Acura World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Fire-Breathing Femme
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom called me tonight and told me that their garage burned down this afternoon, killing my dad's hand-built Cobra (see sig) and my mom's red S2K. :bigcry:

Thankfully, the rest of the house was mostly unharmed, and both my parents and their dogs are OK. I'm so glad that my mom was home to smell the fire before it spread, and that it didn't happen at night when everyone was asleep.

State Farm is going to hate them.

·
NO AMG, NO CARE
10,527 Posts
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Sooooooo sorry to hear about the loss of your car!! Glad to hear your parents are okay though :-x

Good luck w/ insurance...:sqnteek:

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Holy Christ....
What caused the fire? :cry:

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
:mad: i hate to see bad things happen to good people.

look at the bright side...ur dad can build another one!

Sorry to hear about your lost!

:eek: your mom had a red s2k!! thats one cool mom!!!

·
I WANT YOU!
5,787 Posts
It's a great thing that they (and the dogs) were unharmed!!!

Geez, I am so sorry to hear such terrible news! I really feel for them, especially your father. I doubt any amount of money can replace such a prized possession.

:(

·
Fire-Breathing Femme
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They don't know what caused it yet, although my mom knows it started with the Cobra because she smelled smoke and opened the garage door to find it on fire (before the rest of the garage went up). My sister told me that my mom went and got a hose and stood there wetting the garage down while she was waiting for the fire department to arrive...Mom's one tough mother! :eek:

My guess is an electrical fire. :dunno:

My dad's heartbroken, I'm sure - it took him 6 months to build that, and 5 years to tweak it into the lean, mean autocrossing machine it was until yesterday! However, he'll just use this as an excuse to build the Cobra Daytona Coupe he's been talking about ever since he finished the first one.

The insurance ought to be interesting: my parents have had State Farm for forever, for both their car and homeowner's insurance...and this is the second major claim they've had on the house. Hopefully they won't be dropped! Kind of makes me less irritated at the premiums I pay; my parents have gotten every penny back, and more.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Good to hear everyone is okay and no one was hurt. But I think I would consider the Cobra part of the family :(

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
I saw something on tv the other night about insurance companies not wanting to insure the cobra kit cars..... Now I know why!!!:bigcry: :eek:

·
Acuraworld Member
3,522 Posts
Man, that SUCKS!!! My condolences to your father on the loss of a beautiful machine....Glad that the house and all the family are still in tact though!!!

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I hope everything works out! :(

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
What was the cause of the fire? Any word from the cops yet?

·
Fire-Breathing Femme
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven't heard anything from my parents yet, although I left a message on my dad's new cell phone (he always swore he'd never have one, but finally gave in when I had Maddie and he wanted to be available for updates) a little while ago.

I doubt it was arson, but my dad IS a judge...he's had death threats a couple of times that I know about, but I seriously doubt this was anything other than dumb luck.

·
Fire-Breathing Femme
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
update

Just talked to my dad - they think it all started with an electrical fire, caused by faulty wiring. Damn Ford.

While the fire damage was limited to the garage, the smoke damage to the rest of the house is so extensive that they estimate it will take 4-6 months to repair. Basically, they're rebuilding it. Fortunately, the insurance company's going to pay for my parents to rent a house for that time.

As for the Cobra, insurance is going to pay full value of the car - but Dad's not sure how they're going to determine what that is. Apparently, though, the owner of Factory Five Racing (the kit company) called and said they'd help him out in any way they can to get him going again with another car. :bigok:

Also - my mom's my new hero (sorry, Nootch!). Not only did she hose down the garage until the fire department got there...she actually had to get on her hands and knees and crawl under black smoke to keep spraying! What a cool lady.

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Re: update

Phoenix said:

Also - my mom's my new hero (sorry, Nootch!). Not only did she hose down the garage until the fire department got there...she actually had to get on her hands and knees and crawl under black smoke to keep spraying! What a cool lady.

Hmmm... I'd be pissed at my mom for doign that... You can get overcome by smoke pretty easily, the last thing you want to do is bury two cars and your mom... Let the fire department do its job. The garden hose probably didn't do much anyway. Just a word of safety, if its too big, just get away cna call 911.

·
Fire-Breathing Femme
6,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
made me cry... :(

Mom sent me this last night:

:bigcry:

·
Registered
6,505 Posts
Re: update

Phoenix said:

hehe I can be your online hero still can't I?:beerchug: :D

·
Registered
7,736 Posts
Well... at least you didn't have these in the garage!

I had all those in my trunk for about two days... I brought them from my uncle's to my dad's. I didn't even know what was int he box... :eek: :cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts