Acura World banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I purchased my '03 TL S w/o NAV a few months ago the dealer told me that he believes that the HID's aren't stolen like previous years because they moved the chip from the headlamp. So far I haven't read about this being true. My conspiracy theory is that Acura is glad to sell these at $3000 to those ripped off. Would it be possible to file against acura since they are aware of this problem for a number of years?

I have 2 questions:

1. Is the chip really seperate?
2. How can I protect my car (HID Headlights) from being ripped apart.

P.S. I saw someone with a '99 TL peeled like a sardine can with a demolished front end from thieves trying to pry HID's. Once inside they noticed that it was the plain halogens and left everything behind. Now the guy is looking at some major body work and he didn't even have the HIDs!

PLEASE HELP...... I DON'T WANT TO BE A VICTIM!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There has to be something I can do to thwart off amateurs. Any suggestions welcome. If I can minimize the chances at all I'm game. If I would've known this to be a problem with acura TLs, I would NOT have purchased- and I recommend the same. It is such a [email protected]#$'d up feeling coming out to your car everyday, not knowing if the HIDs are still there.

All I have to say is [email protected]#$ Acura for not thinking of the consumer. This will be my third acura and last- I am just so disgusted.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,827 Posts
All I have to say is that your threat is based on your location. I personally (not to say it has not happened here... but) have never heard of a TL/TL-S's HIDs being ripped off here in FL - most of the ones I've heard are in NY / NJ. Again - not to say it doesn't happen here, but it happens a LOT more up there.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,827 Posts
Oh yeah - forgot to mention my weak attempts at prevention.

1) Always park in front of a wall as close as you can get to it if possible.
2) Leave your lights on when you leave the car. They shut off after you lock it anyway and if they somehow unlock your car and are opening the HIDs they will get a nice bliding / shock. :D
3) Get a low deductable insurance. Thieves will happen.
4) Park the car in a garage if at all possible. Most of the thefts I've heard of have been at night - some even in well-light well-seen places like the mall. :eek:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
369 Posts
I hate the feeling also, but it comes with the ride!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Humm This make me thinking if somehow we can have a relay trigger when they trying to cut the wires or something and zap the hell out of them :D


autoxCLS said:

2) Leave your lights on when you leave the car. They shut off after you lock it anyway and if they somehow unlock your car and are opening the HIDs they will get a nice bliding / shock. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,277 Posts
Booty Man said:
what chip??
Can't tell ya what chip it is cause that is just more:bs: from the dealer.

Unreal, why are salesman such fvcking liars! Makes me sick:mad:

Anyway, I'm sure the lying POS was trying to talk about the ballast's and I have not looked at a 2003 but IMO, it's in the same exact location. Mounted under the headlights.

acuratls, they were lying to you. Simple as that:mad:
 

·
Registered User
White Diamond Pearl '02 Acura TL Type S w/Navi
Joined
·
77 Posts
acuratls said:
... If I would've known this to be a problem with acura TLs, I would NOT have purchased- and I recommend the same.
...
All I have to say is [email protected]#$ Acura for not thinking of the consumer. This will be my third acura and last- I am just so disgusted.
You better hold up there! I could'a sworn that there are other cars with HIDs that are starting to suffer the same fate. I don't remember which ones... but I know some folks were posting that info a few months ago (might'a been on A-TL.com).

V.
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
no, there is no "chip" for the hids at all, the dealer was bs...... for hid, you hook up the ballasts and the bulbs and boom it's on. and i am pretty sure on both the 02 and 03, the ballasts are placed right under the headlight.

and protection? no.... let's put it this way. the way they steal it is, use a hammer to hammer down your bumper, then use a wrench or whatver to pry open the hood and also the two fenders. after that the headlight is right there........ so..... there is really nothing you can do.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Humm If they actual pry off the hood , then we can have a trigger to send a surge of electricity and zap the hell out of them when the hood is open and the alarm is armed ... :boink: :dunno:
 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
bigmonkey70 said:
Humm If they actual pry off the hood , then we can have a trigger to send a surge of electricity and zap the hell out of them when the hood is open and the alarm is armed ... :boink: :dunno:
actually i thought about that. if the hood is popped without the alarm being off, zap the hell out of the hood. but then i was thinking, anything legal on that?! umm....

randomwalk101, you can never underestimate service manager bud. they are incredible. i mean if you really take the time and talk to them, you will start believing that our cars can fly
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
201 Posts
if they have to open the hood to steal the lights, could we put one of those motorized cable locks to keep the hood closed? i've seen jeeps use these since they only have latches on the outside keeping the hood closed. in order to open the hood, one would have to push a button inside the car within a certain amount of time after turning on the car. if button is not pressed in time the cable motor doesn't work, thereby keeping the cable tight and not allowing the hood to be opened. (there is a way to release cable in case of battery failure).
peter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
93 Posts
Is it legal to carry a stunt gun ???



rominl said:


actually i thought about that. if the hood is popped without the alarm being off, zap the hell out of the hood. but then i was thinking, anything legal on that?! umm....

 

·
I am no one
Joined
·
14,751 Posts
Petrie2001 said:
if they have to open the hood to steal the lights, could we put one of those motorized cable locks to keep the hood closed? i've seen jeeps use these since they only have latches on the outside keeping the hood closed. in order to open the hood, one would have to push a button inside the car within a certain amount of time after turning on the car. if button is not pressed in time the cable motor doesn't work, thereby keeping the cable tight and not allowing the hood to be opened. (there is a way to release cable in case of battery failure).
peter.
it's not going to help. they don't pry OPEN your hood, but instead they pry both sides UP, and totally bend your hood metal
 

·
Bling_Bling INSPIRE 32V
Joined
·
3,018 Posts
bigmonkey70 said:
Is it legal to carry a stunt gun ???




Is it legal to steal the Headlamps?? :rolleyes: :sqnteek: :D
 
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top