Acura World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I have a question about some rust repair that needs to be done on the love of my life. Known by others as a '96 Integra Special Edition.

I need some advice. I am planning to take it to a couple auto body shops in the area in a couple days for some estimates and I'd like to hear what some of your estimates are as well.

The rust first showed itself when one of the right hand screws in my rear bumper fell out. The screw and hole were rusted out and couldn't hold that side of the bumper anymore.
Since I needed my car at that very second, a mechanic shop near me just bolted a strip of metal for a very temporary, but usable fix.
Obviously this strip of metal is death to the body right now and so I know that I need to fix this ASAP.

And a small little bubble on the same side:

So, I know that I need to fix that side.

But now I've noticed the paint on the other fender is bubbling up in many areas too.

The side skirt is also missing a screw or two due to the rust.
So it droops slightly.

I'm really in love with my teg and I'm kinda hoping it won't hit my wallet too too hard.
Sadly, I have had to drive this in winter as you can see from the salt residue, but other then these problem areas, the car is in very very good shape, and drives so beautifully.

Any help would be great, thanks!

·
Banned
30,092 Posts
Good question. There are a few older threads discussing this, but I think its a good thing to bring up again fresh. This is an very unfortunate, but common ailment to Integras.

Use the search feature, and I think the mods here will be more than happy to help get you on your way to fixing this. Won't be cheap or easy, but well worth it.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
Yeah, that is the biggest weak point in the body structure of the Integra. Best bet would be to take it to a reputable body shop and get a free quote. Exact price will depend on your area, the hourly rate of the shop, and just how bad that actually is, which is pretty bad, but not HORRIBLE.

·
"We got this... go home."
25,012 Posts
Have you had body work done before? From some of those pictures the body looks like it has heavy lines in the body like poorly sanded body filler :dunno: The second picture you posted makes the body texture appear to be like elephant's skin... and not a smooth surface like normal.

Also, take a look at these pictures around the fender, it appears the same way:

It looks as if the car has had work down on it previously and it looks poor at best; you might get away with just a localized treatment of the rust bubbles, but you may want to look into a complete fender replacement. If those fenders have been treated before and have more body filler than metal it might be best to just invest in new fenders and have them painted to match.

Besy of luck and shop around! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you had body work done before? From some of those pictures the body looks like it has heavy lines in the body like poorly sanded body filler :dunno: The second picture you posted makes the body texture appear to be like elephant's skin... and not a smooth surface like normal.

IMAGES

It looks as if the car has had work down on it previously and it looks poor at best; you might get away with just a localized treatment of the rust bubbles, but you may want to look into a complete fender replacement. If those fenders have been treated before and have more body filler than metal it might be best to just invest in new fenders and have them painted to match.

Besy of luck and shop around! :thumbsup:

Hey, that would make sense actually.
Thanks for pointing that out.

The shop that put in the temporary piece of metal mentioned that car had had body work on it before.

Thanks for bringing my attention to that.
I was wondering what the lines in the body were.

Any ballpark idea on how much a pair of new fenders with a paint match job would cost?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And also, what part number would the rear fender be?
I can't seem to find it on the Acura Parts site.

·
AW Detailing Wanker
16,287 Posts
And also, what part number would the rear fender be?
I can't seem to find it on the Acura Parts site.
You can't find it because it isn't a "replacable" part. To properly repair that are you will need to have a shop cut out the rusting metal and form a new piece or sheet metal to replace it. They are welded in place and are one with the shell of the car.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah I see.
So then technically, it would be more expensive to do a full fender repair but better in the long run?

·
"We got this... go home."
25,012 Posts
Ah I see.
So then technically, it would be more expensive to do a full fender repair but better in the long run?
IF the front fenders have been "treated" already from another body shop, there is probably little that can be done other than a full fender replacement - this current body shop (just from a visual inspection) won't be able to really tell how extensive the rust damage is until they start to really dig in and tear things apart, the current front fenders may have already been cut up to the point where replacing them is a better option than trying to salvage them. Think from a labor standpoint, would you rather they spend 3 hours determining the extent of the damage on an already "repaired" fender - plus the time to fix the damage; or just buy a new fender and pay for the prep, paint and installation. I would rather invest in a part I know is solid vs. taking a gamble on repairing someone's botched repair job.

Regarding the rear fenders, I was joking about replacing the entire shell, your best bet and only real alternative will be for the current body shop to cut out the cancerous rust and replace metal with metal as S2K2K4 pointed out earlier. The rear of the car will most likely cost you the most amount of money b/c its not just a simple fix as taking off and replacing a component.

Another alternative would be to find another Integra at a junkyard that doesn't have rust damage and for the autobody to cut out sections of that body to replace on yours :dunno: again, not the most cost effective and not the be-all-end-all of solutions...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I understand.

That makes a lot of sense.

I am about to go to a bunch of auto body shops around the area to request a quote.

I will let you know.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Turns out that I'll be able to get the job done for a low $450.
The first quote I got put me at around $1960 which is what I expected.

But I was told about this guy by the local mechanic and he's very highly recommended.
I believe he just does this as a side job but he is very very good.

No bondo work, bends his own metal.
Sounds good to me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts