Acura World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, here I am out on the left coast, paying (currently) about 4.25 / gallon for regular fuel and another 10-15 cents for "the good stuff" which, of course, my '04 TLA needs, according to the man-you-all...

But, being cheap by nature and poor by circumstance, I fudged on the gas and have been buying regular (almost exclusively from Costco, the cheapest guy in town). This has been going on for at least 100,000 miles.

I've done one major maintenance on the car (Timing belt, idler pulleys, adjust valves, new plugs, water pump, yadda yadda) and noticed nothing out of the ordinary in the inspection process. Good compression all around.

What do you think about using regular rather than 92 octane? My rationale is that since the car has a knock sensor in it, it automatically retards the spark when a load is put on the motor. I've never heard even a whimper of a knock coming out of the engine compartment.

Yes, the HP drops a bit but considering (a) I don't ever drive like a man possessed and baby my car like the old fart I am; and (b) the effective savings over the 100K miles I've driven the car amount to around $500, which is not inconsequential; and (c) seeing a receipt for a tank of gasoline running to close to 60 bucks could cause me a stroke, well, I figure "No harm, no foul."

I'm getting a consistent 31-33 mpg (hwy) and 26-27 (city).

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
At the very least, I'd run 89 if you have it. In my Ridgeline (same family of engines, almost same specs, just increased displacement), I run 87 in it all the time, however I'll be honest in saying that I still feel the ECU pulling back ignition on freeway on-ramps with no load. I think this is a "your mileage may vary" thing. I'm looking at installing a water/methanol injection kit in my Ridgeline for the times I do tow, I don't have to plan a few days before to fill up with 91. I figure 87+water/meth should net me 91+ octane on demand. Only thing is I really have no way of recalibrating my ECU for this setup.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well might I add troutscout, you may actually think your saving money but in fact you are not. You may think it is a little crazy, but sadly facts are facts; and I'll stick to those.

Everything on a motor is based on energy, however if you really think about it; and it is hard for most people to conceive. Gas is based on how much actual combustion occurs in your chamber, and 87 has the least combustion; which also means the most deposits on your valves etc. However, 91 is packed with a lot more energy, it actually has a higher combustion of product; which in tern means obviously less stuff left behind on your internals. That energy is what pushes you car, so which do you think is best?

I dont know if I need to say more, but the law of physics would surely seal this deal. With that in mind, it has always been my preference and I actually save gas.

But please feel free to walk the walk, to see results for your very own eyes; not a difficult task either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Here is a possible answer. I have a 96 TL and bought Pulstar Iridium plugs for it( six plugs at $15 each) gaining 2 to 3 MPG. I also have a hydrolyzer installed, the total going toward 40. Which helps me quite a lot and I don't have to vote for Gingrich now LOL.

From another Old Fart cheapskate who however pushes my lady to the limit once in a awhile even so

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great point Bev all that slipped my mind, those are wonderful ways to increase mpg, and hp; I automatically add the best spark plugs for street driving. Now that you bring it to mind, you might as well add the k&n filter to help your car breathe easier, which will also help and is super easy installation.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts