Acura World banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I am the owner of the 9-3 known as Rogue I, a project car I was slowly turning into a Swedish version of KITT...

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Automotive side marker light Car
Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold Vehicle Automotive fuel system Auto part
Sky Tire Car Vehicle Wheel
Vehicle Car Automotive design Motor vehicle Radio

Her ECM went haywire, and that lead to a misfire which caused heating issues that caused the head gasket to fail, and the antifreeze to get cloudy. She also needs the exhaust redone thanks to Austin's pristine roadways that totally don't have craters in them and resemble a bombed-out WWII runway. I love her to death, though, and will probably be forking over large sums to get her back up and running (the goal is a stage V 2.0 with a HX35 diesel turbo sticking out of the hood and covered with a scoop for cooling, as well as a KITT-style green scanner bar using LED clusters in the grille under the front bumper between the foggies).

I thus needed something as equally stylish, and found a hail-dinged 06 Acura TL in alabaster silver with only 109,500 miles on it, and for $7k. As you can see, the engine bay is immaculate, and it has a new alternator, new purge valve solenoid, new gaskets and seals, etc.

Car Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Grille Motor vehicle

As far as I can tell, the car has been babied but for the hail damage. Any ideas how much that is going to cost to hammer out? Or is the whole car just going to have to be skim-coated and repainted?

Coming from a Saab to Acura, I couldn't help but critique a few things. For one, the central armrest is horrifying. The engineering team that decided, "Hey, why don't we put a leather-covered piece of oak here?" should be fired. The blind spots are a bit larger, but not terrible, and backing up is a bit interesting as I'm still trying to learn the dimensions of the car for such maneuvers. And the lack of true bluetooth connectivity is unacceptable. Yes, the phone connects, but if it doesn't connect to a radio equipped, in 2006, with a cassette deck (?!) it's DOA. I don't care about talking to people when I drive because I never do.

That said, I do love the quietness of the cabin. The suspension is a lot better and much more tight compared to the Saab, although this could be due to her broken lower control arm and tie rod. She handles just as nicely as the Saab, tight in corners with minimal body roll, and the brakes are much more responsive, though I do plan to switch to ceramic pads to limit dust. The body lines are very attractive, and while the dash is cracked, a cover will ameliorate that mess. Are there any aftermarket dash boards made for the Acura, and not just covers?

I was never a fan of Honda, mostly because of how cheap I felt the look of these overly-modded Civic hatchbacks looked. I always preferred more subtle modifications to sort of showcase what was already a beautifully-engineered machine (in the case of Saab). I loved Honda for the Indy car engines, but unfortunately, I can't fit one in my TL. lmao Just a quick ebay browsing later, though, and I can already tell this is going to be a fun car to modify and see where I can take it. A turbo at some point is mandatory, however.

Plans include adding a trunk lip spoiler, and a window spoiler, too. I also plan on installing ice blocks immediately. I feel the look of clear tail lights is far superior on silver cars than on black cars, which is why I smoked my Saab's tail lights. I also want to add rain guards to the windows and small mud flaps to the fenders as well as fender flare to protect the edges of the paint. I plan on getting a full bra as well as these roads down here are like sandpaper. I want to tint out the windows at 5%, too. Was even thinking of installing K-1 style bumpers and an open shark's mouth-style grille for added uniqueness.

Best of all, I'll be registering it in Wisconsin under the plates R0GUE II, so it will be an official Rogue Squadron car along with my Saab. lmao I'm going to get a Euro-plate for her, too, with the Japanese flag instead of Swedish one.

So, couple of questions. What is the best bluetooth radio kit for her? What about an aux jack? Someone said they made a HUD system for Acuras--is this true? I was actually going to try to build one our of optic acrylic for the Saab lmao. How hard is it to get behind the radio, and how crowded is it? I want to add a President McKinley SSB and a Stryker SR-A10 antenna, but mounting it may be problematic unless its a hardpoint. And of course, there'll be a radar detector as well. What other internal instrumentation modifications can be done? Also, is there a programming tool of choice like there is with Saabs (the GM Tech II)? Wondering about hidden settings that can be activated.

She's under private warranty, and I plan on getting her into an Acura dealer for a multi-point inspection as well, just to ensure I have a baseline.

Looking forward to participating on this forum and asking lots of questions! Thanks ahead of time!

·
Administrator
2018 Acura RDX Tech, AWD
56 Posts
So, I am the owner of the 9-3 known as Rogue I, a project car I was slowly turning into a Swedish version of KITT...

View attachment 35745 View attachment 35749 View attachment 35750 View attachment 35746

Her ECM went haywire, and that lead to a misfire which caused heating issues that caused the head gasket to fail, and the antifreeze to get cloudy. She also needs the exhaust redone thanks to Austin's pristine roadways that totally don't have craters in them and resemble a bombed-out WWII runway. I love her to death, though, and will probably be forking over large sums to get her back up and running (the goal is a stage V 2.0 with a HX35 diesel turbo sticking out of the hood and covered with a scoop for cooling, as well as a KITT-style green scanner bar using LED clusters in the grille under the front bumper between the foggies).

I thus needed something as equally stylish, and found a hail-dinged 06 Acura TL in alabaster silver with only 109,500 miles on it, and for $7k. As you can see, the engine bay is immaculate, and it has a new alternator, new purge valve solenoid, new gaskets and seals, etc.

View attachment 35747 View attachment 35748

As far as I can tell, the car has been babied but for the hail damage. Any ideas how much that is going to cost to hammer out? Or is the whole car just going to have to be skim-coated and repainted?

Coming from a Saab to Acura, I couldn't help but critique a few things. For one, the central armrest is horrifying. The engineering team that decided, "Hey, why don't we put a leather-covered piece of oak here?" should be fired. The blind spots are a bit larger, but not terrible, and backing up is a bit interesting as I'm still trying to learn the dimensions of the car for such maneuvers. And the lack of true bluetooth connectivity is unacceptable. Yes, the phone connects, but if it doesn't connect to a radio equipped, in 2006, with a cassette deck (?!) it's DOA. I don't care about talking to people when I drive because I never do.

That said, I do love the quietness of the cabin. The suspension is a lot better and much more tight compared to the Saab, although this could be due to her broken lower control arm and tie rod. She handles just as nicely as the Saab, tight in corners with minimal body roll, and the brakes are much more responsive, though I do plan to switch to ceramic pads to limit dust. The body lines are very attractive, and while the dash is cracked, a cover will ameliorate that mess. Are there any aftermarket dash boards made for the Acura, and not just covers?

I was never a fan of Honda, mostly because of how cheap I felt the look of these overly-modded Civic hatchbacks looked. I always preferred more subtle modifications to sort of showcase what was already a beautifully-engineered machine (in the case of Saab). I loved Honda for the Indy car engines, but unfortunately, I can't fit one in my TL. lmao Just a quick ebay browsing later, though, and I can already tell this is going to be a fun car to modify and see where I can take it. A turbo at some point is mandatory, however.

Plans include adding a trunk lip spoiler, and a window spoiler, too. I also plan on installing ice blocks immediately. I feel the look of clear tail lights is far superior on silver cars than on black cars, which is why I smoked my Saab's tail lights. I also want to add rain guards to the windows and small mud flaps to the fenders as well as fender flare to protect the edges of the paint. I plan on getting a full bra as well as these roads down here are like sandpaper. I want to tint out the windows at 5%, too. Was even thinking of installing K-1 style bumpers and an open shark's mouth-style grille for added uniqueness.

Best of all, I'll be registering it in Wisconsin under the plates R0GUE II, so it will be an official Rogue Squadron car along with my Saab. lmao I'm going to get a Euro-plate for her, too, with the Japanese flag instead of Swedish one.

So, couple of questions. What is the best bluetooth radio kit for her? What about an aux jack? Someone said they made a HUD system for Acuras--is this true? I was actually going to try to build one our of optic acrylic for the Saab lmao. How hard is it to get behind the radio, and how crowded is it? I want to add a President McKinley SSB and a Stryker SR-A10 antenna, but mounting it may be problematic unless its a hardpoint. And of course, there'll be a radar detector as well. What other internal instrumentation modifications can be done? Also, is there a programming tool of choice like there is with Saabs (the GM Tech II)? Wondering about hidden settings that can be activated.

She's under private warranty, and I plan on getting her into an Acura dealer for a multi-point inspection as well, just to ensure I have a baseline.

Looking forward to participating on this forum and asking lots of questions! Thanks ahead of time!
Welcome to the forum. As for your questions. It is best you post those separately from your introductory thread. In tue correct sub forum, according to the year and model of your Acura

1 - 3 of 3 Posts