Acura World banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

This must be the nth time you are seeing a post like this, but its not the same. Hear me out

I am in grad school looking to buy a 2001 or 2003 Celica GT or GTS (based on availability and miles) or a 2002/03 Acura RSX base or Type S (again based on availability and miles).

Why these years? - because only these fit my budget - yes I know 01,03 celica burns oil
Transmission - Only Manual
Miles - after researching online I can find cars with only over 140k miles for my budget - very important to consider

I will not be racing them nor modifying it beyond HID lamps or Cold Air Intakes or Spoilers! I will be using them daily and will be using them for long trips once in a while, like from South Carolina to Texas!

Yes the GTS and Type S may have higher insurance and require premium fuel but how much higher would it add to? If the RSX has a better aftermarket (as mentioned by many users), do you think regular servicing would be less expensive than the GTS?

Yes the RSX interiors and base model has better features, but none of that matters to me. Not the Type S's 200hp over the GTS' 180hp, not the handling of the celica being better than the RSX.

My main criteria in buying either of these is longevity and maintenance costs. Am looking for a clean title so hoping it to last atleast 3 years without major issues. Which of these is better, considering the model year, miles, availability and cost of parts, celica's oil burning, regular maintenance?

Could someone help me rate them based on these criteria alone?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Hopefully someone on the board can help you. In my 14 years of online forums, this is the first time I have seen an RSX vs. Celica question posted.

·
Old Parts Slinger
9,587 Posts
I would go with the RSX just for the fact that it is a generation newer. The Yamaha 1.8l engine in the GT-S is a great engine. So good that Lotus uses them in the Elise/Exiege. How exactly they extracted more power out of them, I have no idea. But still the fact, the 1ZZ motor is a highly stressed engine out of the box to make the power it has. The RSX's K20 does have similar power, but torque band is far better and due to it, you will probably save some fuel as well because you won't have to wind them out. Put it this way: it is about headroom for the engine. The 1.8 Toyota/Yamaha 1ZZ engine is pretty close to it's limits stock which the K20 still has more room to breath and stretch its legs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts