Acura World banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 RDX and a family member has a 2020 RDX, and the brakes squeak on both.

The rotors, pads and shoes on my 2018 were just replaced 5,000 miles ago, at a Honda dealership, and the 2020 RDX only has 10,000 miles on it total, and was purchased brand new.

Is this persistent brake squeaking a "known issue"? Has anybody else experienced this with the RDX, even across generations?

Thanks for any ideas!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Non of my Hondas or Acuras have ever had squely brakes! What kind of pads were used? Both Honda and Acuras use ceramic formulated pads as original equipment. Metallic brakes have a tendency to squeal. Metallic pads are usually cheaper. Ceramic brakes also dust less.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 RDX and a family member has a 2020 RDX, and the brakes squeak on both.

The rotors, pads and shoes on my 2018 were just replaced 5,000 miles ago, at a Honda dealership, and the 2020 RDX only has 10,000 miles on it total, and was purchased brand new.

Is this persistent brake squeaking a "known issue"? Has anybody else experienced this with the RDX, even across generations?

Thanks for any ideas!

Thanks for any ideas!
you go to Acura dealer ask for service campain brake squeal at low speed

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, everybody, for the helpful replies.

@Kevinmac I don't know with certainly which brake pads the Honda dealership used, but I would be surprised if a Honda dealership had used anything but Genuine Honda Parts. Sure, stranger things have happened, but that maintenance was performed just before I purchased the vehicle, so I may not have much luck in obtaining further information from said dealership. I'll report any useful findings, however.

@koushik That link to an actual bulletin is extremely helpful! The problem is that it doesn't seem to apply to my 2018 MDX. (Affected model years are 2019-2020.) It's probably safe to say that it's the same issue (even though it's across "generations"), but I may have a more difficult case to prove, with a 2018...

@trungvu1971 Do you have any specific experience with asking for this service campaign on a 2018 MDX? I ask only to underscore my concern with the aforementioned Service Bulletin applying only to the 2019-2020 model year, which was for a newer generation than the 2018.

Any further thoughts/guidance would be equally appreciated.

Thanks again for all the help thus far!

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for any ideas!
I have a 2018 RDX with 24,000 miles and we're having the same issue. It wasn't happening when we first got the vehicle but started happening after about 20,000 miles. The dealership acts oblivious to it and can't or won't eliminate the problem. They messed with it and resurfaced the rotors even though it wasn't needed and got the high pitch to go away at higher speeds but it still exists at lower speed braking. If you've come up with a better fix, please let me know. I'm tempted to go to a brake place but if this is happening with Acura factory pads, I'm worried I'd just be throwing away my money.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts