Acura World banner

Raist's 1999 Teg Newb Thread

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Raistlin 
#1 · (Edited)
So I finally got rid of my old beast and picked up my 1999 Acura Integra SE 2 door Coupe yesterday. 186,000 km on it and I got it for under 5000 before taxes etc. Already I'm loving it. Now that I have a much nicer car (compared to my previous cars - yes they have been crap)I have some plans to add some stuff to it.

Mainly:

1) Remote Keyless Entry/Remote start

2) Double Din Video Deck

3) Speaker Upgrade/Amp

4) Possible Upholstry Redo (front).

5) Possible rims/tire upgrade

Now I just got the car yesterday, but I've already started to come across some things that has me scratching my head. I've taken up my owners manual but so far it doesn't answer my questions from what I'm experiencing with the car. Also, not being TOTALLy sure about which model I have doesn't help. The car has an SE decal on the back but when I check my VIN, carfax states the car is an RS/LE.....:uhh:

First thing I'll be looking for is to get the remote entry/start set up. However, the install and gear will cost much more if the car currently does not have power locks. So this has given me a few questions about my locks.

Mainly - When I try to lock or unlock my doors from the interior, I cannot flip the lock switch. If I push it to lock it or unlock it, it will simply go back to what it was. In order to change this I have to actually pull the interior door release while I push the lock to change it. The manual tells me just to switch it. But it simply won't switch without pulling the door handle. Now, because there are no power lock switches, its my belief that I don't have power locks set up at all and I will have to pay more to get this feature. Would that be correct? Also, is there any other way to lock and unlock the doors aside from holding the doorhandle at the same time? Kind of annoying to have to explain that to passengers.

Thanks in advance if anyone has answers for me. If I end up figuring out stuff on my own (Hopefully) I'll update here and move on once I get the installs etc complete and then move on to the next plan. Course, this won't all be super quick since I do need to make the money first to pay for the new stuff.

Cheers! :wavey:

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all welcome to the integra section of acuraworld.

The drivers side door on all Honda's requires the handle to be pulled to lock or unlock while the door is open. This is to reduce the chance of lockouts. You're saying that you don't have power door lock switches? When you lock the drivers door do you hear electric lock actuators working and does the passenger side lock as well? If not you don't have power locks and your alarm will not be able to perform remote locking actions unless they are installed.

#3 ·
Thanks For The Welcome, and info! :)

When I turn the lock it only works per door. It might connect with the trunk hatch since I do hear a noise there sometimes when I open the drivers side.

Without the actuators I'll be looking at around 415 for parts and install so....thats annoying but oh well.

My new concern right now, however is a possible tranny issue. It revs pretty high between 1st and 2nd and sometimes 2nd to 3rd. I'm planning on getting the timing belt looked at since its around that time for it anyway. But the revving goes pretty high sometimes before switching gears and it can jump a bit when it does. Would this be indicative of a tranny issue?

Thanks again! :)

#4 ·
Ok, it sounds like you do not have power locks. So its not doing anything on the hatch either.

As far as the tranny, how high is it revving, is the car still in gear, and how much throttle are you giving it. These integras are rev-happy little motors. Thats where all the power is so they do rev higher than domestics on a regular basis.

#5 ·
I do notice that if it doesn't rev as high if I accelerate a bit slower. But I'm not constantly trying to beat people off the line at red lights or anything. When I accelerate, I do so at a normal pace. It revs fairly high and sometimes stays high for a moment or two before switching gears and when the it does shift there can be a slight jump from it.

#8 ·
as for the jerking you feel between the shifts from 1-2 and 2-3, its normal to feel that as its just the gearbox shifting. if its a big surge/jerk than that isnt normal.

does it feel like it sometimes gets stuck in a gear before it shifts? this happens with old hondas with automatic trannys. honda makes some shitty auto trannys. it also may downshift hard by itself?

i had a civic that was an auto and it acted the way you are talking. i sold it though so im not sure if the tranny ever went to shit but it did that to me for like a year.

#10 ·
Thanks Mike. I appreciate it. I might need the luck. Just had the check engine light pop on after only having it for under a month now. :snipe: Have to turn it on one more time to see if it was just the gas cap being loose. But I doubt I'll have that luck. fml.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.