Acura World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It happened again, computer wouldn't POST. Then I tried it today and it worked. Started it up and it said my CMOS was reset. Went into BIOS and had to reset everything. Only prob is that when I enetered Windows XP my computer was super unstable and would crash every 5 min. It finally gave me the error saying my Geforce2GTS was causing the instabilitiy so I dled the latest drivers from nVidia.

Halfway through the install (actually install, all files were extracted already) my comp froze and I had to restart. As I restarted I allowed Win to check for errors on disk...it found a shit load related to the driver install.

So I instead went into 'Add New Hardware' to let Win do it by itself and it used the default 12.40 drivers. My system is now stable and everything works except for some of my 3D games. Running CS I get "Your video card is not compatible with OpenGL" etc. I went into the Display->Advanced etc to fiddle with the D3D, FSAA, OpenGL, color correction, etc settings but behold they aren't there.

Apparently the driver Microsoft bundles with XP doesn't have any of these goodies. Now that my system is stable I redled the drivers from nVidia but when I install I get the following error msg. I get this msg from all driver versions that I dled. What the fuck am I supposed to do?!?!?!?! :(

PLEASE HELP, I WANT TO PLAY WARCRAFT III !!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh yeah I ran Dxdiag and DirectDraw as well as D3D work. Some stuff just doesn't work with games. Haven't tried it with W3 yet...to scared it'll crash my comp:paronoid:

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Maybe a flakey video card. That wouldn't reset your CMOS, but somtimes when a system hangs during POST and you turn it off or reset it, the CMOS gets reset. Could possibly be a flakey motherboard or RAM. I've seen flakey RAM corrupt disk I/O operations since hard drives use direct memory access. That might explain why it thinks it can read the files you extracted. Or it could just be Windows bullshit.

I actually haven't had that much experience with these "driver won't install" type issues on 2000 and XP systems. Knock on wood. They're pretty stable.

One thing I've done on Win9x systems: Move the contents of the c:\windows\inf folder to a safe place and delete the video card. Usually have to do that in safe mode or it'll blue screen. When it reboots, it will detect the "new" card but without an inf file it won't know what the hell it is. Then you can try pointing it to the folder where you extracted the detonator drivers. After the drivers are installed, copy all those inf files back but don't overwrite anything.

Also, a lot of drivers, like ATI's won't install unless the video card is currently installed as a standard VGA card. If the above doesn't work, try changing the video card to standard vga instead of MS's Geforce drivers. Might work here.

What motherboard chipset do you have?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a MSI K7T Pro with the VIA KT133 chipset. It has the D-LED feature and I got the following error codes when my system was down.

I managed to get the first error possible

Description: System Power On, Starting BIOS Intialization
Solution: The processor may be damaged or improperly installed/Damage Discharge Lithium Battery

After turning on and then turning off 25 or so times it booted partially and I got this error code:

Description: Testing Real Time Clock
Solution: Low Lithium Battery

After this I thought it was the battery but I checked it on a meter and its fine.

After more tries of turning on or off the system finally booted.

My computer pulled this stunt a while back in October but I only got the first error code. After a while it worked again but the CMOS didn't reset nor did I have any stability issues. I don't think my RAM is bad, both sticks are pretty decent (Apacer with Infinieon chips, Mushkin with Samsung chips).

I'm off to move my inf folder...:mad:

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
You still might try swapping the battery. $3 at Radio Shack. With the new info, I'm leaning more toward a flakey motherboard. It could be something as simple as a bad capacitor or two.

MSI is a pretty good brand but even the best make some lemmons. I won't comment on the chipset other to say I will never use a VIA chipset again.

Oh, you might try running just one SIMM. Could be that one's a little flakey or the two aren't working together right.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ughh...I am so contemplating getting a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mdaniel said:
Have you updated your VIA 4in1 drivers? I think they post fixes hourly. :D
Yeah they're updated. I'm trying the drivers from Visiontek not nVidia right now. I haven't had a bad experience with VIA yet. Besides, if you don't go Intel or VIA who's going to make the chips? SIS or ALI? ;)

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
bioyuki said:

Yeah they're updated. I'm trying the drivers from Visiontek not nVidia right now. I haven't had a bad experience with VIA yet. Besides, if you don't go Intel or VIA who's going to make the chips? SIS or ALI? ;)
I stick with Intel CPUs on Intel chipsets because they wrote all the rule books and the industry marches to their drum.

From what I hear, the stability rankings on the AMD side go:

1) AMD (just make sure to avoid boards that use the VIA southbridge)
2) SIS
3) ALI
10) VIA

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just dled the drivers from VisionTek and they work. Now off to try CS...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bioyuki said:
Woohooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just dled the drivers from VisionTek and they work. Now off to try CS...
MWahahahahhahah...it works!!!!!!! :beerchug:

Now should I stick with 15.70 or should I go get the current 23.XX ;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mdaniel said:

I stick with Intel CPUs on Intel chipsets because they wrote all the rule books and the industry marches to their drum.

From what I hear, the stability rankings on the AMD side go:

1) AMD (just make sure to avoid boards that use the VIA southbridge)
2) SIS
3) ALI
10) VIA
Not a big fan of Intel anymore since the Rambus days. SIS and ALI might make more stable chipsets but they don't offer the content or technology that VIA does. Sure I'll take an AMD chipset anyday but they're harder to find and pricier. I'm seriously considering about upgrading to an AMD 1600-1800XP right now so the hunt for a new motherboard begins...

·
Moderator?
9,790 Posts
Rambus is essentially dead. Intel's 845D chipset supports DDR now.

If you like to dick around with stuff and bang your head against the wall, go AMD. If want it to work, go Intel. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Can you set the voltage to the CPU in your BIOS? When My bios battery died in my P2 400, it reset toe CPU voltage to 3.5. It should be 2.0 I think. At anyrate, as soon as I would POST and get into windows, I blue screened. SO check that voltage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts