Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I was examining my tires today and the front right tire as in the passenger side tire is balled out on the inside of it...Is this a problem everyone has w/springs...i cant believe how bad it is and my car is aligned too...how can I fix this...i would hate to buy expensive tires and have this happen again...Shyne:king:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I believed a bubble usually happens when you hit a pothole. Have you hit anything lately that you can remember?

BTW, you should changed your tire as soon as you can cause it can decrease the performance of your car or worse comes to worse it can pop.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
binh, when I say balled out, this means that the treadwear on that tire is is gone, like not there...and the rest of the tire has tread on it...it fades from bald on the inside to having tread left on the outside of the tire...Shyne:king:

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
My bad Shyne.:D That means your ride wasn't properly aligned. BTW, I have the same problem. I have not gone to get mine aligned and the inside is also balled out. But I am planning to get new tires anyways.

·
Purchased: April 28, 2001
1,440 Posts
Mine were the same too. When I traded wheels with veilstylez a few months ago, 2 tires were bald in the inside...definite signs of a lowered car. It seems like as if the previous owner never roted tires since they knew they were going to sell the rims anyways.

Regardless...lowered or not, that is more of a camber issue. Hypothetically anyone with enough negative camber will cause the same uneven tire wear...it just so happens though that lowering springs would be the easiest way of doing that. No matter what tires you get, you will always experience uneven tire wear unless you somehow fix your negative camber issues.

P.S.
Keep in mind that if you drag race...negative camber is bad since you pretty much loose potential contact patch, but better for autocross since it'll help out in cornering.

Unfortunately, there are no camber kits to help fix the front...or are there?

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
That's what I did. I took the 2 front bald tires and put it in the back and took the 2 back tires to put it in the front. Hopefully it'll last for the summer so I can switch back to the OEM tires for the winter and hopefully get new performance tires for next summer.

So how much are the camber kits running for (front and back)? Can I do it myself or do I need to take it to a shop to get it done?

·
1,440 Posts
BlackShadow said:

So how much are the camber kits running for (front and back)? Can I do it myself or do I need to take it to a shop to get it done?
Camber kits for our cars only exist for the back. So...that in point, the lower you make your car without the proper camber kit...the more rice it gets because it'll hurt your performance.

I believe having even more than 3 degrees off is already bad for regular street driving.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
damn, the guy who aligned my car showed me the print out...the fronts were perfectly in spec...the rear was a little out of spec but in the safe range...on the road, the car stays straight...anyone have a real answer for me, and elegant do you have a rear control arm bar...where can I buy one...Shyne:king:

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Shyne said:
damn, the guy who aligned my car showed me the print out...the fronts were perfectly in spec...the rear was a little out of spec but in the safe range...on the road, the car stays straight...anyone have a real answer for me, and elegant do you have a rear control arm bar...where can I buy one...Shyne:king:
just cause it drives straight doesn't mean that your tires are not negativly tilted in. :D nevertheless....rotate tires every so thousand miles, get a camber kit. :) I don't have the rear control arm cause i'm flat broke..and I don't really see the need for it YET...since i'm running on stocks anyway! :D but you can check www.groupbuycenter.com and look for Specialty Products

here's their web site www.specprod.com

·
1,440 Posts
Shyne said:
on the road, the car stays straight...anyone have a real answer for me, and elegant do you have a rear control arm bar...where can I buy one...Shyne:king:
Your car can steer straight even with nagative camber...they aren't really related to each other. You can get all the alignment in the world you want and still not fix the issue.

Here...I used google to find this link.

http://www.accordracing.com/installations/camberkit.htm

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Shyne said:
..anyone have a real answer for me, and elegant do you have a rear control arm bar...where can I buy one...Shyne:king:
Well Shyne, excessive camber angles cause tread wear on one side of the tire only. With too much negative camber, the wear is on the inside.

Also keep in mind that loose or worn suspension parts can cause tire and alignment problems....

·
Jack This
2,318 Posts
Shyne said:
..anyone have a real answer for me, and elegant do you have a rear control arm bar...where can I buy one...Shyne:king:

ed is right. you're negative camber will not affect how straight you drive. Pulling to the LT or RT is a sign of toe alignment being off. Camber is what adjusts the vertical angle of your wheels. (ie, NEG leans IN, POS leans OUT).

I had my GSX slammed, w/camber kits and still went through NITTOs like butter. AND only on the inside. Often all the way to the steel belts. (of course Nittos are really soft)

If you keep your car lowered, you should get an aligment every 6 mos to a year, and rotate often. Every 3k miles for sure. If you notice signs of wear on the inner tread, you may be able to flip your tires. (Put the right tires on the left rims, and vice versa.) This'll cost you about $10/wheel, but hey....$40 a year, vs $700 a year for new tires = big savings.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
so all in all thank you for the help...i guess ill go the cheap route and rotate again...honestly, how many of you with a drop have had to go out and get camber kits for the front...i really dont wanna spend the extra dough, but if it gets really bad w/my 19's i just might...Shyne:king:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
interesting. i have comptech springs and my fornt are totally within spec, and i dont' see any irregular wears as well. my rear is another story coz' it's quite out of spec (you can see it).

shyne, you can go to for sale forum, jim is selling camber kits (you can just get the rear ones if you want) for some really nice price. it will help a lot

and just like what others said, camber doesn't affect whether you car go straight or not, and you need to rotate your tires more often

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.