Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a TL-S w/Nav. I think although the stock stereo sounds ok, I'm in need of a bit more. I don't really need a changer, but the ability to play MP3's is a must. How does an un-stock radio look in that big empty space? Can I fill it with anything?

SAGE

·
Registered
16,149 Posts
i agree with Hatt. i did the same to my car...all else was modded, but i just grew used to the audio system...plus i REALLY liked the volume control on the wheel.

but if i DID do an audio system...the above link is the shiznit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks guys

Just wondering... If I were to change the stereo system, does this mean my wheel volume button will become unfunctional? If that's the case, then forget it, I wouldn't lose that for anything.

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
Re: thanks guys

SAGE said:
Just wondering... If I were to change the stereo system, does this mean my wheel volume button will become unfunctional? If that's the case, then forget it, I wouldn't lose that for anything.
If you installed A/M H/L, you're not be able to use steering wheel volumn control. :(

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
82 Posts
Okay, the BEST route is to replace head unit..and basically EVERYTHING else audio related....and that is going to cost well over $2000 with a good setup. I originally wanted to do that but considering the stupid problem with transmission and all..i'm not sure how long this car will last before I have to get rid of it so I try not to invest money in it too much....

With that said, retaining stock configuration as much as I can...I found that (with SB recommendation) replacing the speakers with Polk DX6 is best bang for the bucks...
Next, replace the crappy stock sub for some more bass with Kicker RMB8.
On that subject, the RMB8 comes in pair when you buy them. I bought a pair and only used one for the TLS sub. If you want to do the upgrade, I have the other one to sell...cost will be half of what I paid shipped to your door. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sub... Trans...

I previously owned an Acura TL 1999. I've never had problems with the trans although I've heard of other having problems with it. Now now own a 2003 (actually leased) TL-S.

With that said, what kind of driving do you do to have the trans go? I beat on my car a little bit I guess. I love the pickup when driving through the tolls on the Garden State Parkway. I drive many highway miles down interstate 78 and normally do between 90 and 100 mph but I don't consider that beating on the car.

Let's talk about this sub. If I wanted to keep my stock radio in dash, will the Sub you have for sale make my system sound better? And finally, how much are you asking for it?

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
82 Posts
Re: Sub... Trans...

SAGE said:
I previously owned an Acura TL 1999. I've never had problems with the trans although I've heard of other having problems with it. Now now own a 2003 (actually leased) TL-S.

With that said, what kind of driving do you do to have the trans go? I beat on my car a little bit I guess. I love the pickup when driving through the tolls on the Garden State Parkway. I drive many highway miles down interstate 78 and normally do between 90 and 100 mph but I don't consider that beating on the car.

Let's talk about this sub. If I wanted to keep my stock radio in dash, will the Sub you have for sale make my system sound better? And finally, how much are you asking for it?
Tranny: My tranny is still going strong..but I have heard (read) countless posts of people tranny going south on them and many are even on 2nd and 3rd replacement. As for as driving style, it seemed that doesn't matter how you drive the car..if it goes, it goes....that's the scary part.

Sub: Yes, the sub will definately give you better bass...listen to your stock ones..crank the bass button all the way up, and I can barely hear any bass at all...I replaced all my speakers with Polk DX6 (great cheap way) and sound is MUCH MUCH MUCH better..very crisp, clear....high and mid are all there... Dr. cookie intalled the RMB8 in his and he said it's A LOT better than stock sub....for under $100 for the replacement, you can't go wrong for better music...I need my bass :D

BTW, if you want the other sub, it'll be $80 shipped..that's half of the price i paid..basically we are splitting the pair up and the price.
Look for the thread on something like "I need a parter for TL sub replacement" or soething like that...there's an original link from DrCookie on more info about it as well as instruction to install and everything. I have a more thorough instruction and will forward it to you and will make the spacer for you too..all u have to do is put it in. Oh, I am ordering the sub now and they will be here this Friday...can't wait :D

·
Acuraworld Junior Member
82 Posts
Another reason why this sub was choosen is because it FITS into the stock sub location..thus your car will look stock and with much better bass. It will NOT sound as good as the $1000 professional sub in box/ amp but heck, for $80, it's a long way from that crappy "BLOSE" sub.
BTW, if someone one this other sub, please PM me or write me at [email protected] I dont check back here too often and might miss your message..thx.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Originally posted by SAGE
I have a TL-S w/Nav. I think although the stock stereo sounds ok, I'm in need of a bit more. I don't really need a changer, but the ability to play MP3's is a must.
You can get a 6-disc MP3/CD changer made by Alpine that can be controlled with your stock head unit...it's been done by someone here already. If your interested, then I'll dig up the posts about it...

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
johnnyb_s said:

You can get a 6-disc MP3/CD changer made by Alpine that can be controlled with your stock head unit...it's been done by someone here already. If your interested, then I'll dig up the posts about it...
Is it true all Alpine H/U can be controlled by our steering conrol unit?

·
Registered
336 Posts
sure guys..80 bucks for a sub, but what can power a sub without an external amp? thats another bill...:) 180 for a more powerful setup, yea i'd agree :) not 80, more like 180+ :)

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
randomwalk101 said:

I don't know about that..cuz according to SilverKnights, which drives a 2001 CL (uses the same HU as TL), the HU is made by Pioneer...
Really???

I thought all the H/U & Nav in Honda is Alpine. :rolleyes:

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
3,018 Posts
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.