Acura World banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am just having all sorts of problems lately with my car. It seems once I get one thing fixed on the car...two more things go bad on it.

Background: I bought the car 4 years ago and 2 months after getting it I went to start the car and it turned on right away-no weak sounding power or starter---released the key to the II position and then the engine "puttered"/shook the entire car to low rpm's and then died (radio worked and all that) I was able to turn it over right away and it started up...it didn't do that again for at least a year...then from year 2-3 it did it probably once every three months or so...this year it is doing it more frequently (every month) up until this last month where it is doing it everyday...sometimes I am able to give it gas if it gives me enough time from start to dying...then once I let off the gas it comes back down and sputters/shakes until something (I dont know what) finally says ok in the engine...and it goes back to normal.

Thoughts???

I have done some research online but nothing that is useful...Solutions to a similar problem in other cars don't seem to make sense...my thoughts are fuel filter to start? Any other info can help though...

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I do have a bad EGR valve. I just read a few past forums about starting issues and that was the cause of one of the cars "shaking" when starting...could this be it? I was assuming it was a fuel related issue but could it be more of an exhaust issue?

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Could be. When you hit the key to the "on" position, do you hear the fuel pump priming?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I am not sure. I dont know what that sounds like. I replaced the EGR valve and it did it again that day so I know now its not that :-/

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Basically, you'll hear a buzz or hum for about a second when you turn the ignition to the "on" position. This will indicate that the fuel system is pressurizing.

A common quirky problem in most Honda vehicles after time is a faulty PGM-FI relay. When they are going bad, they will cause the vehicle not to start intermittently, usually when the vehicle's been sitting in the sun and the interior temperature gets high. This change in interior temp causes resistance within the relay itself, and causes the car not to start because the fuel pump isn't getting voltage.

Assuming that you've got no check engine lights lit when the car is finally running, this is a likely cause. Cheap part replacement, most often time under $20. It's located high up on the left underside of the dash, I can provide a diagram and some helpful tips on replacement if this seems to be the cause, as it can be a bear to get at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Having Same issue

Hello im new to this site and my car is also having the same issue as you listed. Did you ever figure out what was the issue and how to fix. If so i will really appreciate if you share the problem and solution.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I forgot to mention i have 2000 Acural TL 3.2. I bought the car used a couple months ago so i dont have much history on the car. But is seem to start up fine in the morning but after driving for a while if i turn it off and try to turn it back on im having the same issue as you previously describe.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Basically, you'll hear a buzz or hum for about a second when you turn the ignition to the "on" position. This will indicate that the fuel system is pressurizing.

A common quirky problem in most Honda vehicles after time is a faulty PGM-FI relay. When they are going bad, they will cause the vehicle not to start intermittently, usually when the vehicle's been sitting in the sun and the interior temperature gets high. This change in interior temp causes resistance within the relay itself, and causes the car not to start because the fuel pump isn't getting voltage.

Assuming that you've got no check engine lights lit when the car is finally running, this is a likely cause. Cheap part replacement, most often time under $20. It's located high up on the left underside of the dash, I can provide a diagram and some helpful tips on replacement if this seems to be the cause, as it can be a bear to get at.
See above :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya ALDO I ended up taking the car in after I myself replaced the EGR valve myself because it was still doing the same thing. The shop had to clean out the pipes to the EGR valve and install a bypass (there was alot of build-up in the pipes apparently)...I have not had the problem since. It is expensive for the labor so if you are engine savvy you may be able to do it yourself.

Hope this helps.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts