Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading Motor Trend's July 2002 issue, I was reading the article about the G35 Coupe. They mentioned the CL, saying

Acura, for one, is said to be ready to abandon its 3.2CL coupe when the new TL debuts next year. "
That snippet pretty much, to me, seals the CL's fate. So what do you guys think Acura could have done to make the CL line successful? RWD? More HP? Stronger tranny? More agressive styling?

One good thing that may come out of the CL's demise is the fact that we wont see as many of them on the road :)

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
I think rwd and 6 speed being released earlier would have helped. As the car was released they advertised it as a "drivers' car and they didn't offer clutch. The product we see now is a good product. Price is right, good handling, fast, etc. But no rwd kind of steers away performance buyers. G35 coupe might be a big hit simply, because it offers everything the CL-S does with better style, rwd, 6-speed, and price right out of the gate. Honda is being really stubborn. I mean there still isn't talk about a v-8 in the new nsx.

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
I think the biggest problem is that it was aimed at people who don't typically buy coupes. I'm talking people over 40 who it was initially targeted at. The lack of RWD certainly kept to BMW snobs away. But going with RWD would have driven off most of North America. Coupes just don't sell well unless they're cheap (ie affordable to young buyers) or expensive (ie appealing to older buyers who have more than one car.) The CL is sort of in the middle. Oh well. I don't really care if its gone. The Prelude was a victim of similar circumstances but its still a good car. I got my 6 speed so :p .

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
mdaniel said:
I think the biggest problem is that it was aimed at people who don't typically buy coupes. I'm talking people over 40 who it was initially targeted at. The lack of RWD certainly kept to BMW snobs away. But going with RWD would have driven off most of North America. Coupes just don't sell well unless they're cheap (ie affordable to young buyers) or expensive (ie appealing to older buyers who have more than one car.) The CL is sort of in the middle. Oh well. I don't really care if its gone. The Prelude was a victim of similar circumstances but its still a good car. I got my 6 speed so :p .
I agree. And even if it was RWD, the lack of a little blue and white propeller on the hood still would have kept 90% of the BMW snobs away.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
GoldTypeS said:

I agree. And even if it was RWD, the lack of a little blue and white propeller on the hood still would have kept 90% of the BMW snobs away.
BMW snobs are like mac users... They won't admit to any known problems... I.e. engine fires in the X5... type 10 errors on OS9... bah... I'll stick to my Acura and Windows 2000.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Scorpius said:

BMW snobs are like mac users... They won't admit to any known problems... I.e. engine fires in the X5... type 10 errors on OS9... bah... I'll stick to my Acura and Windows 2000.
That is so true, me and Rondog argue all the time about how much Macs suck. I think if the CL had come with more agressive from day one, it would have been a hit. If it had more of the Straight edge to mooth surfaces like the TL it would have been more appealing. 75% of people dont care about performance, all they want is a car that's reliable, looks good and drives nice.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
dont forget.....OEM body kit to go along wit it and no suppliers to do any modifications :(

·
Registered
97 Posts
My personal take on this (not that any of you asked) is that the CL lacked an identity.

The CL, while an awesome car, isn't anything more than a 2 door TL. Not a bad starting point, of course, but it's not different enough to give it it's own soul. In my opinion, the CL didn't fail Acura... Acura failed the CL, not only in the design (in my opinion, RWD and a manual are a MUST for a true luxury coupe nowadays) but also in how they marketed the car. I cannot even tell you the last CL ad I saw before they made the last-ditch advertising effort by announcing the availability of a 6-speed.

Given the luxury coupe market as of late, it's little wonder that the CL is hurting. The market demands a grand slam coupe while the CL is only (sarcasm here, folks) a two run homer.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Maybe Acura should have sold both the TL and CL under the Honda marque, making them "upscale economy" cars instead of "downscale luxury" cars... You'd attract more economy-minded people that way, including people who don't care if the CL is FWD.

Feature for feature, the TL and CL offer much more bang for the buck than any other product out there. Acura/Honda's marketing does need work though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
daverman said:
Maybe Acura should have sold both the TL and CL under the Honda marque, making them "upscale economy" cars instead of "downscale luxury" cars... You'd attract more economy-minded people that way, including people who don't care if the CL is FWD.
Yeah, but6 not many people would buy a $30,000 Honda. In people's minds, for that ammount they think they can get an Acura or a lexus. Plus, the accord is similar in size in both the coupe and sedan. How are you going to have them all share the same line. Honda will never drop the accord.

·
Registered
737 Posts
the cL definately could have used a body kit...maybe some better styling up front...the car is very attractive imo...it just doesn't sell well to non acura car buyers...especially ones who are looking for 2 door sportiness...what attracted me to the TL over the CL was the fact that I could have had the best of both worlds in the TL...its hard to say why anyone would resist:D...Shyne:D

·
Registered
431 Posts
bigman said:

Yeah, but6 not many people would buy a $30,000 Honda. In people's minds, for that ammount they think they can get an Acura or a lexus.
Honda doesn't seem to have a problem selling the Odyssey; with leather and navigation, it's over the $30k mark.

And from the sales numbers they can't build these things fast enough.

Also, the Pilot will top out at $32,520.

·
Registered
97 Posts
IntegraVT said:

Honda doesn't seem to have a problem selling the Odyssey; with leather and navigation, it's over the $30k mark.

And from the sales numbers they can't build these things fast enough.

Also, the Pilot will top out at $32,520.
The market for minivans and SUV's is on fire right now. A lot of Honda dealers are naming their own prices for these vehicles and still selling them quicker than they can be built.

Two of my friends are mechanics at Rick Case Honda and I was talking to them one morning and a truck pulled up with 7 Odysseys on it. The mechanics scrambled to clear spots for them in the service bay to PDI them because they'd all been presold. Same deal with the Pilot.

Unfortunately for the CL, the entry-level luxury coupe market is one notch above the toilet.

·
Token Lexus Guy
1,474 Posts
Coupes gotta look the part and the CL while nice, does not stand out to most anyone. The name CL, does not catch attention. The CL offers not much of an argument to buy over a TL, let alone the competition.

Call it the Legend and watch it SELL SELL SELL!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I think Honda has to look at the style that BMW and even volvo with the c70 use. Shorter over hangs, better handling and more agressive styling. They have to understand that if a person wants luggage space, let the get a TL or RL, But if the want a sporty coupe, let them get the CL.

·
I WANT YOU!
5,777 Posts
evolaerok said:
I think rwd and 6 speed being released earlier would have helped. As the car was released they advertised it as a "drivers' car and they didn't offer clutch. The product we see now is a good product. Price is right, good handling, fast, etc. But no rwd kind of steers away performance buyers. G35 coupe might be a big hit simply, because it offers everything the CL-S does with better style, rwd, 6-speed, and price right out of the gate. Honda is being really stubborn. I mean there still isn't talk about a v-8 in the new nsx.
Seems to me that having an extra year (no 2000 model) they could have put together a CL model that featured RWD and a 6-speed tranny option. I don't understand why they'd want to test the market without a manual tranny option. :dunno:

Also, the main reason I will be getting a G35 Coupe is because it's RWD (it will also have a 6-speed tranny :) ). Handelling-wise, I'm not at all impressed with the FWD CL-S, even with springs and sways installed.

·
Cajun Gumbo Man
916 Posts
ALL WHEEL DRIVE would have RATTLED the Germans, but folks, the fact of the matter "Acura" is for us Americans, and we don't account for much, according to the BRASS in Japan.....HONDA builds tons of stuff, sells tf all over the world.......they don't care about us Americans........Navi's have been in Honda in Japan for years now, camera's built in with views from all angles........get the picture ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.