Acura World banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I knew it was close, but not this close. I took my car in for an oil change yesterday and while it was on the lift, my service manager took me back and showed me my tires. They look like shit and have virtually no tread left, they are wearing down the wear bar now. I have 24k miles on the car right now.

So in about another 1k miles I will be getting new tires. I don't want to get the Michelins again, they suck and wore out way too quickly. As you all know there aren't many other options out there for our car, without upsizing or upgrading the rims. Well those are out of the question and I am going to stay with the stock size, wear rating, and speed rating. Atleast that is what I am shooting for.

So I start looking and I found these Yokohama's. They are the right size, wear, speed and load ratings. So I think they might work out just right.

{Edit: link didn't work, see post below for specs...}

But I wanted to know if anybody else had used these or Yokohama's in general. Thanks for your help guys/girls ;)

·
66 Posts
Just got my TL-S in late September so I haven't had to shop for tires yet.

By the way, I tried that link you posted but it doesn't bring up a valid webpage anymore.

Good luck on your tire search!

Later,

V.

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
vperkins2 said:
Just got my TL-S in late September so I haven't had to shop for tires yet.

By the way, I tried that link you posted but it doesn't bring up a valid webpage anymore.

Good luck on your tire search!

Later,

V.
Congrats on the purchase, and thanks for the heads-up about the link.

Here are the specs and whatnot of those yokohama tires:

Yokohama YK420
The all-new, all-season performance tire that delivers excellent handling, smooth ride and long wear.

$120.00 each
P215/50R-17 93V B
Reading the Tire Size

Treadwear: 420
Traction: A
Temperature: A
Source: Dallas Area

You want your tires to deliver the higher performance that was designed into your car but at the same time you insist on ride comfort and excellent wear. We teamed with Yokohama to build an all-new radial that would deliver on all counts. The YK420 performance radial utilizes the latest in tire design and manufacturing technology... including a long wearing, high traction compound, a unique tread design that delivers excellent traction in all seasons and high-tech engineering inside and out for a smooth, quiet ride. The YK420 is backed by a 65,000-mile limited wear warranty and now available at prices which make it a best value. Available only at your nearby Discount Tire /America's Tire store.

Cap Base Compound
Increases flexibility in lower temperatures for better all-season traction and increases rigidity at high temperatures to improve stability and handling.

Optimal Void Ratio
Computer-optimized tread to void ratio delivers maximum rubber-to-road contact for quicker response and improved safety.

Circumferential Grooves
The large circumferential grooves enhance high-speed stability while delivering outstanding water evacuation for excellent wet traction.

Contoured Bead Design
Precise tire-to-rim fit improves handling and delivers a very smooth ride.

20-degree V-Goove
A feature that makes the YK420 clearly different from the AVID designs, the grooves maximize water drainage and deliver superior wet traction.

65,000 mile limited tread wear warranty.

·
Premium Member
13,838 Posts
Kev,

Check my sig for the tires I have - I love 'em! They wear about as quickly as my stocks did (I got 18k out of the Michelins), and grip 1000% better. They're not as expensive as the Toyo Proxies T1S are ($160 or so a tire for Toyo vs $110 per tire for the Kumhos), and wet performance is EXCELLENT, with dry performance coming a close second.

The load rating is lower than stock, but I haven't had a problem with that. EricL will have something to say tho - and he has a point. However, for me, I just can't justify paying $50 more for a somewhat better tire in the T1S.

We need an empirical test done btw the Kumho and Toyo one day!

·
Registered
179 Posts
FYI: the s03's are the most over rated tire i have ever used/bought/seen.. size I have is 225x45x17

S03 Positives:

Great cornering
Good feel
Good wet weather traction (while moving)
Quiet and free of road noise

S03 Negatives:

Cant launch more then 1/2 throttle or I sit still making mosquito killing smoke
Cant launch at all when wet or damp.. dont move and walk sideways like a lobster
Dont even try driving with them on snow or slush unless you have a death wish
On the 2->1 downshift they roast and squeal
At 50 MPH I can break them loose ....

The tires are 6 Weeks old and have almost 2K miles on them... not good indications.. I have just ordered a set of RE730's to try which will be in on wednesday....

·
Moderator?
9,839 Posts
I just got the Dunlops (see sig) from Tirerack. They're not cheap, but they grip great and don't squeal around every corner. I've yet to break the loose despite a few WOT turns from a dead stop. They just quietly grip and go. Can't wait to test them in the rain.

I got 32000 from my stock tires and the Dunlops have a higher wear rating.

·
Premium Member
13,838 Posts
Remember - wear ratings are only a comparison within the same manufacturer. So - a 200 wear rating on a yoko (famous for horrible wear but amazing grip) is gonna wear faster than a 200 wear rating on a Michelin.

mdaniel said:

I got 32000 from my stock tires and the Dunlops have a higher wear rating.

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I want to stick with the stock size, so i won't be going with any other size than the 215/50/17.

And as autoxcls said the treadwear is mostly based on the manufacturor...and these yoko's being a 420 treadwear will definitley compare to the michelins.

I think that I will give them a shot, since they are the same load rating and speed rating as well. Can't hurt and I really need new tires.

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,113 Posts
DUNLOP SPORT 5000s
215-50-17

Best tires out there. Get em you'll love em.

I have explained way to many times how good these are, so just get them and see for yourself:D :D

·
baby polar bear
1,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pgatour1 said:
DUNLOP SPORT 5000s
215-50-17

Best tires out there. Get em you'll love em.

I have explained way to many times how good these are, so just get them and see for yourself:D :D
Load rating isn't the same, it is 91 and the stock is 93, so I want to stay there, plus they are $188/tire. Which I don't have the extra $68/tire right now b/c I am closing on my house in 2 days!

But they do look like good tires.

·
Moderator?
9,839 Posts
avengerjr said:

Load rating isn't the same, it is 91 and the stock is 93,
Someone posted a load rating chart on acura.cl. Even the 91's could handle the weight of the car plus 2000lbs of cargo and passengers.

·
Premium Member
13,838 Posts
225/45-17 is only 2% off of stock - that's 2mph at 100. ;)

And with a lower aspect sidewall, you get better handling.

Besides, most performance tire mfgrs don't make anything bigger than a 45 sidewall.

Kumhos bro! Ask Mark! He has em too!

avengerjr said:
I want to stick with the stock size, so i won't be going with any other size than the 215/50/17.

And as autoxcls said the treadwear is mostly based on the manufacturor...and these yoko's being a 420 treadwear will definitley compare to the michelins.

I think that I will give them a shot, since they are the same load rating and speed rating as well. Can't hurt and I really need new tires.

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,113 Posts
avengerjr said:

Load rating isn't the same, it is 91 and the stock is 93, so I want to stay there, plus they are $188/tire. Which I don't have the extra $68/tire right now b/c I am closing on my house in 2 days!

But they do look like good tires.
They fit the CL perfect though,
for the S I think 225-45-17s were perfect, don't quote me on that but check through some tire calcs and stuff.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
NO NO NO, all wrong.

you must get Bridgstone Potenza's RE730's 225/45/17 ZR.

these mo fuckas grip harder than hard. just got em 2k ago:D

i got them for $630 i think

·
Acuraworld Veteran
1,113 Posts
TypeS SmokesAll said:
NO NO NO, all wrong.

you must get Bridgstone Potenza's RE730's 225/45/17 ZR.

these mo fuckas grip harder than hard. just got em 2k ago:D

i got them for $630 i think
They are so loud, Tirerack and Discount Tires was turning people away from them becuase of ride noise, but they do grip, nothing like the dunlops do in wet or snow.

·
Yuck Foo
2,602 Posts
I just got Kumho Ecsta's too. I like them and paid $480 including a four wheel alignment, but the shop that did the work scratched one of my rims. :mad: (The total would have been $50 more, but they gave me a free alignment b/c they slightly scratched my rim.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts