Acura World banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, since A-L.com is still having issues I'm gonna post this over here. I am looking to install the AEM EMS in my 91 Sedan. I know the only thing that keeps this from happening is the fact that our ignition system needs 6 ignition signals and the EMS ony has 5. So the factory ignition needs to be upgraded. What can I do to upgrade the system. I already know that the G1 wire ends fit in the G2s spark plug gallies. I need input on this so I can get the ball rolling!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Lenny,

I just posted this on AL.com

If you only need three channels then you can go with a waisted spark configuration. (like a GM as you mentioned) You would not need to get anything extra (if you have what you say you have) and your stock coils would work just fine...

The firing order on a 2G Legend is as follows 1,4,2,5,3,6. All you need to do is fire a cylinder on the exhaust stroke with a cylinder on compression stroke. You will be firing 2 coils at a time with this configuration. I think the following would be a correct table to determine which cylinder is on the exhaust stroke based on which is firing. (Just speculation and based on a standard 4 stroke principle, so maybe you could research it to be 100%)

Firing Cylinder / Exhaust Stroke
1-----------------5
4-----------------3
2-----------------6
5-----------------1
3-----------------4
6-----------------2

Going by the above information you could pair the following coils 1-5, 4-3, 2-6 and have a configured waiste spark ignition.

I think the AEM EMS has the ability to fire a coil without needing an ignition module to be the middle man. You will have to do some wiring but it should work. Check an AEM manual on how to configure the EMS to do this.. If you would rather have the transistor module, but still want to run the waiste spark configuration then check into some late model Nissan Maxima 3.5 coils. They are a three wire system w/ a transistor built in. 12V, Gnd, computer signal (Gnd). I think w/ minor modification they can be made to work, if the plug boot is long enough.

Hopefully this helps

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rumnarv said:
Lenny,

I just posted this on AL.com

If you only need three channels then you can go with a waisted spark configuration. (like a GM as you mentioned) You would not need to get anything extra (if you have what you say you have) and your stock coils would work just fine...

The firing order on a 2G Legend is as follows 1,4,2,5,3,6. All you need to do is fire a cylinder on the exhaust stroke with a cylinder on compression stroke. You will be firing 2 coils at a time with this configuration. I think the following would be a correct table to determine which cylinder is on the exhaust stroke based on which is firing. (Just speculation and based on a standard 4 stroke principle, so maybe you could research it to be 100%)

Firing Cylinder / Exhaust Stroke
1-----------------5
4-----------------3
2-----------------6
5-----------------1
3-----------------4
6-----------------2

Going by the above information you could pair the following coils 1-5, 4-3, 2-6 and have a configured waiste spark ignition.

I think the AEM EMS has the ability to fire a coil without needing an ignition module to be the middle man. You will have to do some wiring but it should work. Check an AEM manual on how to configure the EMS to do this.. If you would rather have the transistor module, but still want to run the waiste spark configuration then check into some late model Nissan Maxima 3.5 coils. They are a three wire system w/ a transistor built in. 12V, Gnd, computer signal (Gnd). I think w/ minor modification they can be made to work, if the plug boot is long enough.

Hopefully this helps
:lol: You didn't have to post it again man! I put this up when A-L was down!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.