Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I live in a county that doesn't require emission testing, I haven't had to do one since the 1980's in fact! My question is, can I remove the cats on my 2003 TL without causing flashing lights on the dash and codes in the computer? And if so, will I really gain any performance gains, rather than just make it louder? I already have Magnaflow mufflers on it, so it has a nice low growl.

It was one of the best things I did to my 1994 Mustang GT when I installed an h-pipe and new mufflers, but I'm not sure it will do the same for my Acura. Any input?

Thanks,
Jaynatello

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello,

I live in a county that doesn't require emission testing, I haven't had to do one since the 1980's in fact! My question is, can I remove the cats on my 2003 TL without causing flashing lights on the dash and codes in the computer? And if so, will I really gain any performance gains, rather than just make it louder? I already have Magnaflow mufflers on it, so it has a nice low growl.

It was one of the best things I did to my 1994 Mustang GT when I installed an h-pipe and new mufflers, but I'm not sure it will do the same for my Acura. Any input?

Thanks,
Jaynatello
Don't do it! Cars have an oxygen sensor downstream from the catalytic converters. If the car computer does not get the right O2 reading, it puts the engine into "limp home" mode and you will have VERY LITTLE power, and you will have at the very least the "CHECK ENGINE" light permanently on and poor gas mileage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also have a question-my emissions light has been intermittent for a year, sometimes
It stays off fior months. I'm do smog check (CA) -how do we know it isn't the sensor that is bad and not the cat?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.