Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im not trying to straight anything, i just wanted to educated myself. Ok now let me get this straight, people say cars made in america are poorly made, why is that? I remember when acura/honda were made in Japan, people still complained about how the some of the body panels are uneven and how that was common. So wouldnt that mean japan quality isnt all that also? I just never understood why everyone always talked bad about american made products.

P.S Our trannies are made in Japan. :p

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I think people generally think of Ford/Chrysler/GM products when they talk about "made in America" products.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
IMO, it's just a bunch of bullshit. The same goes for foreign made BMW, volvo, and Mercedes. Sure - they might be better put together, but you PAY for it.

I'm not flaming here Jesal - don't take me wrong. I'm just saying that when we got our $30k car that has awesome amenities and performance for 10k less than comparable cars, you do get something less. The TL is not much more expensive than the CL. The TL has 2 more doors, real fogs, rear air vent, etc, etc. Those changes HAVE to cost more than the 1k difference. What it gets down to is that the volume sales of the TL compared to the CL are what makes the price reasonable. With volume comes automation, and in that respect, it doesn't matter if it's made in ohio or germany.

All cars have creaks. Bimmers have more than their share. IMO, most people unhappy with the build quality of the CL/TL have not owned expensive cars before.

But that's just MHO.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
well i also think that's bs. from what i have heard, basically almost all cars out there, no matter how expensive or how cheap they are, they got rattles, squeak, etc etc...... one way or the other. problems with cars nowadays are really hard to prevent. so i am more concerned about how they are going to fix it.

imho acura's quailty is not as good as lexus, but saying it's horrible i think it's too extreme. i have seen some people saying acura doesn't know how to make cars after they see several posts about broken tranny and rattles. i think that's bs. go to maxima.org, is300 forum, bimmer.org, etc.... just see how many complains you can find, and how the owners complain what they aer getting for 30 or 40k........

now of course if you get a 745i or s600 those are simply top notch cars, with the best possible quality and you can hardly complain :)

and i agree with sky too, that most people who really complain that acura is blah blah blah..... they definitely haven't owned luxury cars before yet

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
53 Posts
even the top notch cars have problems. couple of weeks ago my friend's mom's s500 had a little problem. she came into the garage and the body was sitting on top of the wheels. it actually looked pretty cool (like it was slammed on coilovers) but something with the suspension (raising and lowering control) broke and the car set itself on the ground. of course mercedes was out there that day picking the car up and dropping off a loaner car and it was fixed quickly but there are still problems. in general, though, i think the build quality on mercedes, bmw, and lexus are better than acura. i am just basing that on when i drive those cars they feel a lot more solid in every day driving and during times such as going over potholes or speedbumps.

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
53 Posts
oh yeah......and that difference in build quality and overall feeling of solidity is why those cars cost more $...........that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
overall i'm satisfied with my TL purchase,

i mean there are definitely a few rattles and possible potential tranny problems...but i'll deal with it when it comes.

i also believe there is no perfect car out there...no matter how expensive...but the more expensive your car..the more expensive a repair is gonna be...

i've also owned some American brand cars, and from my experiences between domestic and import...the quality of imports are much better than domestics....

i used to have everything go out on domestics, from cv boots to fuel filters, to timing belts...

but with imports, problems are minimal.

all this is from my personal experience, maybe other people have experienced higher quality from domestics

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
I think quality in German and Us cars have gone up, but quality in Acura's have gone down. I remember the Legends back in the day and they were soooooo solid compared to our new Acura's. I'm not really nagging, I love my car. Just at times I get a ride in my friends RSX-S and get jealous. The car feels solid and with 6k miles, there aren't any rattles or squeaks all for thousands less. :sqnteek: Jesal is this post directed towards me?

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
evolaerok said:
I think quality in German and Us cars have gone up, but quality in Acura's have gone down. I remember the Legends back in the day and they were soooooo solid compared to our new Acura's. I'm not really nagging, I love my car. Just at times I get a ride in my friends RSX-S and get jealous. The car feels solid and with 6k miles, there aren't any rattles or squeaks all for thousands less. :sqnteek: Jesal is this post directed towards me?

kinda... but more people like you. Im not trying to be mean, just wanted to understand others ideas on this.

Oh and you cant compare our cars to legends... when the legend was new it was over 40k... :p

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Crazy_AcurA said:

kinda... but more people like you. Im not trying to be mean, just wanted to understand others ideas on this.

Oh and you cant compare our cars to legends... when the legend was new it was over 40k... :p
It's still acura, hey if acura was so good then why not now? 40k, hmmm doesn't your dad have a RL at around 40k and it rattles more than our cars?

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
evolaerok said:

Jesal, that defeats the whole purpose of the thread then.... come on now...:p
no it doesnt, people say things made in japan are better quality, and im saying my dads RL is made in japan and it has more rattles than my TL that is made in america. Im just seeing why people think cars made elsewhere than the US is better in quality. see? :beerchug:

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
This whole thing came about years ago. It all stemed from the fact that American Manufacturers were using the same technologies and body styles for years and years. Not spending much $$ on R&D.
Then along came this smart Economist, I forget his name, who tried to explain to "Detoit" that the demand is for new technologies and concept on a scheduled basis. The American's rejected his thoughts/ideas and said.."Whatever you crack-pot knucklehead. We do things our way and that's what ppl want." (Yes that's a verbatim quote :sqnteek: )

So....the Economist took his ideas to Japan, where they accepted his theorys and came up with the "4 year cycle" of change, that we all see today. Because the Japanese auto makers were producing new and invigorating ideas all the time, the PEOPLE deemed they were making better cars. In a way they were, because they were able to add new technologies on a regular basis. During the late 70s and 80s, American cars were still using some outdated technologies and the japanese & german market cars took off.

And that is today's history lesson.

I'll be conducting class every Tuesday & Thursday at 9am PST.
Thank You.....

:drink:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
baggsTLS said:
This whole thing came about years ago. It all stemed from the fact that American Manufacturers were using the same technologies and body styles for years and years. Not spending much $$ on R&D.
Then along came this smart Economist, I forget his name, who tried to explain to "Detoit" that the demand is for new technologies and concept on a scheduled basis. The American's rejected his thoughts/ideas and said.."Whatever you crack-pot knucklehead. We do things our way and that's what ppl want." (Yes that's a verbatim quote :sqnteek: )

So....the Economist took his ideas to Japan, where they accepted his theorys and came up with the "4 year cycle" of change, that we all see today. Because the Japanese auto makers were producing new and invigorating ideas all the time, the PEOPLE deemed they were making better cars. In a way they were, because they were able to add new technologies on a regular basis. During the late 70s and 80s, American cars were still using some outdated technologies and the japanese & german market cars took off.

And that is today's history lesson.

I'll be conducting class every Tuesday & Thursday at 9am PST.
Thank You.....

:drink:
wow this is some interesting history, good read

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Crazy_AcurA said:

no it doesnt, people say things made in japan are better quality, and im saying my dads RL is made in japan and it has more rattles than my TL that is made in america. Im just seeing why people think cars made elsewhere than the US is better in quality. see? :beerchug:
Why do I think Japan or German made products have more quality? I'm just speaking from past experiences of ownerships. My type R was made in Japan had much better build quaility than my TL. I don't have any rattles anymore, but in my Type R I never had rattles. The interior felt tighter. Let's take a look at one of our direct competitors, the Is300. Just take a seat in one and take a look at the panels. No gaps, no rattles, etc. Better built. Yes our tranny's are built in Japan, but I think it's a isolated problem that people just make a big scare out of. Answer this, do you have tranny problems? I don't, but did you have rattles? I did. You can look anywhere and see this evidence. Yeah a corvette z06 is faster than an m3, but is it built better. You said so yourself your friends car felt cheap....

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
ElegantTL-S said:
I feel heat!!! :D I personally..dun care! haha....japanese and german cars... more popular ! :p i'm just talking out of my ass.

You also gotta factor in the engine....i guess it all goes back to the good ol days..yanno yanno?
No heat against anyone, jesal and I talked about it before... Just help with the debate...

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
217 Posts
American build quality sucks. Perhaps it is the processes used here, the equipment, management, or lazy workers. Management in Japanese companies is known to be more tight and focus on worker efficiency is heavy.

Rattles and sqeaks from panels and other spots are famous in American built TLs and CLs. However, in lets say the legend which is Japanese built, rattles and squeaks are much less pronounced.

This is an endless debate, however if you take into consideration
American companies track record with their own cars and the endless stream of complaints from current Acura owners about problems in their cars, it is easy to see why American automotive quality is looked upon as very poor. Plus the fact that the CEO of Ford personally said Ford quality was suffering doesn't exactly paint a flattering portrait of American quality.

Oh yeah, in my personal experience, all the american cars I have owned have been crap and my legend has been flawless. This is a limited view, but I wonder how many people who have owned both imports (made overseas) and domestics would say they have prefered their import over their domestics?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.