Acura World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my 2000 RL's steering wheels center shifts 5" ccw (left) after a left turn, and remains that way no matter what till shutdown. After every start up, the steering wheel always returns to normal, until the first left turn; whereupon, it shifts 5" to the left again. Anyone know what's going on. The front tires are new, a 4 wheel alignment was recently done, and it has 191,000 miles.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi, my 2000 RL's steering wheels center shifts 5" ccw (left) after a left turn, and remains that way no matter what till shutdown. After every start up, the steering wheel always returns to normal, until the first left turn; whereupon, it shifts 5" to the left again. Anyone know what's going on. The front tires are new, a 4 wheel alignment was recently done, and it has 191,000 miles.
Something is fubar in your steering racks valving. Time for a new rack. Most likely your entire steering system is f'd up with aluminum debris. You should replace the rack, the pump and the hoses and flush the steel lines lest you frag the new rack.

The rack BTW is a total bitch to get out and put the new unit in. Are you sure it's worth it?

I'd be worried this is a safety problem if you were to keep driving it.

Astrobuf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks all for your insights. I'm going to have a shop look at it today.

Some details: 1) the car tracks perfectly straight (if I let go, the car stays on a straight course), 2) it steers perfectly and feels solid through the steering wheel, and 3) it always returns to perfect center after shut down and stays centered after light turns; center cocks left only after a big left turn. Hoping it's not a rack replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Took it to a shop that specializes in Honda/Acura. They said the steering wheel center sensor is out (located in the steering assembly); thus, confusing the VSA(vehicle stability assist) unit, and causing it to erroneously recenter the steering. This is an expensive repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
hi may be the wheel alignment is off. When your wheel and axles aren't lined correctly you'll notice your steering wheel – and the whole front of the car – pull to the left or right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts