Acura World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a loaner...2012 TSX Tech with 6400 mi. from an Acura dealer. I inquired about a remote starter, they gave me a price of $495 and the dealer installed it.

I was not happy to find that they installed an Excalibur remote starter. Shame on me for not asking if it was an Acura unit, but I'm at Acura buying what I thought was Acura parts.

I was under the impression that I was purchasing an Acura remote starter from the dealer and not after market parts. The Acura remote starters are pre-wired and plug into the existing wiring without the need to cut into the wiring harness. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Is this a common practice for Acura dealers to install after market equipment?

Will this installation be covered under the 7/100000 Acura Extended warranty if something should go wrong?

I'm very happy with this car so far... I'm just feeling like i got robbed and a little worried about future problems with this install.

Thanks,
Pete

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Is it a common practice? No.

Will it be covered? Yes, but not by Acura, only by that specific selling dealer. I *think* it would be only for the 4 year 50K, but I'm not certain. Look up and research the Magnuson Moss warranty act. This covers aftermarket accessories sold by the dealership prior to vehicle delivery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, for the reply.... It was listed on my purchase invoice as a remote starter along with other dealer installed options at the time of purchase. Would that make a difference in qualifying for extended coverages should a problem result down the road. I will research the act that you listed...

Have you had any experiences or issues with after market remote starters installed at the dealership...

Pete

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just read through the Magnuson Moss warranty act... If I read it right it should be covered.. Warranties are not limited to branded items, third party products installed at the time the warranty was written will be covered....

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Thanks, for the reply.... It was listed on my purchase invoice as a remote starter along with other dealer installed options at the time of purchase. Would that make a difference in qualifying for extended coverages should a problem result down the road. I will research the act that you listed...

Have you had any experiences or issues with after market remote starters installed at the dealership...

Pete
I myself don't care for them, because most are installed with snap splices, which can develop corrosion and resistance in wiring after time.

Like you, I bought a vehicle about 5 years ago that already had an aftermarket system installed, it was a Mars system. As soon as I saw the first hint of trouble, I traded it in. As with anything though, "your mileage may vary....."

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
I just read through the Magnuson Moss warranty act... If I read it right it should be covered.. Warranties are not limited to branded items, third party products installed at the time the warranty was written will be covered....
Right, but remember, it would be covered by the selling dealer, NOT by Acura. Should it need repair in the future, you will either have to return to that dealer, or, if you move, a different dealer would have to contact the selling dealer for reimbursement.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the only after market accessory items that an acura dealership should install are the dvd headrests for the mdx/rdx and window tint - I work at an acura dealership and those are the only aftermarket accessory items that I know of that get installed by the factory

1 - 7 of 7 Posts