know the car was registered in Grimsby, Ontario.

I turned to trusty google and typed in "storm grimsby august 2008".

Sure enough, there was a pretty bad storm that day right in Grimsby. Even some pretty nasty flooding. People have even put up youtube videos.

The CarProof report says the insurance estimate was from Burlington, Ontario, which is just up the road. So, I called the local Acura dealership there to see if they fixed the car. They hadn't. They passed me on to their collision guys. They hadn't seen it either (both times, I gave them the VIN). Speaking with the collision guy, he said that hail could indeed cause quite a bit of damage to a car, especially if we're talking paint and pounding out small pock marks. He said those guys make a lot of money in that region. I don't doubt it.

So, at this point I'm starting to think the car itself is fine.

Car is still for sale, and has been for almost two months.

Still trying to decide...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.