Acura World banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is there such a thing as just re clearcoating?
my fender and door were replaced/repainted -- and the clearcoat is coming off the door in spots, starting to flake (around the trim strip and handle)

can u re clearcoat or have to repaint, what should it cost?
just the driver door....
tahnks

·
Oracle11iGuru
249 Posts
I'm surprised you have not fixed it yet. I would do it right. have them strip (the clear coat) it down and re clear coat it again. Any luck finding out the history of this car? Has it been confirmed to be in a wreck before?

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2001TL4KCdude said:
I'm surprised you have not fixed it yet. I would do it right. have them strip (the clear coat) it down and re clear coat it again. Any luck finding out the history of this car? Has it been confirmed to be in a wreck before?
NO! it was NOT a wreck - just had a fender/door replaced minor accident....

So "re clearcoating" is possible, and cheaper I'm assuming than repaint?
what does someone think it'll ruN?

·
Oracle11iGuru
249 Posts
around $250 - $450
make sure the strip down the clearcoat before recoating. Clear coat is just transparent paint.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Well I suggest you go to paintscratch.com and buy their clear coat. You shouldn't try to strip the clear all the way off because you will get into the color or base coat. You can buy the clear from the above mentioned web site and then wet sand with 1000 grit wet/dry paper to smooth the surface and then apply the clear. I am currently in the process of repairing a little boo boo on my car using their products. Should be done tomorrow or the next day and I will post the results. So far everything has gone just as they said it would.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.