Acura World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am becoming thoroughly frustrated with the job search. :mad: I was laid off in December and I've only had a handful of interviews. I thought the economy was supposed to be rebounding.... :dunno: Headhunters and recruiters can't even help right now.

I am almost ready to go ballistic. :misslefir Maybe I just need a :grouphug:.

-Maria

·
Registered
11 Posts
mfnlaw said:
I am becoming thoroughly frustrated with the job search. :mad: I was laid off in December and I've only had a handful of interviews. I thought the economy was supposed to be rebounding.... :dunno: Headhunters and recruiters can't even help right now.

I am almost ready to go ballistic. :misslefir Maybe I just need a :grouphug:.

-Maria
I need a hug too :(

I am in search of a job as well, it's going really really slow, so hang in there, something will turn up, hopefully i will be employed by next month.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I need a big damn hug......i cant find my best friend...hes out there drunk driving and im trying to find him...he knocked me out cuz i took the keys....fawk....i dont want to call the cops so they can find him....shyt...i think i better go out there and find him :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Maria,

Tell us a little more about what kind of law you practice and what you are looking for (job type and location) I know a legal recruiter very well and he covers most of the east coast north of NC.

However, as you have learned, recruiters have nothing. There are so many people out of work, those that are hiring are doing it by contacts and personal knowledge of the new hire - no one is paying recruiters for anything except the very top positions.

Also, You simply have to network your ass off. Call everyone that you know who might be somehow related to the area that you are interested in. Ask to meet with them for 30 minutes to "discuss my background quickly and see if there are any contacts or companies that they think you should be meeting with."

If they know of someone personally that would be a good contact, ask them to make a simple email introduction for you and then as them for a 30 minute meeting to simply discuss your background etc, etc. Always leave each conversation with one more person to talk/email to.

And downplay the question "do you have any openings?" when you are trying to simply set up a networking meeting. If they don't, then the conversation dies, "Gee, we don't have anything but I'll keep you in mind." Its the kiss of death.

Eventually, you will learn of new openings or "upgrades" that someone is planning that might not be a listed job yet. You then have the jump on the job and know several people who have met with you and know the hiring manager and can vouch for you.

I have been a "free agent" since Nov and have met or had conversations with 50+ people and have 60 more names to go through - nothing yet but getting close. I now know enough people in the space that I am looking that I can muster about 3-5 different contacts to send emails to the hiring manager about my abilities.

PM me if you want more ideas or moral support.

·
Super Moderator
1,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awwww, thanks guys! :) You made my day. Mike, I'll PM you when I have more than 5 minutes at the computer.

X3.2clsX, I hope you found your friend before anything bad happened. :-/

-M

·
Registered
5,154 Posts
Maria, you want me to come down to DC and give you a personal hug and nice cup of chai? :beerchug:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts