Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently at 32K miles and since the Bay Area must have one of the most expensive service costs in the country, so it's good to save some $$ when you can.
Instead of having the dealer do a full 30K service which is mostly Inspect this, check that, etc...

I just had them do a Tranny Fluid Flush($140). There is also a tranny fluid change($70) which only gets rid of about 1/3 of the fluid. The flush gets rid of all of it.
And an Oil Change ($30)
+ Tax
Total: $175

But I decided to do the Engine Air Filter, and A/C Micron Filter Change myself. 99-01 are probably the same, double check for 02 and above.
Hepa A/C Filter
PN: 80291-S84-A01
Desc: P 260 ELEMENT, FI
Qty: 2
Cost: 10.23 Each (20.48 tot)

Engine Air Filter
PN: 17220-P8C-A00
Desc: P 260 ELEMENT, AI
Qty: 1
Cost: 25.65

Total Parts = $49.91

Dealer Labor Charge
A/C Filter: $75
Air Filter: $35
Rotate Tires: ??
This is just a rough estimate that I DIDN'T have to pay.

GRAND TOTAL: $225

Here are the steps to replace your Air Filter and A/C Filter:

Tools Needed:
Phillps Screwdriver
Small Flathead Screwdriver
Flashlight if you have one ;)

Engine Air FIlter
1) Pop off the Battery cover, this makes it easier to pop open the air box.
2) There are four screws that hold your air box in place, unscrew them, they stay in place.
3) Pull the top part of the air box up and towards the fender
4) You'll see the old filter underneth, just lift the air box up enough for you to pull the filter out.
5) Replace with new filter, note the direction that the filter is supposed to go in. There is a "UP" lable on the side that goes up. It really only fits one way, so you should be able to figure it out.
Screw everything back, put back the battery cover.
10 minutes later, you're DONE! :)

A/C Micron Filter Replacement
1) Open the glove box, and remove whatever stuff you are hiding in there.
2) There is a piston that slows the glove box opening, it's held on by a screw on the right side.. remove the screw, and pop off the piston from the centering tab.
3) Using the flatblade screwdriver, pop off the two stoppers on either side of the glove box. They are on the sides of the inner part where you put your stuff.
4) Once the stoppers are off, the glove box should fully opend downward. Next Remove the two phillips screws holding the glove box to the dash.
5)Once the glove box is fully off, you'll have to remove the plastic panel that says "Do not discard" that is held on by two phillips screws.
6) Once the panel is off, you just pull from the bottom of the middle plastic, it should just pop off.
7) You'll see two white verticle boxes one on top of the other, these are where the filters are held. Note the direction of the air flow (pointing to the driver's side)
8) Pull the bottom one out first, then the top one.
9) While you have the old filter out of the boxes, take a minute to clean them.
10) Put in the new filters in the same direction as the old ones.
11) Put the boxes with the new filters back in place, top one first then bottom one (It's easier).
12) Put back all screws and panels in reverse order that you took them out.
- The screw on the driver's side that holds the glove box to the dash is kinda tricky to put back on.
- To put the screw that attatches the piston, pull the piston onto the holding tab on the glove box, then screw it down.

Took me about 45 min since I didn't really know what I was doing, but it should only take you about 30.

Both the air filter and A/C filters were very very dirty, and I'm glad to change them. Manual says to change the A/C every 30K miles. Hope this helps you guys out to save a little money by doing it yourself. :beerchug:

·
Registered
433 Posts
wow it sound scary. I plan to change my ac filter too. I called the dealer they told me the price, and I got scare away. Now let me see if i can take everything off. If i can do it, i will do it on my own or else i have to bring to dealer :( for them to take it off.

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Hey thanks edub...looks like I'm going your route because I can't justify the $400 quote Oakland gave me for the 30k service (I'm 28.5k right now). In addition, I put in Redline 5w20 (7.75 quart x 5 + WaterWetter + K&N gold oil filter). That adds another $70 to the service that I would be paying out of my pocket.

What suprised me though is that for another $20 more you could of gotten a K&N engine filter or even the Comptech (used) one.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Henry,
I don't have a damn digital camera.. come on man, can't you tell I'm a cheap mofo?? :D

EG,
Well, I just did the regular filter cuz I didn't want to bother with another one for the mean time.. I'm still debating if I should get a CAI or not, and which one..

·
Registered
113 Posts
Edub said:
Henry,
I don't have a damn digital camera.. come on man, can't you tell I'm a cheap mofo?? :D

EG,
Well, I just did the regular filter cuz I didn't want to bother with another one for the mean time.. I'm still debating if I should get a CAI or not, and which one..
Nice post Edub. Want to buy my old Weapon-R short ram? :D

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Edub said:
Henry,

EG,
Well...whatever you choose....get a used one. That way the choices are limited so it'll be easier for you...plus you'll feel good knowing you paid less just in case you don't want it anymore.

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have done the oil change myself, in fact, I could have probably done the tranny flush myself as well.. but I don't have the time or tools to do it here..
I didn't want to bother with disposing the used fluids.. these 10hr workdays are killin me :D

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Nice post, Eric!! STICKY!!!!! :D

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
Edub:
You can go even further...with a little gallon jug and 7 quarts of tranny fluid you can do the whole flush yourself...total $35.

Austin519

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Austin519 said:
Edub:
You can go even further...with a little gallon jug and 7 quarts of tranny fluid you can do the whole flush yourself...total $35.

Austin519
how can you do a full flush yourself?! i thought you need some sort of machine so you can keep your car running and at the same time putting in and pumping out fluid

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
rominl:
Well...I guess it technically isn't a full flush...but it's the same way that...who was it SilverBullet? Did for the tranny cooler install that I will soon be hooking up as soon as they're done bitching about my tranny. You flush, cycle, fill, flush, cycle, fill.

Austin519

·
White Diamond Pearl '02 Acura TL Type S w/Navi
77 Posts
Good job, sir! I can't afford my caviar tastes until I'm a working man again. Good to know where I can cut corners!

V.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Edub!
man my car's nearing 30k already...I"m at 29.4k ...
I guess I'll be changing that A/C Filter...
I gotta find out how much my friend can get that filter for me.
Luckily for me...I've been changing my tranny fluid every other oil chanve :D pays to be good friends w/ a honda tech

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
99 Posts

Hepa A/C Filter
PN: 80291-S84-A01
Desc: P 260 ELEMENT, FI
Qty: 2
Cost: 10.23 Each (20.48 tot)

Engine Air Filter
PN: 17220-P8C-A00
Desc: P 260 ELEMENT, AI
Qty: 1
Cost: 25.65

Total Parts = $49.91

where did you buy the parts? I go the air filter from Acura for $80....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.