Acura World banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my tranny started to shutter... and someone told me to get it flushed from the dealer since they got that done under warrenty. So i went to my dealer today and told him i wanted my fluid flushed out. He says that he doesnt recommand that since its still a new and some of those particals need to stay in there. At that point im thinking BS, so can someone help me here. All he wants to do is change the fluid and see how it goes from there. But i have to pay for that.. which doesnt make sense since if the tranny goes out, i wouldnt have to pay for anything. He says its schudale mantains for the change thats why i have to pay, but it isnt, the change is scheduled at 30k miles in the manual and not 15k miles, rite?

oh im at 14k miles. And no, i dont think my tranny will go, i just want it smoother.

I have appointment tommorrow to take it in and change the fluid. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Tell them to suck your nut...your left one, since 98% of men's nuts hang lower there :D hahaa j/p

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
Dude - it's fairly easy to do yourself. The hardest part is getting the ATF fill bolt off of the top of the transfer case.

Now - as to the dealer's BS - tell them you feel like your transmission is failing. Explicitly state the problem as you see it. If they give you grief, tell them you will be calling Acura Customer service and opening a ticket with them.

The standard procedure for a possible failing tranny is to flush and fill the transfer case 2-3x, all under warranty. If you open the trouble as a failing tranny, they MUST do this.

Damn dealers. :-/

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
autoxCLS said:
Dude - it's fairly easy to do yourself. The hardest part is getting the ATF fill bolt off of the top of the transfer case.

The standard procedure for a possible failing tranny is to flush and fill the transfer case 2-3x, all under warranty.

Hmmm...transfer case. My bodyshop told me they found a hairlinecrack in mine and ordered me a new cover. Just so we are all in the same page...is this what the transfer case looks like?

I almost thought that it was part of the engine...but if it's the transmission..then shouldnt have my body shop flushed my tranny fuid for me already?

(I was concered that they would drain my oil out since I recently filled it up with Redline...but if this is the transmission..then I guess I'm all good) Can some1 verify this for me?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
edgalang said:

Hmmm...transfer case. My bodyshop told me they found a hairlinecrack in mine and ordered me a new cover. Just so we are all in the same page...is this what the transfer case looks like?

I almost thought that it was part of the engine...but if it's the transmission..then shouldnt have my body shop flushed my tranny fuid for me already?

(I was concered that they would drain my oil out since I recently filled it up with Redline...but if this is the transmission..then I guess I'm all good) Can some1 verify this for me?
That looks like the transfer case.

To get to that point, they would have to had drained the ATF so a flush / fill is a moot point.

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Jesal how much is the dealer charging you? I told you how my tranny oil looked right? Nasty gooey black... change it! My shutter are gone. You are talking about shutters when you slow down from like 40mph or so?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Flushing the tranny fluid regularly sounds like a very good idea. Just a question but Does the TL have a tranny oil cooler? If yes then rather than drain it wouldn't it be more effective to flush the entire system from the cooler to ensure all of the old fluid and particles are completely removed from the system?

·
Registered
737 Posts
someone tell me what I should tell my dealer...i dont think my tranny is bad...i just wanna get my shit changed too:D...Shyne:king:

·
Premium Member
13,827 Posts
DB_03TLS said:
Flushing the tranny fluid regularly sounds like a very good idea. Just a question but Does the TL have a tranny oil cooler? If yes then rather than drain it wouldn't it be more effective to flush the entire system from the cooler to ensure all of the old fluid and particles are completely removed from the system?
The TL does have a small air-to-liquid and liquid-to-liquid intercooler. Look on the lower air dam towards the radiator. The tubes that curve there are for the tranny.

However, EricL on acura-cl did a thorough engineering run-through on it and determined that the amount of heat generated by the tranny under WOT conditions easily overwhelmes the cooler's potential and how the fluid can begin to break down in a short amount of WOT time.

Granted, you should NEVER be at WOT for more that a little while (he was speaking in times near and exceeding a minute if I recall properly), so this shouldn't be a problem.

IMO, water wetter by Redline is a cheap easy assistance to keeping the tranny fluid cooler since the system uses the engine coolant to cool the tranny fluid.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
autoxcls:
For those of us with NOS, headers, and superchargers on the way (heh heh heh)...would it be possible and helpful to upgrade the cooler quite a bit? Comments?

Austin519

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Austin519 said:
autoxcls:
For those of us with NOS, headers, and superchargers on the way (heh heh heh)...would it be possible and helpful to upgrade the cooler quite a bit? Comments?

Austin519
Prototype AV6 w/ s/c is working fine with the addition of a hayden tranny cooler...

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
evolaerok:
Hayden tranny cooler? Never heard of it. Got any pics/links? I run my baby hard as it is...it'd be nice to prepare for that upgrade.

Austin519

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
i just wanted to clarify what you meant my shutters???cuz i noticed something wierd once when i was driving around 40-50mph and i hit the accelerator it kinda kicked back..but it only happened once a while back..also i have about 5500 miles on my car.

·
Oracle11iGuru
249 Posts
I think he means "Shudder" as if to shake violently, kinda like your tire is out of balance

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
sqamar95 said:
i just wanted to clarify what you meant my shutters???cuz i noticed something wierd once when i was driving around 40-50mph and i hit the accelerator it kinda kicked back..but it only happened once a while back..also i have about 5500 miles on my car.
The "shutter" problem I had, I don't know if Jesal had it or not, but when I am slowing down from like 40mph to a complete stop I get a sudden shudder from the engine and I guess tranny. Anyway after the flush it seems fine.

·
That is all.....
5,936 Posts
Austin519 said:
evolaerok:
Hayden tranny cooler? Never heard of it. Got any pics/links? I run my baby hard as it is...it'd be nice to prepare for that upgrade.

Austin519
I don't have a link or pics, but I know mike b was saying comptech installed a hayden tranny cooler plus redline high temp ATF and the tranny seems fine with the addition of the s/c. Check out comptechusa.com or av6.com

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.