Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys intend on using the other AWPV forum to post sales, etc? Remember that you guys and the mods are the only ones that can create threads there. Are you comfortable with members being able to reply, or would you like them to only be able to read?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I will be using it very soon. I am putting together some things with Comptech to do monthly "specials" for your members only. :)

I think it would be good to have the members be able to reply, that way if they have any questions we can answer them right away instead trying to do it through PM all the time. Just my .02

Dean

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
autoxcls:
Ha ok this makes sense...this is the reason why I've been telling people to go start threads over in the vendor forum and no one's able to...cause we don't have it set up that way...hmmm. Ok...Schuyler this I guess should be a call for the vendors, Mike Tim Dean and Jeff, but I thought it would be good to have that forum for members to also post questions for you guys? And your posts we can sticky for you (monthly specials etc)...is this a bad idea?

Austin519

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can make it happen either way. My intention was that people could reply to threads but not start them so the AWPV forum would remain task-oriented. Up to you AWPVs tho.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Having done group buys etc on about half a dozen forums, I think it's better if only we can post threads there. On www.acuramdx.org they had set up special group buy deals on the homepage, so the admin asked me if I would consider doing group buys on a few things. I said, sure! Here's the way I had wanted it outlined:

1. Someone interested in a GB must talk to admin or myself first, to see if I can lower the price for a group buy.

2. I then either approve or deny the buy, and set a minimum amount of people for the buy to happen.

3. Once the minimum is reached, I set dates for open and close of the buy.

This would have worked really well, if it actually went that way, but it turned into a damn zoo. People would set group buys without talking to anyone first, and what price they wanted, they'd get a lot of posts over the weekend, and I'd get calls on Monday for this group buy I had no idea was happening, and then I'd have to find the thread and approve or deny it (for example, I can't group buy a $37 cargo net, no room left with shipping included). Then, the dates got screwed up. It all clusters that way, believe me.

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a deal to me, Tim. I think it's the best idea myself anyway. If they want to talk to you guys, that's what PM is for IMO. If the need is warranted, we can create another AWPV forum for user comments or something like that. It makes the users feel good to know that they can comment on stuff perhaps.

If we do create another forum, I'm going to create an AWPV section like "shop talk" is right now and organize all the folders under that, I think.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I think that Dean and I could probably help out with a "problems and solutions" forum. I could cover the OE stuff, and Dean could take the aftermarket issues.

It's a thought anyways.

Here's another thing I can do for those interested. I can run VIN histories for any Acura or Honda product, to check on last known mileages, warranty status, and past warranty claims. That could be a HUGE benefit for those looking for a used car or to check up on their current one. Only takes a minute to do.

Last week I ran a VIN for someone on an Accord that had a voided warranty due to excessive collision damage :eek:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tim - the problems and solutions forum sounds like a great idea.

Dean, Mike, etc - you guys up for that?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Sure. I can do that.

No problem at all. :)

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Okay here is a good thing to show...this is what I at least saw the vendor forum doing...not only montly specials...but things like this...

http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=145047#post145047

Gray Goose was able to post that...because he's a mod...but under ya'lls current ideas it shouldn't be there. I still think stuff like this specifically belongs in the vendor forum...but members can't put it in there.

hondacuraworld:
I didn't mean anything about members starting groupbuys or anything crazy like that. All I meant to add on to the vendor forum was the ability for members to communicate directly with vendors when they were interested in prices, had questions about a product, etc (as above)...

Not to grind this into the dirt :)

Austin519

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I know what you mean Austin. Things like that just happen as an inevitable consequence of having a thread of that type. Threads like this one from another board complicate the hell out of things:

http://www.acuramdx.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=6273

It wasn't bad at all there, but with a board with such prolific posters, well, you see where I'm going. It's hard when people can try to create their own custom group buys for exactly what they need.....

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
hondacuraworld:
Well...I don't think the vendor forum should ever be used for people to post groupbuys...it's for vendors and vendor stuff only. And groupbuys should always be approved by a mod anyway...so we'd make sure it was never put in the vendor forum. Would that suffice? Or do you still see a conflict?

Austin519

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Austin,

Remember - AW stays out of Group Buys completely. If the members do it, they do it at their own risk. We don't want to have ANY liability towards group buys. The only thing a mod should do is post our standard disclaimer for them:
"AcuraWorld.com and its management team make no promises, express or implied, to the value/quality/suitability of the merchandise. All purchases are at the buyer's own risk. By posting in the thread and/or participating in the group buy the member acknowledges these rules and agrees to hold harmless AcuraWorld.com and its management for injury that may result. AcuraWorld.com lists group buys for the benefit of its members but has no direct involvement otherwise, including in a fiduciary capacity. "

And for the mods that can see it, here's the link to it in the mod forum: http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2229&highlight=mfnlaw

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW - the real question is do we limit GBs to AWPVs only? IMO, that would have excluded the sills buy until Jeff came on board...

So I'm against vendor-only GBs. If the members wanna do their own, so be it. I think we can say we trust the GBs more from you AWPVs though...

And I'd like to see what everyone's opinion is on it. Feel free to chip in, Mike, Jeff, Tim, and Dean.

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
well, i think AWPV can initiate their own GB in the forum at will. if someone else want to do GB, they ask the admin and once approved, it can be posted in the forum?

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
autoxcls and rominl:
Lordy okay guys...slow down :). What Tim and Dean have both said is that they don't want to do groupbuys...instead they want to do monthly specials. That was it's just a monthly thing...set dates, no minimum number of people, no middle men, no nothing. So unless they've changed their minds (guys?) nothing I said should have anything to do with groupbuys. Everything that you guys said about members doing groupbuys and us not being for or against them I agree with, I don't see the groupbuy forum yet with moderated posts...but I still agree...but we're not discussing that.

The only thing I'm trying to get thoughts on is having members be able to post to vendors in the vendor forum...asking about products they carry, prices they have, or talking about sales that are in progress or done with. I think that the vendor forum shouldn't just be the monthly groupbuys and nothing else...but in addition should be a forum where members can speak directly to vendors with threads (threads that may answer the questions of others etc) than doing it all in a ton of PM's.

I sort of expected the vendor forum to be like this...unless we created ANOTHER forum for the members to speak directly to vendors...but then we'd have yet another forum and even more clutter. That's why I was hoping this would be that. I.E. Gray Goose's post...I think questions like that belong in the vendor forum, instead of in other forums (obviously) or the FS forum, or even in PM (that way if you answer one Q about the price of say, a bodykit or brakelines, then you don't have to answer it in PM's 50 times).

And if I'm a group of one on this, that's cool. The only reason I am pursuing it is because I don't think I've been understood correctly. If I have been, cool, nm then and I'll shut up :)

Austin519

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Group buys just tend to be zoos....that's all. As far as the question to limit GBs and such to preferred vendors, that's up to you. If anyone can post a GB, that opens hte site up to a lot of spam unless it's approved by the mods. Like it or not, the credibility of those that offer the GBs reflect on this site as well.

Hey, maybe Snook would like to do a GB here ;)

Tell you what, why don't I just jump in feet first and post a special today?

·
Registered
29,610 Posts
I know this is an Acura forum and most likely sales are going to be limited to honda/acura owners. My question is if you guys have connections with other parts retailers/wholesalers? I have a BMW 330Ci as you know and I would love to get some deals on parts. If you can, that would be awesome. If not, no biggie either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.