Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Couple weeks ago I have gotten my first Acura, and MDX, and one of the first jobs (as it has been on all my cars) was to install and hard-wire my radar detector by the rear view mirror.
I have been looking for the last week for some directions, but the ones I found did not do it for me. I have accomplished to get power with quite simple method but it has a drawback (on that little later).

- The 2009 MDX has a self-dimming mirror, so there is a power going to it. If you look at the back of the rear view mirror you will see a connector which comes out of the mirror housing when you push the small detent.
- While the ignition is on, you can measure which leads of that connector are power and ground.
- The Valentine1 (and many other radar detectors) uses a simple RJ11 connector/cable (standard phone jack) to get power. I cut off the right length for my installation, and stripped the two correct leads on one end and soldered on pins from a VGA connector (Radioshack sells VGA/RS232 connectors which are not assembled and the individual pins are lose).
- Make sure to sufficiently insulate the two wire leads and pins from each other so ones installed they do not short out (this will disable your car and it is a "btich" to figure out which fuse it blew). Heat-shrink tubing works best if you are a PRO, electrical tape work well for PRO-AMs with good dexterity...
- Then simply jam each of the soldered pins into the right location in the back of the connector for the self-dimming mirror. The pins should fit very tight between the plastic body of the connector and the conductive pins inside the connector.
- Then install everything as it was, place the radar detector on the windshield, plug it in and if you got all the pin-outs right, it will power up when you turn the ignition on.

NOW the drawback:
I did not realize this until I made this installation, that when you put the MDX in REVERSE (and only in REVERSE), the power to the self-dimming mirror gets cut off!
This means that whenever you are making tight maneuvers, parking, turning around, etc., the radar detector is going on and off like crazy every time the shifter passes "R"!
If you are still interested, I can post some pics and more details on the pin-outs to save some time....

However what I would like to do is to now relocate the power into the roof console (where the map lights and moon roof control are). I took it apart this afternoon and started looking for switched power in the two main connectors (moon roof switch connector and the bigger one for everything else). I could not find power which would turn off when the car was off. I found two sources of power which seem to be on all the time, but that is not good for something like a radar detector, which you want automatically on when you get in the car.
Anyone who can please help with this, I would be thankful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I installed mine right to the fuse box. Ran the wire from the top center of the windshield on the drivers side, along the A pillar, under the door moulding and to spot #23 on the fuse box. There is a complete how to over on the MDXERS forum.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts