Acura World banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2020 RLX Sport Hybrid, though this question pertains equally to the MDX and NSX Sport Hybrid models.

I also live in one of the non-progressive states that imposes a $100 surcharge on annual registration/plate renewal for anything with "hybrid" in the name.

Given that this car gets worse MPG that every single compact gas car and SUV, and most midsize ones too, I'll go ballistic if I am nailed with a $100 fee on this car.

Has anyone that owns any Acura Sport Hybrid model and lives in an equally non-progressive state successfully disputed this fee? I looked up my state's dispute form (I live in Ohio) and it has no mechanism for explaining I use more gas than the guy next to me in a Focus. It's just "yes, it is a hybrid" or "no, it isn't" checkboxes

·
Registered
28 Posts
No such tax in New Mexico with my 19 MDX Hybrid or 18 RLX Hybrid. Not sure why Ohio would charge you more for a non plug-in hybrid AND the Acura hybrid system function more like a turbo or supercharger?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No such tax in New Mexico with my 19 MDX Hybrid or 18 RLX Hybrid. Not sure why Ohio would charge you more for a non plug-in hybrid AND the Acura hybrid system function more like a turbo or supercharger?
I can say that the intent our Republican-dominated legislature had was that hybrids (like the Prius) aren't using enough gas, and thus are responsible for the deficit in gas tax dollars used towards road maintenance and construction.

They clearly didn't think it through too carefully though since high MPG is but one use for hybridization, and even sports and exotic cars (Ferrari, etc.) increasingly use it just to get a lot of (cheap) performance. I think the RLX falls into this category, and it steams me that I have to pay a surcharge that compacts and midsize SUVs don't have to...while getting better MPG than I!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts