Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I now some people might have seen this already before. But I just thought I post it up.

Well, there appears to be a Honda Transmission Mfg Plant in America. It is located in Ohio as well. Very close to Honda's auto plant in Marysville, Ohio.

The article says this plant, is the one that produces "the more sophisticated 5-speed for the Acura TL, CL and MDX"

Hum...interesting to me...our trannys might not even be from Japan... sqnteek:

Comments?

http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/090106.html

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
fla-tls said:
Remanufactured tranny's - maybe (probably).

New tranny's? No - look at the sticker that came on your car, and you'll notice about 20% non-US content. That's the tranny.
You know..they don't have to put that the Tranny is made here. It's just a fine print. Most average car buyers don't even bother with looking at the fine print, just price. You never know. It's just to make us think that our tranny's are made in Japan. I highly believe this article.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I can find at least two contradictory claims:
The engine is made here, too, with only the transmission shipped-in from Japan. (Source - 01 CL Type S)
Acura offers the 3.2TL with just one drivetrain: a 225-horsepower, overhead-cam V-6 that has 24 valves. It's a 3.2-liter engine that is made in America at Honda's engine plant in Anna, Ohio. So is the four-speed automatic transmission, the only one available in the 3.2TL. (Source - 98 TL European)
I guess the only way to tell if current TL's have Japanese transmissions is to walk into an Acura dealership and read the window sticker on an 03.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
daverman said:
I can find at least two contradictory claims:

I guess the only way to tell if current TL's have Japanese transmissions is to walk into an Acura dealership and read the window sticker on an 03.
'03 Window Sticker says it's from Japan. Our window stickers says it's from Japan as well.

·
Registered
37 Posts
daverman said:
I just happen to have my window sticker with me right now. I brought my owners manual in tonight to check the maintenance schedule......

I have a 2003 TL Type-S. The window sticker says:
US/Canadian Parts Content: 75%
Major Sources of Foreign Parts Content: 15%
Note: Parts content does not include final assembly, distribution or other non-parts costs.

FOR THIS VEHICLE:
Final Assembly Point: MARYSVILLE, OHIO USA
Country of Origin: Engine: USA

Transmission: JAPAN

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
ElegantTL-S said:
'03 Window Sticker says it's from Japan. Our window stickers says it's from Japan as well.
Well there you go!
Hmmm....mine is a 2002...and it says 70% US and 20% Foreign.
And 10% extraterrestrial. ;)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
daverman said:

Well there you go!

And 10% extraterrestrial. ;)
hey! I just realized it didn't add up either! :sqnteek: :eek: ehhh...i hope i'm reading it wrong! hahaha...but I remember it clearly said that.

But daverman...here's the thing. It could just say Japan on the sticker. It doesn't mean it has to be made from Japan. You know how evil and cruel the world is now. :D

·
Registered
56 Posts
interesting...

mine says:

70% us
30% in my backyard...hmm...

:sqnteek:

:boink:

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
TommyTL-S said:
interesting...

mine says:

70% us
30% in my backyard...hmm...

:sqnteek:

:boink:
haha, are you trying to make fun of me? :p I'm gonna go downstairs and re-check it!

Yeap! It says 70% and 20%...where the fawk is the missing 10%? This is retarded..damn Honda and their american made cars.. :rolleyes: :D

BTW, I went to the BMW dealer yesterday...and they had this HUGE as poster in front of the window before you walk in. the heading says "Did you know these cars are made in the U.S.A?" They are showing all the import japanese vehicles made in the US. And of course the TL and CL is on there. damn BMW...hitting below the belt... :p

·
Registered
56 Posts
MAN...what a bad name for american made products. :( damn it, i want my integra back! at least that was made in japan LOL

·
I am no one
14,897 Posts
i dunno, i don't think acura / honda is brave enough to lie about where the transmissions are manufactuered. coz' if that's the case it's a pretty serious crime they are pulling here. i doubt honda would risk anything on that one.

·
Registered
387 Posts
ElegantTL-S said:

haha, are you trying to make fun of me? :p I'm gonna go downstairs and re-check it!

Yeap! It says 70% and 20%...where the fawk is the missing 10%? This is retarded..damn Honda and their american made cars.. :rolleyes: :D

BTW, I went to the BMW dealer yesterday...and they had this HUGE as poster in front of the window before you walk in. the heading says "Did you know these cars are made in the U.S.A?" They are showing all the import japanese vehicles made in the US. And of course the TL and CL is on there. damn BMW...hitting below the belt... :p
Isn't the X5 made in America too? What do the BMW dealers have to say about that?;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
ElegantTL-S said:
There's nothing wrong with something being made in the USA. :poke:

Now, if the car were made in some 3rd world country in a factory with a dirt floor..... :scratch:

·
Registered
37 Posts
fla-tls said:
There's nothing wrong with something being made in the USA. :poke:

Now, if the car were made in some 3rd world country in a factory with a dirt floor..... :scratch:
I've had 3 previous American cars, which were built in the good 'ol US of A that disagree!!!

BUT......

On the other hand, the only thing in our car that does not seem to be built in USA is the transmission, which is the only problem child in our cars!!! If most of the car is American, then I give props to US products!!

I don't think it is a problem with US parts....I think it is a problem with US auto manufacturers not wanting to spend a little extra money to make a quality car..........

·
Registered
15,040 Posts
ElegantTL-S said:

:lol: :lol: :angel: I just dont know what to say. :bigok:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.