Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
interested in learning about the handling of the 330's.

Here is an article I found for you guys re: your 330s handling w/ minor mods. Good to see they beat on Vipers, Porsches, and others:

2001 One Lap of America w/ a 330i - www.BMPDesign.com

2001 One Lap of America Fast cars, great sponsors, time trails, beautiful racetracks around the country and a week of driving surrounded by good friends. That’s the description of the
Car and Driver One Lap of America.

For the tenth year, I had the privilege of doing the track driving on the event that we use to raise funds for the Ronald McDonald House of Rochester. The Ronald McDonald House of Rochester is a home-away-from-home that provides lodging, emotional support, and comfort to families of children receiving medical treatment.

We could not have succeeded this year with out the generous support of Gault Auto Sport of Endicott, NY. Leo Portela arranged for us to use a new 2001 BMW 330i, which we entered in the mid-priced sedan class. The car performed flawlessly, it was comfortable to drive, and was quick at the tracks. BMP Design of Tyler Texas supplied an H&R coil over suspension kit and adjustable strut mounts to help optimize the handling for the critical track events at Watkins Glen (NY), Michigan International, Heartland Park (KS), Motorsport Ranch (TX), Road Atlanta, and Virginia International.
Since Michelin Tire is a primary sponsor of the event, we decided to run a set of Pilot radials on 18 inch BBS rims, they easily handled the extreme conditions thrown at them. Farmington Service assisted with the critical wheel alignment procedures that insured the car had neutral, secure handling at the tracks.

Genesee Valley Chapter members Nancy Becker and Adrienne Hughes co-drove the event with me and insured the car was ready to run while I was out walking the tracks.
Dave Lanni of Cable Systems Inc. was also a critical primary sponsor of the car.

The battle at the tracks was intense, we had a race prepared, furiously fast Ford Thunderbird also in our class. With over 450 hp out of its supercharged engine, the car was easily faster than the 330i on the straight-aways (and expelled volumes of oil smokewhile doing it).
The fabulous handling of the BMW kept me close in lap times, and we ended up splitting wins on the race track events. The BMW’s consistent drag strip performance (we were 3rd overall in the bracket races) gave us the critical points needed to win our class and finish 16th overall, ahead of a gaggle of Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, and other high horsepower machinery. Many competitors questioned if we had transplanted a new M3 motor under the hood. All I can say is the new BMW 330i, with the 220hp motor, is a fantastic car. Its fast enough for 99 percent of normal driving situations, smooth, comfortable, and evens masquerades as an economy car, as we averaged over 26 mpg for the entire event, including all the race laps.

BMW’s were well represented at the event, with 12 entries. Russ Wiles deserves special mention of his superb 8th place overall finish in a near stock M3 Lightweight.

Also congratulations to Dr. Stu Sacks and Pearce Sloan for their "One Lap of America" effort. The only modifications to their Audi tt were Supersprint performance exhaust, H&R suspension, and a performance chip.

·
Registered
14,297 Posts
ken, you really arent helping.... im trying not to think about the car cuz the wait is gonna kill me as it is!!!!!!!!!

:squintfin :squintfin

Oh and are you free on July 17th? :beerchug: :beerchug:

·
I am no one
14,751 Posts
Crazy_AcurA said:
ken, you really arent helping.... im trying not to think about the car cuz the wait is gonna kill me as it is!!!!!!!!!

:squintfin :squintfin

Oh and are you free on July 17th? :beerchug: :beerchug:
i am sure you will have a very hard time passing this 3 months :)

·
Registered
13,054 Posts
Driven said:
interested in learning about the handling of the 330's.

Here is an article I found for you guys re: your 330s handling w/ minor mods. Good to see they beat on Vipers, Porsches, and others:

2001 One Lap of America w/ a 330i - www.BMPDesign.com

2001 One Lap of America Fast cars, great sponsors, time trails, beautiful racetracks around the country and a week of driving surrounded by good friends. That’s the description of the
Car and Driver One Lap of America.

For the tenth year, I had the privilege of doing the track driving on the event that we use to raise funds for the Ronald McDonald House of Rochester. The Ronald McDonald House of Rochester is a home-away-from-home that provides lodging, emotional support, and comfort to families of children receiving medical treatment.

We could not have succeeded this year with out the generous support of Gault Auto Sport of Endicott, NY. Leo Portela arranged for us to use a new 2001 BMW 330i, which we entered in the mid-priced sedan class. The car performed flawlessly, it was comfortable to drive, and was quick at the tracks. BMP Design of Tyler Texas supplied an H&R coil over suspension kit and adjustable strut mounts to help optimize the handling for the critical track events at Watkins Glen (NY), Michigan International, Heartland Park (KS), Motorsport Ranch (TX), Road Atlanta, and Virginia International.
Since Michelin Tire is a primary sponsor of the event, we decided to run a set of Pilot radials on 18 inch BBS rims, they easily handled the extreme conditions thrown at them. Farmington Service assisted with the critical wheel alignment procedures that insured the car had neutral, secure handling at the tracks.

Genesee Valley Chapter members Nancy Becker and Adrienne Hughes co-drove the event with me and insured the car was ready to run while I was out walking the tracks.
Dave Lanni of Cable Systems Inc. was also a critical primary sponsor of the car.

The battle at the tracks was intense, we had a race prepared, furiously fast Ford Thunderbird also in our class. With over 450 hp out of its supercharged engine, the car was easily faster than the 330i on the straight-aways (and expelled volumes of oil smokewhile doing it).
The fabulous handling of the BMW kept me close in lap times, and we ended up splitting wins on the race track events. The BMW’s consistent drag strip performance (we were 3rd overall in the bracket races) gave us the critical points needed to win our class and finish 16th overall, ahead of a gaggle of Porsches, Vettes, Vipers, and other high horsepower machinery. Many competitors questioned if we had transplanted a new M3 motor under the hood. All I can say is the new BMW 330i, with the 220hp motor, is a fantastic car. Its fast enough for 99 percent of normal driving situations, smooth, comfortable, and evens masquerades as an economy car, as we averaged over 26 mpg for the entire event, including all the race laps.

BMW’s were well represented at the event, with 12 entries. Russ Wiles deserves special mention of his superb 8th place overall finish in a near stock M3 Lightweight.

Also congratulations to Dr. Stu Sacks and Pearce Sloan for their "One Lap of America" effort. The only modifications to their Audi tt were Supersprint performance exhaust, H&R suspension, and a performance chip.
:bs: :bs: ford t-bird ownz :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.