Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all -

Just a quick question. For all of you who have lowered your cars, have you changed your shocks as well? I don't remember where, but someone told me you have to change your shocks if you lower your car??? Is this true???

Thanks in advance
 

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
yes and no. It all depends on how much lower you want to go and what the spring rates are set to. As a general rule..the lower/stiffer your springs get, the more you should change to better shocks to avoid bottoming out. Personally I am torn between the H&R OE (~0.8 inch drop) vs the Neuspeed Sports (~1.8 drop)...both are the same price, but so far I am leaning towards the OE just for clearance sake (call me a chicken).
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
edgalang said:
yes and no. It all depends on how much lower you want to go and what the spring rates are set to. As a general rule..the lower/stiffer your springs get, the more you should change to better shocks to avoid bottoming out. Personally I am torn between the H&R OE (~0.8 inch drop) vs the Neuspeed Sports (~1.8 drop)...both are the same price, but so far I am leaning towards the OE just for clearance sake (call me a chicken).
Edalang, I have the OE's and they lower the car a bit more that what you said. It's due to the added weight of the TL, I probably guessing my drop is about 1.15
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
bloo_tls02 said:
What kind of drop you you suggest if I just didnt want a huge wheel gap showing after I install a kit?
OE's or comptech. I have OEs right now and will be making the switch to comptech real soon. With either one you have enough clearence and shouldn't scrap.
 

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
evolaerok said:


OE's or comptech. I have OEs right now and will be making the switch to comptech real soon.
:confused: WTF?! I thought you were happy with the OE's...after reading your posts on the ATL site you made those baby's my dream springs. The only reason why I never made a switch to stock to the OE's was that I cant swallow the fact that the install+alaignment will cost you more than the springs themselves.

BTW...this is where I was thinking of making my purchase.
http://www.altasports.net/products/Suspension/Springs/H&R/Honda/

H&R OE Sport Springs #51858-55 129.99 kit

Keep me posted...I am very interested in the used OE's.
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
edgalang said:


:confused: WTF?! I thought you were happy with the OE's...after reading your posts on the ATL site you made those baby's my dream springs. The only reason why I never made a switch to stock to the OE's was that I cant swallow the fact that the install+alaignment will cost you more than the springs themselves.

BTW...this is where I was thinking of making my purchase.
http://www.altasports.net/products/Suspension/Springs/H&R/Honda/

H&R OE Sport Springs #51858-55 129.99 kit

Keep me posted...I am very interested in the used OE's.
I love them, I do, but I wanna go a little bit lower. Plus I rode in my friends car with the comptechs and they ride a little better. I guess, because it's progressive rated. I love the OE's and always will, just a little bit more drop.
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
i have the comptech and i love them. 2 inches drop and the ride quality is still there. i drive carefully over dips and bumps (you have to be more careful with dips imho) and never scrap my car even with my body kits on. the rake look is awesome imho as well since it makes the car look more aggresive.

from what i see i think the comptech and the oe sports give our cars the best drop. comptech means raked look and the oe sports is an even drop
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
edgalang said:


:confused: WTF?! I thought you were happy with the OE's...after reading your posts on the ATL site you made those baby's my dream springs. The only reason why I never made a switch to stock to the OE's was that I cant swallow the fact that the install+alaignment will cost you more than the springs themselves.

BTW...this is where I was thinking of making my purchase.
http://www.altasports.net/products/Suspension/Springs/H&R/Honda/

H&R OE Sport Springs #51858-55 129.99 kit

Keep me posted...I am very interested in the used OE's.
and yes edgalang, with the h&r you actually get more drop than stated coz' of the weight of our cars. and for installation, i got my springs installed for 80 bucks, and i got an alignment done few weeks later for another 40, so it's 120. for me it's ok coz' my comptech's are expensive to begin with anyway :)
 

·
Registered User
Joined
·
290 Posts
Do you have any good side profile and front pics of the OE drop? I was considering this but wasn't sure if it would be enough for me. Thanks

evolaerok said:


Edalang, I have the OE's and they lower the car a bit more that what you said. It's due to the added weight of the TL, I probably guessing my drop is about 1.15
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,610 Posts
edgalang said:


BTW...this is where I was thinking of making my purchase.
http://www.altasports.net/products/Suspension/Springs/H&R/Honda/

H&R OE Sport Springs #51858-55 129.99 kit

Keep me posted...I am very interested in the used OE's.
:eek: That is some good pricing. Now, someone told me thats their cost!! So this guys is not making any money on them?? :sqnteek: How much for the shipping, 100 bucks? :nono:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
586 Posts
H&R sport springs.. SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I've had my Comptech springs for 3 years now. My stock shocks are still fine and showing no sign that they need to be replaced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Hey edgalang

did you notice a significant difference by adding the neuspeed sways and strut? I will be doing the same, but i guess im looking for an opinion first.

thanks
 

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
Joined
·
1,440 Posts
djkojione said:
Hey edgalang

did you notice a significant difference by adding the neuspeed sways and strut? I will be doing the same, but i guess im looking for an opinion first.

thanks
Can't really expand on the strut bar all that much, but the sways I feel doesn't do it justice on paper. I use to offer rides in them when I had my car and let it do all the talking...but to makes things short, you will notice the sways reduce body roll MUCH more than springs alone.

Back in the days (more than half a year ago) people critisized my racing sways saying that I'll break the brackets that they are mounted on. I think I've proven that theory wrong, and IF anything were to break, it would be the endlink rods (that is made out of plastic BTW) that will break first preventing any damage to the underbody.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,054 Posts
Love my Comptechs.. the only place I have scraped is my own driveway.. but there is a big fat dip where the driveway ends and the street begins.. :mad:

If I had a kit, I would go for the H&R OE for sure..
 

·
That is all.....
Joined
·
5,936 Posts
autophile1 said:
Do you have any good side profile and front pics of the OE drop? I was considering this but wasn't sure if it would be enough for me. Thanks

No I don't, I don't have a memory stick for my digicam and I've been to lazy to go out and buy some. I'm getting my ctech springs on, so before I do I'll post a before and after...
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
edgalang said:


Can't really expand on the strut bar all that much, but the sways I feel doesn't do it justice on paper. I use to offer rides in them when I had my car and let it do all the talking...but to makes things short, you will notice the sways reduce body roll MUCH more than springs alone.

Back in the days (more than half a year ago) people critisized my racing sways saying that I'll break the brackets that they are mounted on. I think I've proven that theory wrong, and IF anything were to break, it would be the endlink rods (that is made out of plastic BTW) that will break first preventing any damage to the underbody.
so edgalang, would you still use the neuspeed sways with your new car? and yes, the sways definitely do much much more than the springs.

edub, how many times have you scrap your body? it's surprising coz' i thought the roads are quite well around here. even with my steep parking entrace i am still ok
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,331 Posts
evolaerok said:
OE's or comptech. I have OEs right now and will be making the switch to comptech real soon. With either one you have enough clearence and shouldn't scrap.
Hey are you thinking of selling your used OE springs? Let me know what kind of price you're thinking of.
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top