Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Oracle11iGuru
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to take off my stock air filter and replace it with a cone. Question, should I install
short ram = about $130 or
cold air intake (longer) = about $230
Please post recommendations.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i don't think you'll actually feel a huge performance gain if you went with the CAI compared to the short ram. pros of getting short ram: lower cost, no risk of sucking water into the engine. Pros for CAI: about 2 extra horse power. i'd just go for the short ram.

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
55 Posts
i had both and def. think the little extra for the cai is worth it. almost seemed like i was losing power with the short ram (of course i live in FL where it is hot as hell) due to is sucking up hot ass air from the engine bay. the cai seemed to give def. better gains. and as far as sucking up water.....get the bypass valve. honestly the best thing to do, imo, is to just take out the resonator and put in a hi flo filter (i.e. comptech or k&n). this is just because it is a lot quieter than the others. that is what i have in my car right now.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've got the short ram and it's usually quiet. It's only loud when I rev the engine higher, but then I want it to be loud at those special moments. Additional advantage of Short Ram: filter stays cleaner longer and when you do eventually have to clean it, it's easy access.

·
Registered
21 Posts
HUMMMM

jkc2121 said:
i had both and def. think the little extra for the cai is worth it. almost seemed like i was losing power with the short ram (of course i live in FL where it is hot as hell) due to is sucking up hot ass air from the engine bay. the cai seemed to give def. better gains. and as far as sucking up water.....get the bypass valve. honestly the best thing to do, imo, is to just take out the resonator and put in a hi flo filter (i.e. comptech or k&n). this is just because it is a lot quieter than the others. that is what i have in my car right now.
So are you saying that you would see similar gains with the resonator out and a hi-flo filter, as opposed to the short ram,and only a slight increase with the CAI?ie:
stock=standard HP
resonator out and hi/flo=slight increase with less noise than S/R
short ram=slight increase(same as above but with more noise)
CAI=bigger increase with less noise(about +2hp over Shortram)
:scratch: :confused: :dunno:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
14,009 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
In reality, most cars are CAI with the intake in the lowest parts of the bumper. The weak link isnt the resonator but rather the corrugated tubing going to the throttle body. Yes, the resonator contributes some, but not as much as you think.....

CAI really shines when the ambient air is stationary in the engine bay. Once the Ram effect through the grill and the sucking effect of air up into the engine bay from low pressure lift resistance comes into play, the benefits of CAI vs. Shorty are nil in terms ofair temperature however.....

even tho your ass won't feel it, the Shorty velocity stack is tuned more for HP whereas the CAI intake tube V.S. is conducive to torque. Therefore, the Shorty is typically the application for better at-speed performance and the CAI is the Draggers friend.

But, really, does $150-250 an NSX make anyway?

·
Transform and roll out
5,545 Posts
is the bypass valve necessary? I don't like the idea of having to cut my brand new CAI (when I get it). Can't I just drive conservatively and not rev the engine past 3000 RPM's and not worry about pulling water?:dunno:

·
Premium Member
14,009 Posts
I remember a thread from a-cl where a member with a STOCK airbox drove through a low-lying area where the water was up to the top of his wheels and hydrolocked his engine.

IMO, it's only optional for people who live in places like AZ that NEVER get water.

fahoumh said:
is the bypass valve necessary? I don't like the idea of having to cut my brand new CAI (when I get it). Can't I just drive conservatively and not rev the engine past 3000 RPM's and not worry about pulling water?:dunno:

·
Transform and roll out
5,545 Posts
autoxCLS said:
I remember a thread from a-cl where a member with a STOCK airbox drove through a low-lying area where the water was up to the top of his wheels and hydrolocked his engine.

IMO, it's only optional for people who live in places like AZ that NEVER get water.

well, looks like I'll have to get a bypass valve when I get ahold of a CAI....ah well.:p

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
55 Posts
fahoumh said:
my cai was a 2 piece model from the start. just had to unbolt, slide the bypass in then reattach.

·
Oracle11iGuru
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the posts and recommendations. After much thots' I am going for the Short Ram.
Hey should I order it from Tim?
(just kidding Inside joke for all old TL'ers :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
2001TL4KCdude said:

Hey should I order it from Tim?
(just kidding Inside joke for all old TL'ers :)
:sqnteek: where else would you get it? Tim is the only person I've ever seen that sells aftermarket stuff for our cars:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.